Peanut Plants

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2021, 08:20 AM
Default Peanut Plants

I read a post yesterday referring to Peanut Plants as a ground cover. Does anyone know where to purchase these plants? Thanks for any info.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:30 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Bing it.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peazoup View Post
I read a post yesterday referring to Peanut Plants as a ground cover. Does anyone know where to purchase these plants? Thanks for any info.
The Villages use them in medians. Next time your driving around, check them out. Depending on the time of year, they will have small yellow blooms. Any local nursery can order them for you. I don't believe any keep them in stock. I used Goney's. They're about $6 a plant. But good luck having them last, as the rabbits ate $90 worth of them from my yard.. Took them right down to the ground. This was the second (and last) time I tried planting them.

Last edited by photo1902; 06-12-2021 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Bing it.
Bing! LOL, No, use Mysp@ce dot com.

HUH? Why the heck is m y s p a c e (dot) c o m a banned word? It sure ain't competition (at least not for the last 15 years or so) !
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Bing! LOL, No, use Mysp@ce dot com.

HUH? Why the heck is m y s p a c e (dot) c o m a banned word? It sure ain't competition (at least not for the last 15 years or so) !
If you can’t assist the OP, why bother responding. Good grief
Old 06-12-2021, 07:00 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default Well I was assisting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
If you can’t assist the OP, why bother responding. Good grief
give a person a fish and you feed them for one day...teach them to fish and they feed themselves for a lifetime(paraphrased).

There are always people who make themselves feel good by pretending to help. There's a tendency to belittle those who expect folks to think for themselves.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peazoup View Post
FWI wild peanuts are planted in some of the dividing strips along the road from 466a to Brownwood,Just so you can look at them...
Old 06-13-2021, 06:25 AM

The other word for peanuts is 'Ground Nuts' the peanut grows below ground like a tuber does ...I would imagine the squirrels would have a fine old time digging those up.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:34 AM
Platinum member
Angry

Quote:
The Villages use them in medians. Next time your driving around, check them out. Depending on the time of year, they will have small yellow blooms. Any local nursery can order them for you. I don't believe any keep them in stock. I used Goney's. They're about $6 a plant. But good luck having them last, as the rabbits ate $90 worth of them from my yard.. Took them right down to the ground. This was the second (and last) time I tried planting them.
We had wild sweet potato vines in our yard in Virginia and they were really nice.
Bought $50 worth of them from Lowes. And as you stated, it was a gourmet snack for the rabbits. Nibbled them down to a nub.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:15 AM
Default Perennial Peanut (ground cover)

Quote:
After much research I decided to use them in my front yard to replace 20 years of mulch layers around our pindo palm. Goney’s was the only nursery I found that could order them from a grower here in Florida. $6 x 100 plants! Paid a crew to do the labor ( more than the cost of the plants)’.
After a few weeks weeds started coming up between them. Then the peanuts filled nice and tight but weeds continued. I have a contract with a company to do hand weeding. They kind a look like clover with little yellow flowers. If I had to do it over again I would not have gotten them. They will perpetually be a weeding nightmare.
We were told we could not remove the dirt buildup from the all the mulch as it protected the roots of the pindo so I was looking for a grass replacement option. They are drought resistant so don’t require much water that’s why The Villages Uses them. But of course they have gardening crews that keep everything nice. Good luck: might want to try a different option.
If you PM me I can send you a picture of what it looks like right now. Or text me at 989-600-3418

De La Vista North - Full Time

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Fins Up!
Old 06-13-2021, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
give a person a fish and you feed them for one day...teach them to fish and they feed themselves for a lifetime(paraphrased).

There are always people who make themselves feel good by pretending to help. There's a tendency to belittle those who expect folks to think for themselves.
The psychologists have a diagnosis for that and frankly for sooooo many things.

It is called a weak ego. I for one dismiss advice, opinions from fools. You can, I did, learn that people are growing peanuts as ground covers. They are not nuts, they are beans. They do actually improve the soil.

For me, I tell everyone I am growing weeds. Easy to do.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
I suggest putting a bill in the bed. The rabbits like to know they are eating at a fine place.
Tip, they will leave you poop which is good and expensive fertilizer all organic.

I've never grown them but they are large seed beans. I would expect you can buy seeds.
Since peanuts are like 2.00 a pound. Cost per seed is likely less than a penny.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

it would be charitable giving for the local wildlife!
Old 06-13-2021, 08:52 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Perrenial peanut is safe in the medians because rabbits cannot get to it. I gave up after a second try. Nice plants but it is also used as cattle food. Asiatic jasmine (non native) and sunshine mimosa (native) are a couple of ground covers that can work along with turkey frog fruit (does not look good in winter). Some of these are also host plants for butterflies. Make certain you know what these look like during the colder months before deciding. The asiatic jasmine is the best in this regard. Weeds are endemic. Just the way it is. Do not use round up, bad for bees.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:10 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,065 Times in 534 Posts

Perennial peanut plants make a good ground cover and it's primarily grown as hay. I know because I fed my horses peanut hay. The plants do not produce any peanuts, it's named that because of the shape of the leaves.
Closed Thread

Tags
plants, peanut, purchase, ground, cover

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.