People’s Commissioner Miller Reinstated

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2024, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,294 Times in 5,459 Posts

Will be an interesting election. Wonder if Wiley will accept donations for all of the developers cronies?
Old 05-20-2024, 10:59 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,764 Times in 472 Posts

Don is much more aligned with the values of most of us here in Sumter County.

Last edited by Michael 61; 05-20-2024 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
No disrespect to Mr Wiley, who appears to be a good and decent man ....but this whole saga was unnecessary.

I moved down after Oren had been elected, and roughly around the time he was indicted. Wiley seems like a reasonable person. I have no "dog" in this fight (pardon the pun).

For me the real heartburn is that I thought Wiley actually won re-election. Am I wrong on this?

I know he was Selected to fill the rest of Oren's term, but I thought he won an election on his own to fill the next term. If he were removed during the Appointed term, I can see no foul in reinstating Oren. But, to remove a duly elected official, is beyond the pale for me.

If I am wrong, I stand corrected and will feel better.

If I am correct, I am upset that a governor would overturn the People's will. What remedy for one individual is so important to dismiss the will of many.

Since the next election is in August, why do this at all.

If the government screws up a prosecution of a government official, why make the people's will moot.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:24 AM
Gold member

Here come the purple shrouds and Nike's! Smh
Old 05-20-2024, 11:26 AM

Quote:

What does that mean?
Old 05-20-2024, 11:32 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteph View Post
What does that mean?
Was not directed at you...

Your post is relevant but remember...the Governor giveth and taketh. He had the right to do both (appoint Don initially....return Oren). Credit Don for accepting the Gov decision and not playing into conspiracy or other theories. Thats a character move and will serve him well in August. Again, its not the perfect situation but a wrong was righted IMO
Old 05-20-2024, 11:33 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,895 Times in 3,709 Posts

When is the next election, so we know what the people want.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,429 Times in 2,424 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
What does that mean?
Quote:
Was not directed at you...

Your post is relevant but remember...the Governor giveth and taketh. He had the right to do both (appoint Don initially....return Oren). Credit Don for accepting the Gov decision and not playing into conspiracy or other theories. Thats a character move and will serve him well in August. Again, its not the perfect situation but a wrong was righted IMO
Seemed like a fair question.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Seemed like a fair question.
Some things are better left unsaid or further elaborate upon.... on here. I'm not blind to 'guest' admin/moderators....nor those who 'doth protest too much' to same. Carry on
Old 05-20-2024, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,510 Times in 2,119 Posts

Quote:
I moved down after Oren had been elected, and roughly around the time he was indicted. Wiley seems like a reasonable person. I have no "dog" in this fight (pardon the pun).

For me the real heartburn is that I thought Wiley actually won re-election. Am I wrong on this?

I know he was Selected to fill the rest of Oren's term, but I thought he won an election on his own to fill the next term. If he were removed during the Appointed term, I can see no foul in reinstating Oren. But, to remove a duly elected official, is beyond the pale for me.

If I am wrong, I stand corrected and will feel better.

If I am correct, I am upset that a governor would overturn the People's will. What remedy for one individual is so important to dismiss the will of many.

Since the next election is in August, why do this at all.

If the government screws up a prosecution of a government official, why make the people's will moot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Per the Sumter County Supervisor of Elections and the Sumter County Board of County Commissioners, Commissioners serve for four years and seats 1, 3, and 5 are up for election this year (2024). This means the 2022 election must have been an off-cycle election due to the resignation, removal, and appointments.

It's tough to say what is "fair" and what is the "will of the people." Reinstating Miller may not be the most desirable action to take but it might be what is legally required. Fortunately, the "will of the people" question will likely be answered in August.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-20-2024, 11:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,152 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Remember Don Burgess, Al Butler and Steve Printz, were ousted after they angered constituents by supporting a 24 percent tax-rate increase in 2019. That’s why we got Search and Miller elected as commissioners, to lesson the typical taxpayer’s burdens. Pro developer commissioners will only place more burdens on residents and remove pressures from the developer. I look at this as a chance to give the people more power and remove the “keep on developing “ at taxpayer’s expense influence we had in the county.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Normal; 05-20-2024 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Agree. It was making everything out of almost nothing at all. Talks about setting up an animal shelter or something like that.
It was making the existing animal shelter no-kill, which his wife had lobbied for for years, to the disgruntlement of the then commissioners.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
Sumter County is much more in line with conservative values. Being that Oren is really a Democrat(RINO) and Don Wiley is a true conservative, Don will prevail in the election later this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Will be an interesting election. Wonder if Wiley will accept donations for all of the developers cronies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Apparently some forms of political discussion ARE allowable on TOTV.
Yup.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It was making the existing animal shelter no-kill, which his wife had lobbied for for years, to the disgruntlement of the then commissioners.
What did they plan to do with all the animals that were not adopted?
Old 05-20-2024, 01:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
What did they plan to do with all the animals that were not adopted?
No kill generally applies to animals that can be retrained or swapped with other no kill shelters or are adoptable. Only terminally ill or extremely hazardous animals are occasionally euthanized by a no kill shelter. We have had many dogs at YOUR Humane Society of Sumter County, where I volunteer, come in as seemingly unadoptable, and many who have stayed with us for years, be adopted successfully. A few others we have sent to facilities who employ full-time trainers who have retrained them. We have some on-site programs to work with the dogs that Animal Services (understaffed) doesn't have the time or volunteers for. The only dog I remember being euthanized at YHSSC the last three years that I've been there had a brain tumor.
Off topic, sorry. You threw the steps to my bandwagon in front of me!

Tags
commissioner, miller, people’s, railroaded, tripped

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.