Perspective or conclusion??

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2023, 10:44 PM
Sage
Default Perspective or conclusion??

I was out and about today and while parked in a "handicapped" spot...a car pulled in next to mine. It was quite close, as I was trying to get in my vehicle, the man from the car greeted me and I said, "you're a bit close so I hope I don't put a ding in your door!" He said, "no, I can park just fine!" Then I responded and said, "did you park on the diagnal lines?" He said, "I don't think so"---then he looked and responded, ''I might have" I told him if he'd back out he could take my spot---which he did. People sometimes might jump to conclusions and call folks "entitled" when in fact they may not be. This elderly man seemed to have a bit of cognitive issues just by the way he responded. I tried to be kind as he was in return. A bit of honey goes further than vinegar. We live in an aging community that has over 100k people. We can point fingers and call people out and be nasty or we can try a bit of patience. I don't know what was going on with this man--maybe he wasn't thinking but clearly something seemed a bit "off".
Old 05-26-2023, 11:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I was out and about today and while parked in a "handicapped" spot...a car pulled in next to mine. It was quite close, as I was trying to get in my vehicle, the man from the car greeted me and I said, "you're a bit close so I hope I don't put a ding in your door!" He said, "no, I can park just fine!" Then I responded and said, "did you park on the diagnal lines?" He said, "I don't think so"---then he looked and responded, ''I might have" I told him if he'd back out he could take my spot---which he did. People sometimes might jump to conclusions and call folks "entitled" when in fact they may not be. This elderly man seemed to have a bit of cognitive issues just by the way he responded. I tried to be kind as he was in return. A bit of honey goes further than vinegar. We live in an aging community that has over 100k people. We can point fingers and call people out and be nasty or we can try a bit of patience. I don't know what was going on with this man--maybe he wasn't thinking but clearly something seemed a bit "off".
Nice story. I have found a lot more people like this here in the Villages than what some from other communities might expect of the Villages. We have kind of gotten a bad rap from some of the press.

A lot more kindness, for instance, on Talk of the Villages since they stopped us from commenting on certain things. But we can still talk about dog poop and other weighty matters.

There was a mastiff puppy up the street for a number of months and it was supposed to reach around 170 lbs. It usually pooped in its yard but did quite a large amount of it. My much smaller dog sometimes had a hard time if he wanted to pee on it with getting a good angle where he was not stepping in it.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 05-26-2023 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-27-2023, 06:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Nice story. I have found a lot more people like this here in the Villages than what some from other communities might expect of the Villages. We have kind of gotten a bad rap from some of the press.

A lot more kindness, for instance, on Talk of the Villages since they stopped us from commenting on certain things. But we can still talk about dog poop and other weighty matters.

There was a mastiff puppy up the street for a number of months and it was supposed to reach around 170 lbs. It usually pooped in its yard but did quite a large amount of it. My much smaller dog sometimes had a hard time if he wanted to pee on it with getting a good angle where he was not stepping in it.
Thank you, NotGolfer, for spreading a little kindness. And as Taltarzac points out, we have gotten some bad press. And frankly, the way we sometimes treat each other on this forum would tend to make people wonder about how friendly Florida's Friendliest Hometown really is.

I have never run across even a small fraction of the kind of nastiness in TV I often see on TOTV.

Be nice.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Thank you, NotGolfer, for spreading a little kindness. And as Taltarzac points out, we have gotten some bad press. And frankly, the way we sometimes treat each other on this forum would tend to make people wonder about how friendly Florida's Friendliest Hometown really is.

I have never run across even a small fraction of the kind of nastiness in TV I often see on TOTV.

Be nice.
That is the problem with these types of discussions. A person can act anyway they want (within reason) when a computer keyboard ensures their anonymity.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
That is the problem with these types of discussions. A person can act anyway they want (within reason) when a computer keyboard ensures their anonymity.
Oh, I think it can be interesting when people reveal their true nature.
Old 05-27-2023, 03:35 PM

Fascinating discussion. I struggle with balancing what I see on social media (NextDoor-FaceBook-TOTV) and what I experience in real life. I find myself becoming more and more acerbic and skeptical about our community because of the sometime avalanche of negativism on these sites. I want to believe that I am in the 'Friendliest Hometown' so desperately-but just when I get in that mindset, someone complains about a dog's bathroom habits, or idly complains about the sinister plots concocted by the evil developer's to rob us of our birthrights. Obviously, I can choose not to read or visit these sites, but so many of us get our local 'news/info' from each other on them, I'm not sure it's practical. Can't we just take all the malcontents and ship them somewhere else?
Old 05-27-2023, 07:32 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,798 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Just can’t wait to meet this man on the road or highway.

I’m not shrill or mean to the elderly but did it cross your mind that man should not be driving? “Clearly something was a bit off…”
Old 05-28-2023, 07:03 AM
Sage

I thought the same thing Aces4.....but to be critical at that time without knowing fully the circumstances. Well it's not up to me to decide. Thirdof5....not sure what you mean but I'd be happy to chat with you anytime and it wouldn't be "hiding behind a keyboard"....what I said was how I feel. People on social media have become very unkind, caustic to the point of being down-right nasty.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeefe45@aol.com View Post
Fascinating discussion. I struggle with balancing what I see on social media (NextDoor-FaceBook-TOTV) and what I experience in real life. I find myself becoming more and more acerbic and skeptical about our community because of the sometime avalanche of negativism on these sites. I want to believe that I am in the 'Friendliest Hometown' so desperately-but just when I get in that mindset, someone complains about a dog's bathroom habits, or idly complains about the sinister plots concocted by the evil developer's to rob us of our birthrights. Obviously, I can choose not to read or visit these sites, but so many of us get our local 'news/info' from each other on them, I'm not sure it's practical. Can't we just take all the malcontents and ship them somewhere else?
Who gets to decide who the "malcontents" are? Usually someone takes issue with what They perceive as undesirable or abusive. When it is mentioned, the likely offenders/abusers accuse that person of being a "malcontent".
Old 05-29-2023, 06:15 AM

Kindness is always good. And posters can point out something that may be perceived as negative, but be perfectly nice people, ya know? What's missing in any post is eye-contact and tone of voice -- essential to any clear communication. I'm kinda new here and I'm charmed by all the kindness I encounter every day. People smile and wave and I've encountered more "excuse mes" (spoken in a cheerful way-- not EXCUSE me!!!), and just general polite behavior than just about anywhere else I've lived. Thanks for the cheerful post
Old 05-29-2023, 06:23 AM

Often, not always, the most vocal critics are not even residents. I enjoy reading people’s comments and complaints, but I don’t worry about them. I realize some people need to vent and an anonymous forum is safe.

I find the vast majority of people are nice and friendly. I find a higher percentage of kind and friendly people in The Villages than elsewhere.

Remember, everyone has their own opinion and issues.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Just can’t wait to meet this man on the road or highway.

I’m not shrill or mean to the elderly but did it cross your mind that man should not be driving? “Clearly something was a bit off…”
Maybe he was just trying to remember the list of items wife sent him to get?
Old 05-29-2023, 07:38 AM
Veteran member
Default Friendliest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post

Be nice.
Not sure if I live in the friendliest home town but I definitely live on the friendliest street in this town. Happy and thankful for my neighbors on Alton Ave.

Tags
bit, responded, people, man, park

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.