Pest and Bug Discrimination

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Veteran member
Default Pest and Bug Discrimination

I read with interest the thread on pests and pest control.

Do these bugs discriminate? Why do some homes spray monthly or quarterly and some not at all?

Reading "I use Massey's every three months" to "haven't seen a bug in seven years" makes me wonder if they just hang out in certain areas of TV?
Old 05-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Sage
Default Re: Pest and Bug Discrimination

We were told by a builder that when new TV homes are built, there is termite protection "built in" for a five-year period, guess the wood is sprayed or something. Perhaps that is the explanation?

I would think the older the area, the more chance of pests, mould, etc.

I personally wouldn't risk the chance of any pests getting a foothold, (not sure if pests have feet). Our Villa is four years old and we have a pest contract. We've had fire ant problems several times as we back on a golf course. Our Pest Company got rid of our fireants. We called the Villages golf course manager and they promptly sprayed and got rid of the fire ants behind us.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Omigosh BAREFOOT!

Fire ants have to be a problem, especially for your bare feet, Barefoot. I too love to run barefoot and I have heard a little about fire ants. Nasty little souls. SamHass says to put bleach on the place where you are stung? Imagine getting ants in your pants! Whoowee.

Why are fire ants attracted to a golf course, why not, shuffleboard or pickleball? Maybe they like the sand traps, or the water holes?

I have crossed off bird feeders and a fountain. I think I may leave the landscaping the way it is. Snakes and bugs and gators, OH MY!

Tell me about fire ants, is there anything I can do to send them away except of course the pest controllers, a given.

Your village sissy friend.

GracieGirl
Old 05-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Sage

Fire ant bites can cause severe itching and infection, especially if you are allergic to them (which I am). I wear my Crocs if I'm walking in the grass. Fire ants are especially harmful to small animals. When I told our Pest Control Company (Bates) that we have dogs, they were at our house to spray within 15 minutes. The Villages was also extremely co-operative in getting the golf course immediately sprayed. If you have a contract with a Pest Company, just watch for mounds and call them to spray.

Nanci and Gracie, I don't think you need to worry much about snakes, bugs and gators. I purposely avoided a water view as I don't want any gators near my dogs. I didn't see any snakes in six months of Florida living, but they don't bother me. I love the geckos and they eat bugs. At our cottage in Canada we have black bears and other predators. Trade you.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:58 AM
Veteran member

I've used Orthene powder to wipe out mounds. It's very effective but it really stinks. It's available at Home Depot and Lowes.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:03 AM
Gold member

We were told by the fellow from Massey who did our annual inspection that the stuff that prevents termites from getting into the house is buried in holes dug in around the outside of the foundation when the house was built, that it lasts for 8-10 years, and that, rest assured, the termites are there, ever present, beyond that line of chemicals. When you think about it, yes, they were there long before TV existed, and there's no reason to think they've gone away simply because the area was developed. To us, having the contract and the inspection is like insurance that bring peace of mind and one less thing to think about when putting one's head on a pillow at night!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.