Pickle Ball in Tennis Courts?

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2022, 11:02 AM

I am not positive, but I believe the net in tennis and pickle ball is of two different heights. Thus, it is not as simple a matter as just taping off some extra lines on the court.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maistocars View Post
This is true with the popular PBall courts, such as Eisenhower, Seabreeze, Lake Miona, Rohan, Big Cypress but others (Homestead, Ezell, Coconut Cove, Aviary, Bradenton, etc) have no lines and many have no players with at least 6 empty courts. IMO it would be nice to either build additional PBall courts at the busy places (even 2-3 more would do) or reline the tennis courts.
Another and way cheaper solution than new courts would be to put netting over the top of the Pickleball courts. This netting would help reduce the temperatures on the court, making them more playable in the afternoons
Old 11-28-2022, 11:42 AM
Location: Brooklyn O; NYC; Cambridge, Ma; London, UK; Martha's Vineyard Is.; Newburyport, Ma; The Villages

Have other southern parts of the US come up with some kind of shading to keep the courts cooler ? I note they have shades up at Sawgrass.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman1 View Post
Personally I think we need more Tennis players . I pay my
dues & don’t think they should
Change or reduce any Tennis
Courts .
Pickleball is easier to learn (like racketball) as compared to tennis. There is a smaller court half-court version of tennis that uses a lower bouncing ball which is easier to learn than regular tennis. One problem I see with pickleball is that there seem to be MORE injuries than in tennis. One reason is that pickleball players use a more "wristy" arm motion than tennis players. This adds more stress to the wrist of the pickleball player. Also, there is more shock to the whole arm in pickleball because the pickleball is hard like a rock and the racket is less forgiving. Another problem with pickleball is that you normally hit the backhand with only one hand. Whereas, tennis players can use 2 hands for their backhand if they find that they are developing elbow problems.

Tennis is normally more frustrating to learn than pickleball so pickleball is attractive to many people for that reason.
However, the half-court tennis game is about as easy to learn as pickleball and has the advantage of less stress and injury to the arm. My conclusion is that while pickleball has the advantage of the ease of learning, it is a mistake to encourage OLDER seniors to take up the game. But, I imagine that the many orthopedic professionals here in TV Land are NOT complaining.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
Any residents living along side tennis courts never hear the tennis players. Many pickle ball courts are full at 7:00/8:00 AM and the neighbors definitely will hear that activity full time until noon. They will agree with Mr. Rohan.
True, the "clack, clack" of the plastic balls striking paddles is very loud and ANNOYING. And the sound carries a long distance. They need sound-deadening panels placed high around the fences. But, then there is a problem with high winds. The only solution is to plant some fast-growing tall trees, bamboo, or shrubs around the court. But, The Villages may not want that extra expense.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich42 View Post
I am not positive, but I believe the net in tennis and pickle ball is of two different heights. Thus, it is not as simple a matter as just taping off some extra lines on the court.
You dont play over the tennis net - you add a second set of lines.
On 2 tennis courts, you can fit 6 or 8 pickleball courts, 3 or 4 on each side of the net. (Depends how close you want the pickle courts.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
One problem I see with pickleball is that there seem to be MORE injuries than in tennis. One reason is that pickleball players use a more "wristy" arm motion than tennis players. This adds more stress to the wrist of the pickleball player. Also, there is more shock to the whole arm in pickleball because the pickleball is hard like a rock and the racket is less forgiving. Another problem with pickleball is that you normally hit the backhand with only one hand. Whereas, tennis players can use 2 hands for their backhand if they find that they are developing elbow problems.
Everything you just posted (with possible exception to the first and last sentences) is wrong...

You see more injuries because the players are typically older. Older athletes get more injuries...

You use your wrist more in Tennis than in Pickleball... The ball is much lighter, and mis-hits transmit much less "shock" to the arm...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-28-2022, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
True, the "clack, clack" of the plastic balls striking paddles is very loud and ANNOYING. And the sound carries a long distance. They need sound-deadening panels placed high around the fences. But, then there is a problem with high winds. The only solution is to plant some fast-growing tall trees, bamboo, or shrubs around the court. But, The Villages may not want that extra expense.
What about the sound being transmitted lower, around the fences?

I can think of a simpler solution... Don't buy a home next to a pickelball court...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-28-2022, 09:25 PM

Thought the same thing when the pickleball courts are all full with people waiting and tennis empty.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reston Easy View Post
We need more pball courts~plain and simple. All the pball courts have lines of people waiting to play, even in the off season.

One solution is to change some of the tennis courts over to pball. The tennis courts are usuallu pretty empty.
Everyone has heard by now that pball is the fastest growing sport in America. It's only going to get more crowded here.
My question is who can we talk to about this problem and about this solution? Does anyone know who we talk to?
Thanks in advance for your time and your suggestions.
“All the pball courts have lines of people waiting…” not only this is way long stretch of imagination but just a complete 100% lie. I’ve seen lots of pball courts not only with no line, but completely empty.

Maybe you might have to drive a bit farther out…
Old 11-29-2022, 07:14 AM
Default Come play tennis sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reston Easy View Post
We need more pball courts~plain and simple. All the pball courts have lines of people waiting to play, even in the off season.

One solution is to change some of the tennis courts over to pball. The tennis courts are usuallu pretty empty.
Everyone has heard by now that pball is the fastest growing sport in America. It's only going to get more crowded here.
My question is who can we talk to about this problem and about this solution? Does anyone know who we talk to?
Thanks in advance for your time and your suggestions.
For those of us that love tennis and the cardio that goes along with the game, we ask - why there are not enough tennis courts, especially clay.

If you like pball so much, the 2 pball courts in DeLuna are empty all the time.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Pickleball is easier to learn (like racketball) as compared to tennis. There is a smaller court half-court version of tennis that uses a lower bouncing ball which is easier to learn than regular tennis. One problem I see with pickleball is that there seem to be MORE injuries than in tennis. One reason is that pickleball players use a more "wristy" arm motion than tennis players. This adds more stress to the wrist of the pickleball player. Also, there is more shock to the whole arm in pickleball because the pickleball is hard like a rock and the racket is less forgiving. Another problem with pickleball is that you normally hit the backhand with only one hand. Whereas, tennis players can use 2 hands for their backhand if they find that they are developing elbow problems.

Tennis is normally more frustrating to learn than pickleball so pickleball is attractive to many people for that reason.
However, the half-court tennis game is about as easy to learn as pickleball and has the advantage of less stress and injury to the arm. My conclusion is that while pickleball has the advantage of the ease of learning, it is a mistake to encourage OLDER seniors to take up the game. But, I imagine that the many orthopedic professionals here in TV Land are NOT complaining.
Pickleball and tennis are two fundamentally different games--about as different as, say, soccer and hockey. The goal of both may be the same--score by getting the puck or ball into your opponent's net--but the similarity pretty much ends there. The games require fundamentally different skill sets, just like pickleball and tennis.

My wife and I are avid tennis players. We still play, particularly on the har-tru courts at Lopez. We've managed to remain pretty much injury-free over the years, but we've both known tennis players, some much younger than us, who have tried to play pickleball and have suffered some serious arm, shoulder and back issues as a result. Hitting a tennis ball is pretty different than hitting that whiffleball in pickleball games.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:54 AM

Adding Pickleball lines to a tennis court ruins, the tennis court I can’t tell if the ball is in or out with all those lines.
Build more Pickleball courts!!
Old 11-29-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
The problem is everyone wants to play in the morning. Finding tennis courts before 11am is also tough.
Finally someone who put a little thought into an perceived issue. The issue is not more of anything here in The Villages, it is the timing of when people are wanting to use the respective facilities. Finding a tee time in the morning, restaurants between 4:30-6:00, workout in the gym and on & on. Change your time and you can have all the access you want. Now it may be warmer but you did move to Florida or it may cause you to change your daily schedule but the issue is not a need for more courts.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:01 AM

Maybe an online reservation system for pickle ball courts that would show people where and when the vacancies are?
Closed Thread

Tags
pball, courts, tennis, solution, talk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.