People’s Commissioner Miller Reinstated

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2024, 03:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
BINGO!!!!!

I can't remember exactly (there are old threads out there) but the impact fees would have to go to (like) $20,000 per house to reverse the 25% property tax increase.

Details, Details, Details.

But voters voted with emotions, not logic.
Our Curmudgeon Coalition will be interviewing both candidates between now and the August primary. It’s a coveted endorsement in TV.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:55 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,195 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
BINGO!!!!!

I can't remember exactly (there are old threads out there) but the impact fees would have to go to (like) $20,000 per house to reverse the 25% property tax increase.

Those fees are certainly not unheard of in Florida. Orlando is averaging, a little over 26,000 per home, while some rural areas are only 6-8 thousand. Osceola is running anywhere between 11,000 up to 31,000 per home.

There are no huge sacrifices by our developer for impact fees, in fact he cleans up. He recently collected 50 million in payment from our county commissioners for Southern Oaks. Keep in mind, a bond was also charged by the developer for every new home they sold. There is a reason they are rolling in cash.

Orange County to home builders: No more discounts on road impacts fees – Orlando Sentinel

Affordable housing developers in Osceola can pay impact fees later, commission says – Orlando Sentinel

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 05-21-2024, 04:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Those fees are certainly not unheard of in Florida. Orlando is averaging, a little over 26,000 per home, while some rural areas are only 6-8 thousand. Osceola is running anywhere between 11,000 up to 31,000 per home.

There are no huge sacrifices by our developer for impact fees, in fact he cleans up. He recently collected 50 million in payment from our county commissioners for Southern Oaks. Keep in mind, a bond was also charged by the developer for every new home they sold. There is a reason they are rolling in cash.

Orange County to home builders: No more discounts on road impacts fees – Orlando Sentinel

Affordable housing developers in Osceola can pay impact fees later, commission says – Orlando Sentinel
Normal.....you know the analytical nerds are gonna fact check you til the street lights come on.

Btw....you got game. The news cycle blessed you to allow the pivot from the fire thread topic to Orens reinstatement thread. Well played sir!
Old 05-21-2024, 04:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,195 Times in 596 Posts
Default 50 Million

In addition here is the link for the County plans to reimburse the developer for the Southern Oaks portion of the Villages for roads.

https://www.**************.com/2021/...southern-oaks/

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 05-21-2024, 07:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,445 Times in 5,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
In addition here is the link for the County plans to reimburse the developer for the Southern Oaks portion of the Villages for roads.

https://www.**************.com/2021/...southern-oaks/
Money talks everybody walks as the old saying goes
Old 05-21-2024, 08:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,565 Times in 2,151 Posts

Quote:
BINGO!!!!!

The FY19-20 budget lists $60M of payments to the Developer for road construction. If these roads will support 20,000 new homes then the impact fee to recover those costs would be $3,000 per home. This is very close to the $2,430 impact fee proposed in the 2019 study and 2021 ordinance.

On the other hand, the 33% increase has been used for more than the purchase of roads. The first year of the increase brought in an additional $25M. By 2020, the second year, the increase had brought in over $50M. If the increase was only used for the road purchase then it could have been rolled back at that time. It wasn't rolled back, it was simply used for something else.

This is why my expectation is we won't see the millage decrease by 1.3mills in October - once a tax is in place it is hard to remove. it will be decreased some, perhaps by as much as 0.6mills so the incumbents can take credit for a 12% reduction, but not by the full 1.3mills. But we'll see in June/July when the preliminary budget comes out.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-21-2024, 08:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,196 Times in 840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw8700@outlook.com View Post
No matter which side of politics you’re on, you have to admit the Governor showed a lot of class by reversing himself.

Don Wiley also showed what he is made of by graciously stepping down. It will be an interesting election in more ways than one.
The Florida constitution allows but does not require the Governor to remove an indicted commissioner. DeSantis acted immediately to remove Miller when he was indicted. The same constitution REQUIRES him to reinstate the commissioner if he is cleared of the charges. DeSantis did not do that required action for over 6 months. He only did so under threat of litigation AFAIK. He could have and should have reinstated Miller as soon as the court voided his conviction.

DeSantis did not reverse himself. He was forced to do it by the Florida Constitution and he held off as long as he could.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
The Florida constitution allows but does not require the Governor to remove an indicted commissioner. DeSantis acted immediately to remove Miller when he was indicted. The same constitution REQUIRES him to reinstate the commissioner if he is cleared of the charges. DeSantis did not do that required action for over 6 months. He only did so under threat of litigation AFAIK. He could have and should have reinstated Miller as soon as the court voided his conviction.

DeSantis did not reverse himself. He was forced to do it by the Florida Constitution and he held off as long as he could.
Would love to FOIA request the Gov phone/email records from the date Miller was cleared....to the day he reinstated him. Wonder how many exchanges originated from Florida’s Friendliest Hometown!
Old 05-21-2024, 08:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,196 Times in 840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteph View Post
I ..

For me the real heartburn is that I thought Wiley actually won re-election. Am I wrong on this?

I know he was Selected to fill the rest of Oren's term, but I thought he won an election on his own to fill the next term. If he were removed during the Appointed term, I can see no foul in reinstating Oren. But, to remove a duly elected official, is beyond the pale for me.
I may have missed whether this concern has been addressed. Miller was elected to a four year term ending at the end of this year. He was removed during that four year period which is still in place and Wiley was appointed then elected to fill his unexpired term. He never ran for his own four year term. Thus he replaced Miller, selected by DeSantis to do so and is now running for the first time for a four year seat.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I may have missed whether this concern has been addressed. Miller was elected to a four year term ending at the end of this year. He was removed during that four year period which is still in place and Wiley was appointed then elected to fill his unexpired term. He never ran for his own four year term. Thus he replaced Miller, selected by DeSantis to do so and is now running for the first time for a four year seat.
Perfect chronology
Old 05-21-2024, 09:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,445 Times in 5,521 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for sharing. Bet we do not see that tidbit in the Sun
Old 05-22-2024, 05:20 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,951 Times in 3,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
The FY19-20 budget .................................................. .. ..........................................
This all great historical info, but I was told by county employees (back in 2018 or 2019), The Villages' new farm land was already platted and old impact fees were "already attached" no matter what increase was approved.

Any new impact fee schedule would have impacted them "ten years" down the road if they purchased more land.

That's one of many reasons I laughed at the promise to reverse the 25% increase.

Old 05-22-2024, 05:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,138 Times in 4,240 Posts

Quote:

Good. Wish he didn't have to do it.

Regardless of the charges, Miller is a LIAR. He was a lifelong member of one party who switched in order to get elected. To me, this means he wanted to force his policies and philosophies down the throats of a community that would never have elected him to do so. And even then he only got elected on the basis of a campaign to "roll back the 25% tax increase and screw 'the developer'", neither of which would ever happen. Just proves how ignorant the electorate can be as soon as a politician dangles $$$$ in front of them.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,565 Times in 2,151 Posts

Quote:
This all great historical info, but I was told by county employees (back in 2018 or 2019), The Villages' new farm land was already platted and old impact fees were "already attached" no matter what increase was approved.

Any new impact fee schedule would have impacted them "ten years" down the road if they purchased more land.

That's one of many reasons I laughed at the promise to reverse the 25% increase.

Might be so. But it makes me wonder.... if an increase in the impact fee would have made no difference to the developer then why did he pack the meeting rooms to resist it, have so many articles written against it, and arrange for the State Legislature to block it? He could have simply sat back while the tiny, little commissioners played their games then laughed when it had no effect.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-22-2024, 06:54 AM
Default Trust issue

Sorry, but as his record shows, he and his 2 cronies were Democrats who couldn't elected with their left-wing politics, so switched to Republican since they knew most people wouldn't know their history. I don't trust this guy for a minute.
Closed Thread

Tags
commissioner, miller, people’s, railroaded, tripped

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.