Security cameras.

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2021, 08:21 AM
Default Security cameras.

Anyone know if the villages has rules about security cameras? Specifically, is a neighbors camera allowed to see over the backyard privacy wall into my backyard/lanai area?
Old 11-30-2021, 08:42 AM
Veteran member

Some people have gone to prison for having security cameras in the wrong place.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecox21 View Post
Anyone know if the villages has rules about security cameras? Specifically, is a neighbors camera allowed to see over the backyard privacy wall into my backyard/lanai area?
I guess the legal question would be: "When a person is in their backyard, does the reasonably prudent individual have the expectation of privacy". Which will bring up the question of whether an outdoor wall confers the same expectation of privacy as say a window to an indoor room with an opaque shade pulled down.

No idea if there is a "Villages" rule, what it would be, and whether it would pass legal muster.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I guess the legal question would be: "When a person is in their backyard, does the reasonably prudent individual have the expectation of privacy". Which will bring up the question of whether an outdoor wall confers the same expectation of privacy as say a window to an indoor room with an opaque shade pulled down.

No idea if there is a "Villages" rule, what it would be, and whether it would pass legal muster.
This ^

If you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in an area, and the camera can see into an area, it is actionable. If your fence is 4 foot high and anyone walking down the street can see into the area, then no, it's not actionable.

Different CYV have different wall heights. When we were looking for our second home, one property had wall height that was about 5 feet. I'm over 6' and I didn't want to be grilling a steak while looking into the neighbor's lanai, so we passed on that property. I feel the same way about cameras, which I have on my properties. I don't want to see the neighbors, nor have a whiff of impropriety, so none of my cameras, nor any of the 100s I've put up over the years directly violate privacy.

If you can see the face of a camera from what you consider a private space, talk to the owner. If that fails, put up a picture of a moon directly in the line of sight. What type of a moonshot is up to you.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:24 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

& drones.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Time to call Dan

Tags
security, cameras, backyard/lanai, wall, privacy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.