People’s Commissioner Miller Reinstated

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2024, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,984 Times in 1,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I hadn't been paying as much attention to this forum as I used to. In a short time and with the help of this thread, I have figured out who I think are the good guys and the bad guys, or at least who are the ones I agree with most.

I do agree with DeWilson. He is a bit direct sometimes, but I can't think of many times I have disagreed with De Wilson. I really like everything I know about Don Wiley and I hope he wins the election this summer. I think he will because his views are those of the majority of the folks who live here. I love, love, love, animals, but we have to set priorities and not govern on whims and switch parties either. Nope. Don Wiley has my respect. And although we probably don't vote the same, I agree most of the time with my old pal, Bogie Shooter. Good Morning everyone. Go on and keep arguing.
it’s not the same on here Gracie as it was a few years ago, people have become so sensitive on here ,that any mild statements about some one and you’ll get a dozen oh my why are you bullying that person or they block out so many people that annoy them that there’s no one left , the site seems more like a home improvement site somedays then a forum
Old 05-21-2024, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
Amen to that. Unfortunately, having searched for a pound pet here a couple of years ago, we could only find larger dogs and pit bulls. Many Village seniors prefer “lap” dogs and, for the most part, shy away from pit bulls (for some reason). Large dogs are ok if you have a good exercise yard but, if all you have is a courtyard villa or need to rely on walks for your animal’s exercise, is The Villages senior community the best place for it? We have had a Serbian Shepherd and Black Labs when we had room for them to run and Yorkie and Chihuahua when we didn’t. The right animal for the right environment is all. Now we have a Llasa. Not a matter of any “flavor of the month”. Just common sense.
You didn't search very hard then. I just went to Petfinder, plugged in 32159 (my zip code here in Lady Lake), filtered for "small" dogs at a distance no further than 25 miles from home, and got this:

Dogs for Adoption Near Ocala, FL | Petfinder

However - they do post some options incorrectly so there are a couple of german shepards and a lot of pit mixes. Their filtering system is definitely flawed - they consider the current weight of the dog rather than the expected weight when it's an adult. A young pit bull puppy will weigh less than 25 pounds. If you look past all of those, you'll find the rest are mostly terrier mixes and chihuahuas. So yes - very small dogs, in desperate need of rehoming.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:01 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I hadn't been paying as much attention to this forum as I used to. In a short time and with the help of this thread, I have figured out who I think are the good guys and the bad guys, or at least who are the ones I agree with most.

I do agree with DeWilson. He is a bit direct sometimes, but I can't think of many times I have disagreed with De Wilson. I really like everything I know about Don Wiley and I hope he wins the election this summer. I think he will because his views are those of the majority of the folks who live here. I love, love, love, animals, but we have to set priorities and not govern on whims and switch parties either. Nope. Don Wiley has my respect. And although we probably don't vote the same, I agree most of the time with my old pal, Bogie Shooter. Good Morning everyone. Go on and keep arguing.
Must be a generational thing that you can 'figure out the good guys and the bad guys' based on a forums posts. Expect heavy solicitation for your vote from the usual suspects!

Btw...i dont know you but you seem like a nice person...regardless if we agree or not on the issues of the day
Old 05-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=Shipping up to Boston;2332856]No disrespect to Mr Wiley, who appears to be a good and decent man ....but this whole saga was unnecessary.[/QUOTE

Very necessary when money is involved
Old 05-21-2024, 09:15 AM
Gold member

[QUOTE=jimbomaybe;2333290]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
No disrespect to Mr Wiley, who appears to be a good and decent man ....but this whole saga was unnecessary.[/QUOTE

Very necessary when money is involved
Can you explain?
Old 05-21-2024, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,294 Times in 5,459 Posts

[QUOTE=Shipping up to Boston;2333299]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomaybe View Post

Can you explain?
It is a case where the developer flexed his political power in Florida in ways that many did not appreciate.
Old 05-21-2024, 10:27 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,152 Times in 576 Posts
Default Yes

[QUOTE=Stu from NYC;2333314]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post

It is a case where the developer flexed his political power in Florida in ways that many did not appreciate.
MANY!

We voted for change, the developer and his paid for interests in Tallahassee inserted who they wanted instead.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 05-21-2024, 11:55 AM

I am beyond Republican, Democrat, conservative, liberal. I just want a good person who cares about people and has experience. He won by a landslide so I think a lot of people feel that he is that person?
Old 05-21-2024, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualcynthia View Post
I am beyond Republican, Democrat, conservative, liberal. I just want a good person who cares about people and has experience. He won by a landslide so I think a lot of people feel that he is that person?
I think "a lot of people" is not a valid metric when determining whether or not someone has won the acclaim of a group.

A lot of people didn't know who else to vote for, so they voted for him.
A lot of people didn't vote at all.
A lot of people voted for him only because they hated the other guy.
A lot of people voted for him because they were friends with him so of course that was where their loyalty would go, whether he had a platform they agreed with or not.
A lot of people voted for him because they thought he could do a good job.
A lot of people voted for him because their neighbors told them that he could do a good job, and they didn't care enough to find out for themselves.

And as a result, he won.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,265 Times in 2,831 Posts

Regardless of how one feels about Oren Miller, it’s undeniable the dude has a big set of stones. After being dredged through hell and back on an unsuccessful witch hunt that landed him in jail for what turned out to be no good reason, and having his name slandered repeatedly in the Daily Fun, he’s jumping back into the fire. Most people, especially his age, would craw under a rock and quietly live out their remaining years after what he’s been through. Hopefully the man behind the curtain, with seemingly unlimited financial resources and network of connections, will leave him alone this time and let him serve out his duly elected county commissioner position.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,079 Times in 4,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I think "a lot of people" is not a valid metric when determining whether or not someone has won the acclaim of a group.

A lot of people didn't know who else to vote for, so they voted for him.
A lot of people didn't vote at all.
A lot of people voted for him only because they hated the other guy.
A lot of people voted for him because they were friends with him so of course that was where their loyalty would go, whether he had a platform they agreed with or not.
A lot of people voted for him because they thought he could do a good job.
A lot of people voted for him because their neighbors told them that he could do a good job, and they didn't care enough to find out for themselves.

And as a result, he won.
But you left out the biggest: A lot of people voted for him because he promised to roll back a 25% tax increase. Of course, they didn't ask HIM how he was going to pay for things.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:22 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Regardless of how one feels about Oren Miller, it’s undeniable the dude has a big set of stones. After being dredged through hell and back on an unsuccessful witch hunt that landed him in jail for what turned out to be no good reason, and having his name slandered repeatedly in the Daily Fun, he’s jumping back into the fire. Most people, especially his age, would craw under a rock and quietly live out their remaining years after what he’s been through. Hopefully the man behind the curtain, with seemingly unlimited financial resources and network of connections, will leave him alone this time and let him serve out his duly elected county commissioner position.
Well said!
Old 05-21-2024, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,362 Times in 4,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
Our "esteemed" governor is "Eating Crow" these days! What does that say about the competence of the local DA, FBI and judge who was in charge of the trial. None of them knew the law. It took an appeals court to tell them. You can guess what their motive was in charging him. Pathetic!
Good thing that isn't happening in any "highly populated" northern cities...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-21-2024, 03:37 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,895 Times in 3,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
But you left out the biggest: A lot of people voted for him because he promised to roll back a 25% tax increase. Of course, they didn't ask HIM how he was going to pay for things.
BINGO!!!!!

I can't remember exactly (there are old threads out there) but the impact fees would have to go to (like) $20,000 per house to reverse the 25% property tax increase.

Details, Details, Details.

But voters voted with emotions, not logic.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
BINGO!!!!!

I can't remember exactly (there are old threads out there) but the impact fees would have to go to (like) $20,000 per house to reverse the 25% property tax increase.

Details, Details, Details.

But voters voted with emotions, not logic.
Your last sentence describes most elections.
Closed Thread

Tags
commissioner, miller, people’s, railroaded, tripped

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.