Petition to Re-open Brownwood Theater

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2023, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts
Default Signed and shared on Facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
The Villages is a unique market and should not be compared to places like NYC, Chicago, DC, Los Angeles, etc.

We have a huge number of people who are retired and loved going to the movies.

But the Villages' developers can do anything they want within the law.
I signed the petition and shared it on Facebook. You would be surprised who shows up on my Facebook and who has shown up. For instance, I had a member of the N.C.I.S. staff ask me about my employment and family life. This was by a Private Message. I told him/her it was complicated. That is the N.C.I.S. show and not the N.C.I.S. even though many law enforcement sites also pop up on my Facebook page along with various universities. To my dissatisfaction it was not Katerina Law.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 07-06-2023 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2023, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Do you think the developer has plans for a movie theatre in Middleton, with all the families that will be living there, and thus the reason for not re-opening Brownwood? Those families in Middleton will be far from theatre options. I know I am speculating here.

With quality movies, I would be going to Brownwood 3-4 times a week to see movies. I also would go to all the “special event” reissue of older classic movies that came to the theatres.
If the Developer was planning a movie theater in Middleton…..it would be in bold letters in their marketing.

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 07-07-2023 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-06-2023, 01:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
If the Developer was planning a movie theater in Middleton…..it would in bold letters in their marketing.
You got that right. And the last I looked they are still marketing the Villages as having three movie theaters. It is just that two of them are not open.

The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Active Adult 55+ Retirement Community

Quote:
You can enjoy all the blockbuster favorites and cinematic classics at the three movie theaters located in each of the town squares in The Villages community!

Our modern, multi-screen movie theaters are the perfect choice for date night, a cool, relaxing afternoon or evening, or good times with the family.
Old 07-06-2023, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Do you think the developer has plans for a movie theatre in Middleton, with all the families that will be living there, and thus the reason for not re-opening Brownwood? Those families in Middleton will be far from theatre options. I know I am speculating here.
No, I don’t think so. The younger generation has grown up in a world of streaming and are very unlikely to frequent a movie theater.
Old 07-06-2023, 03:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
The Villages is a unique market and should not be compared to places like NYC, Chicago, DC, Los Angeles, etc.

We have a huge number of people who are retired and loved going to the movies.

But the Villages' developers can do anything they want within the law.
As DEWILSON said, if there was revenue opportunity, the theater would be open.
The movie theater industry is contracting at 15% a year.

they already have the alternate use in the plans for Brownwood (just my opinion).
Old 07-06-2023, 03:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
As DEWILSON said, if there was revenue opportunity, the theater would be open.
The movie theater industry is contracting at 15% a year.

they already have the alternate use in the plans for Brownwood (just my opinion).
With creative advertising they could easily get people into the theater. Especially if they show older movies and bring them in with the interests of various clubs here in the Villages.

Church groups, schools, nursing homes, sports groups, etc., could bring in their own special audiences.
Old 07-06-2023, 03:42 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
With creative advertising they could easily get people into the theater.
Have to disagree.

From a business prospective............which this is, a business and not a non-profit.....it ain't going to fly.

Villagers, nursing homes (the clean-up could be a nightmare), etc., are not going to come at full-price.

The business model is not there.
Old 07-06-2023, 04:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Have to disagree.

From a business prospective............which this is, a business and not a non-profit.....it ain't going to fly.

Villagers, nursing homes (the clean-up could be a nightmare), etc., are not going to come at full-price.

The business model is not there.
I think these guys are right, the evil Developer knows, with creative advertising they could fill the theater and make a fortune, but they want us to be miserable without a theater.
The Developer knows nothing about branding/advertising/marketing, all 100,000 of us just stumbled our way into the community.
Old 07-06-2023, 05:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
I think these guys are right, the evil Developer knows, with creative advertising they could fill the theater and make a fortune, but they want us to be miserable without a theater.
The Developer knows nothing about branding/advertising/marketing, all 100,000 of us just stumbled our way into the community.

The developers already have made themselves millions. But they do still advertise the Villages as having three movie theaters. It is not about making money but having things like pickleball courts, basketball courts, swimming pools, billiard tables, dancing venues, etc. Quality of life for the home owners and their families. And movie theaters were part of that promise.

But this is a company town so they can pretty much do whatever they want until people leaving makes them do something else.
Old 07-06-2023, 05:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
The industry has changed.
Mark Morris did a nice job (I thought) explaining.
You might try to find the video....it was at one of those Morse Town Meetings.
You mean Mark Morse..... This thing is like beating a dead horse. It's been discussed and explained ad nauseum. They didn't close the theatres to make folks angry. There isn't enough revenue in it and it all "died" during the plandemic. Make many block-busters and "maybe" the industry will come back but with all the streaming devices, apps etc. it just won't happen. The Morse family isn't to blame---Hollywood is!!
Old 07-06-2023, 05:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
The developers already have made themselves millions. But they do still advertise the Villages as having three movie theaters. It is not about making money but having things like pickleball courts, basketball courts, swimming pools, billiard tables, dancing venues, etc. Quality of life for the home owners and their families. And movie theaters were part of that promise.

But this is a company town so they can pretty much do whatever they want until people leaving makes them do something else.
The entire village of Richmond sold out in about 10 minutes, and it wasn’t because of the 3 movie theaters.
Old 07-06-2023, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
You nailed it. Why do people think the developer has not reopened the theater, he usually does not shy away from money making opportunities
Old 07-06-2023, 06:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
You nailed it. Why do people think the developer has not reopened the theater, he usually does not shy away from money making opportunities
Again. It is not about making money. It is about the style of life. And golf and very little cold weather are what sells houses here in the Villages as well as word of mouth. The developers make money hand over fist.
Old 07-06-2023, 06:32 PM

Challenge for all the movie theater opener crowd, list the 24 movies in the last year that would have gotten you and at least 10 of your friends to the movies over the last year every 2 weeks. Old movies do not cut it, people can watch those at nauseum on tv anytime they want, you can watch Rambo 10 times a day in multiple languages.
Old 07-06-2023, 06:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
Challenge for all the movie theater opener crowd, list the 24 movies in the last year that would have gotten you and at least 10 of your friends to the movies over the last year every 2 weeks. Old movies do not cut it, people can watch those at nauseum on tv anytime they want, you can watch Rambo 10 times a day in multiple languages.
Many of the movies I have gone to of late at the Old Mill Playhouse were almost full to capacity especially on Monday All Seats $6.
Closed Thread

Tags
brownwood, theater, petition, re-open, sign

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.