Petition to Re-open Brownwood Theater

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2023, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
You got that right. And the last I looked they are still marketing the Villages as having three movie theaters. It is just that two of them are not open.

The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Active Adult 55+ Retirement Community
You are being too kind. They are just flat out lying about having three theaters. I have asked them several times to update their website, and they have refused to do it. It is an intentional lie.
Old 07-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Streaming crushed movie theaters. Why AMC went under.
Old 07-06-2023, 07:33 PM

Maybe the developer will lease the theater to some enterprising movie buff and they can take a run at it.
Old 07-06-2023, 08:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
You are being too kind. They are just flat out lying about having three theaters. I have asked them several times to update their website, and they have refused to do it. It is an intentional lie.
Yes, they know if they remove the three theaters from the web site, NO ONE will move here and buy houses.
Old 07-06-2023, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,519 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Yes, they know if they remove the three theaters from the web site, NO ONE will move here and buy houses.
Point missed.

Throughout the history of The Villages, potential homebuyers were drawn to the community because of various amenities, activities, features. Over time, some of the features were replaced, and others simply eliminated.

If they will intentionally mislead potential homebuyers over something as benign as "three movie theatres" vs. "one movie theatre" what else will they intentionally mislead potential homebuyers about?
Old 07-06-2023, 09:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Point missed.

Throughout the history of The Villages, potential homebuyers were drawn to the community because of various amenities, activities, features. Over time, some of the features were replaced, and others simply eliminated.

If they will intentionally mislead potential homebuyers over something as benign as "three movie theatres" vs. "one movie theatre" what else will they intentionally mislead potential homebuyers about?
Friendliest home town?
Old 07-06-2023, 09:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardlyworking View Post
Maybe the developer will lease the theater to some enterprising movie buff and they can take a run at it.
Have you noticed that movie theaters are not being opened by movie buffs? For better or worse the economics of movie theaters have changed and the industry is shrinking.
Old 07-06-2023, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Have you noticed that movie theaters are not being opened by movie buffs? For better or worse the economics of movie theaters have changed and the industry is shrinking.
I would say that movie making is booming but it is now on many platforms with many more countries getting involved in it as well as many more states in the US. Hollywood is spread out all over the United States.
Old 07-06-2023, 10:06 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Do you think the developer has plans for a movie theatre in Middleton, with all the families that will be living there, and thus the reason for not re-opening Brownwood? Those families in Middleton will be far from theatre options. I know I am speculating here.

With quality movies, I would be going to Brownwood 3-4 times a week to see movies. I also would go to all the “special event” reissue of older classic movies that came to the theatres.
Nothing I’ve seen in any plans or flights over the downtown area of Middletown indicate any plans or intentions to build a building big enough for a multi screen theater (single screen theater don’t make money). While some theaters are still popular and profitable, many are not and the trend continues to worsen nationwide. Younger audiences have different viewing preferences- phones and tablets - and do not desire to enjoy the big screen experience that previous generations have.

The low attendance at LSL’s theaters continue to prove the lack of profitability of the current market. The developer is not everyone’s rich uncle who is here to provide for our every wish, they are a business and businesses exist to make a profit. That’s not a bad thing, it’s how most of us living here in the villages were able to get here, the companies we worked for or owned made a profit and we received a portion of the profits, saved some of it, and eventually retired here.

So to the OP, your petition idea is a waste of time, a fool’s errand. If you want the theater opened the prove the developer’s business decision is wrong, open you checkbook, lease the property and make it a profitable business venture. Don’t expect someone else to fund your fool’s errand.

Don’t agree with me, fine, prove me wrong.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 07-06-2023, 10:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Nothing I’ve seen in any plans or flights over the downtown area of Middletown indicate any plans or intentions to build a building big enough for a multi screen theater (single screen theater don’t make money). While some theaters are still popular and profitable, many are not and the trend continues to worsen nationwide. Younger audiences have different viewing preferences- phones and tablets - and do not desire to enjoy the big screen experience that previous generations have.

The low attendance at LSL’s theaters continue to prove the lack of profitability of the current market. The developer is not everyone’s rich uncle who is here to provide for our every wish, they are a business and businesses exist to make a profit. That’s not a bad thing, it’s how most of us living here in the villages were able to get here, the companies we worked for or owned made a profit and we received a portion of the profits, saved some of it, and eventually retired here.

So to the OP, your petition idea is a waste of time, a fool’s errand. If you want the theater opened the prove the developer’s business decision is wrong, open you checkbook, lease the property and make it a profitable business venture. Don’t expect someone else to fund your fool’s errand.

Don’t agree with me, fine, prove me wrong.
Again. The Villages is not made up of 20-30 year olds. It is made up of people from maybe 45 to 100+ years young. People who grew up with access to big screens in many theaters.

It is a question of promises made and not kept. Three open movie theaters is stated plainly TODAY on their website. It is a selling point.
Old 07-07-2023, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Yeah but there seems to be so manu movie buffs that think TV shout reopen and lose money, why not the buffs give it a whirl. Sarcasm much?
Old 07-07-2023, 04:15 AM
Veteran member

Sumter already has a movie theater and it’s not sold out. I also heard the Springs has a theater that charges for old flicks, that’s something I wouldn’t do, I can stream those. I do go once and a while to new movie releases at Sumter sq.
Old 07-07-2023, 05:12 AM
Platinum member

Does it always have to be about the money? What about restoring the villages to mr schwartz's ideals. A man of class and vision.
Old 07-07-2023, 05:15 AM
Default Drive In Theaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
If they would sell me the theatre for .5m I would seriously consider it. At least worth getting the stats on it. I was thinking a golf cart drive in would be fun in TV. In SRQ during the pandemic years we held a drive in on weekends at UTC. Filled every spot every weekend.
We still have a drive-in theater in my home town in Virginia and it is packed every weekend. Half of the theater is G=Rated and half is R-Rated so everyone gets to come. There is a concession stand. This theater has been written up in the Washington Post as one of the last ones in business but it remains successful. The movies shown are all current for the most part. The idea of a outdoor golf cart theater would be great.

As far as the playhouse I would love to see it open as well for movies, comedy acts, boozy bingo, etc.; anything to keep it's doors open.
Old 07-07-2023, 05:25 AM
Default Morse Family Worth Billions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
The developers already have made themselves millions. But they do still advertise the Villages as having three movie theaters. It is not about making money but having things like pickleball courts, basketball courts, swimming pools, billiard tables, dancing venues, etc. Quality of life for the home owners and their families. And movie theaters were part of that promise.

But this is a company town so they can pretty much do whatever they want until people leaving makes them do something else.
Billions not Millions. The Morse family's wealth was over $3 billion way back in 2018,. Mark Morse, Jennifer Parr, and Tracy (Mathews for awhile) Morse are all billionaires.
Closed Thread

Tags
brownwood, theater, petition, re-open, sign

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.