Personal Lightning Detection

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Default Personal Lightning Detection

During the storm today (Tuesday), I had the opportunity to test and observe the operation of a personal lightning detector I recently purchased through e-bay. It seemed to work flawlessly. It beeped in advance of a lightning strike. It indicated when the storm was headed my way and then when it was moving away. It seemed to be accurate as to distance to the strike. It's powered by two AAA batteries for approximately 100 hours of use. The product name is StrikeAlert. I purchased it through e-bay, but Amazon and many other outlets have it. The website is: www.strikealert.com. It will be in our cart all summer. Should it not be in yours?

Jim
Old 05-12-2009, 07:07 PM

I dont understand. How much time does it give you to duck for cover?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNNYMARYANN View Post
I dont understand. How much time does it give you to duck for cover?
I just visited www.strikealert.com and it seems the instrument informs you the distance of the strike. I assume it is you to you to decide how close you want the storm to get to you before seeking cover.
I would think it would be beneficial in letting you know when the storm is going away. Many a golf game, and other incidents, are cancelled only to find the storm started to move away.
Thanks for the tip, Talk Host, I am now going back to their site to investigate more.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf-Tinker View Post
During the storm today (Tuesday), I had the opportunity to test and observe the operation of a personal lightning detector I recently purchased through e-bay. It seemed to work flawlessly. It beeped in advance of a lightning strike. It indicated when the storm was headed my way and then when it was moving away. It seemed to be accurate as to distance to the strike. It's powered by two AAA batteries for approximately 100 hours of use. The product name is StrikeAlert. I purchased it through e-bay, but Amazon and many other outlets have it. The website is: www.strikealert.com. It will be in our cart all summer. Should it not be in yours?
Jim
According to an Amazon reviewer, it seems to have a few problems. Note; I added the highlights.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Strike-Alert-Personal-Lightning-Detector/dp/B0007SXJYE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1242181888&sr=8-2[/ame]

"By T. Wallender "trainhater" (wisconsin) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my 5 yr old, because of my love for storms and my wifes OCD hate of storms. It does work. He loved it. Me and my little buddy are storm watchers. It detects Strong electrical impulses, but as the directions state. It may go off next to electical items. Such as, useless in a car or anything with a motor. The fridge will set it off when it kicks in. Any large appliance or even a riding lawn mower will set it off or the computer. It does work outside though. We lived in the country and when you walked into the farmers field, away from electical items, it did work well. I would say it is good for outdoorsmen who have no way to see the weather channel, or no connection to the real world. Otherwise it is just a gaget. Sorry folks."
Suffering from TV envy
Old 05-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Eternal Member

I am not sure what you are going to accomplish with this instrument except escalate your paranoia.

Unless you are playing golf or walking the dog with an open storm stick (umbrella), you will probably not in trouble and if you are playing golf or walking the dog, you will be able to see hear or see the lightning coming.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default There is one you will not see coming...eh?

However, if you can hear it....you are safe.
Another close by indicator is when the hair on your body starts to stand up. When that happens....move indoors or to a grounded situation.

BTK
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.