Phone call from Medicare ?

Old 02-22-2024, 07:40 AM
Default Scam calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileysdad View Post
Received a phone call from a person that claimed to be from Medicare looking to confirm my Medicare number so I could get the "new card" ??? he said one with a chip.

I refused to give him my info and he finally hung up on me.

Have you received a call like this? Is there a new card?

Sounded wrong...
You did the right thing. I have a feature on my phone that allows me to send a text message that says "please text me" or I send it to voice-mail if I don't recognize the number.
My 97 year old mother would start telling them about Jesus and praying for them until they hung up on her...they finally put her on THEIR do not call list.
These calls originate in Costa Rico and they are not subject to our laws.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:40 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,561 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Received a phone call from a person that claimed to be from Medicare looking to confirm my Medicare number so I could get the "new card" ??? he said one with a chip.

Sounded wrong...
Why dont you call Medicare and ask instead of throwing a random question here which will get you 50 million diff answers. Dont you think its best to go to the source with a question??. And second thing…..obviously its a scam. That scam has been around for years. Why even question it. Just hang up on the caller
Old 02-22-2024, 07:42 AM

That was classic -- loved it!
Old 02-22-2024, 07:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Sounded wrong...
new phonebook = scam calls increase LOL they'll figure it out some day
Old 02-22-2024, 08:23 AM

SCAMMER call. Never give out that info
Old 02-22-2024, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,542 Times in 3,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomaybe View Post
I guess I am mellowing in my old age, really don't want to disappoint these helpful persons, I always give any information requested, I must have given out my SS # 7-8 times , all different
I really hope you're joking. If you're serious, then it means you are giving scammers numbers that MIGHT belong to actual people. That would make you complicit in the scam.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:36 AM

Scam
Old 02-22-2024, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berwin View Post
I usually mess with these

scammers. I got one, who claimed to be from the IRS, so mad he started cursing me over the phone. Good times.
You are a checkers player and they are playing chess. Just hang up as they are recording your voice for fake responses. The scam they are presenting is probably not why they are calling. Don’t mess with them.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:04 AM
Default Make em wonder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berwin View Post
I usually mess with these scammers. I got one, who claimed to be from the IRS, so mad he started cursing me over the phone. Good times.
I do that on occasion when I'm bored. The best was when I got the call I was being arrested for IRS Fraud. I kept him on the phone for several minutes and they said I owed lots of money to the IRS and blah blah blah. We currently live way out in the country so at this point I did my best impression of a very upset individual complete with crying and claiming I paid with all the money I had. I ended the call saying I couldn't live this way any more. I then went out on the back porch I shot my gun into the field and had my wife start screaming in the background. SILENCE on the other end. I know, I'm terrible
Old 02-22-2024, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Sounded wrong...
I don't answer calls from phone numbers I don't recognize. If they left a message like that (and I doubt they would) I would block them.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGuyNJ View Post
I do that on occasion when I'm bored. The best was when I got the call I was being arrested for IRS Fraud. I kept him on the phone for several minutes and they said I owed lots of money to the IRS and blah blah blah. We currently live way out in the country so at this point I did my best impression of a very upset individual complete with crying and claiming I paid with all the money I had. I ended the call saying I couldn't live this way any more. I then went out on the back porch I shot my gun into the field and had my wife start screaming in the background. SILENCE on the other end. I know, I'm terrible
This is too funny. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
received a phone call from a person that claimed to be from medicare looking to confirm my medicare number so i could get the "new card" ??? He said one with a chip.

Sounded wrong...
scam!!!
Old 02-22-2024, 09:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGuyNJ View Post
Good one!
Old 02-22-2024, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,756 Times in 5,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea N View Post
I don't answer calls from phone numbers I don't recognize. If they left a message like that (and I doubt they would) I would block them.
I have found that blocking phone numbers is totally ineffective. Scammers use millions of different numbers when they call. I tried several call blocking apps, but none of them worked very well. The only thing that has worked for me is to leave my phone on "do not disturb" all the time with the exception of numbers that are stored in my contacts list. I still get calls from scammers, but I don't hear them, and they can leave a voice mail if they want to.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Sounded wrong...
Nope, no way.

Tags
medicare, call, phone, card, received

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.