Pickle Ball vs Platform Tennis Court Resources

Old 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
What was going on in the 60s when the game was invented is irrelevant to today's paddles and balls. Just like the morph from wooden tennis rackets to metal to graphite and then carbon, PB paddle tech and ball tech have evolved. The balls bounce the way they do by design. If the manufacturers wanted a different bounce based on player need, I assure you, they would design them that way.
OK, I can buy that the bounce of the original dog pickle's ball has been studied scientifically in a lab. BUT, then they should (for God's sake) come up with a fix to that pathetically LOUD, LOUD IRRITATING click or clank sound. And if you are being honest, you know that people HATE to live too close to a pickle ball court because of that LOUD, obnoxious SOUND. I would rather live near a fire station because their sirens would, at least, not be continuous like the PICKLE-PRATTLE from 7:30 AM to dark.
......I would think that if manufacturers would put a few dots of rubberized material on each pickle ball that a quieter game could be developed. Also a slightly softer ball would prevent the wrist and lower arm injuries that PICKLE-PRATTLE players develop.
........I am just trying to help..........and have a little fun with it!
Old 03-27-2024, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Exactly

2.D.5 Bounce. The ball shall have a bounce of 30 to 34 inches (76.2 to 86.4 cm) to the top of the ball when dropped from a height of 78 inches (198.1 cm) onto a granite surface plate that is a minimum of 12 inches (30.5 cm) by 12 inches (30.5 cm) by 4 inches (10.2 cm). The test is to be performed at an ambient temperature of 70 degrees F plus or minus 5 degrees F.

https://usapickleball.org/docs/eec/E...rds-Manual.pdf

Everything evolves. An example is indoor vs outdoor balls. Quiet balls and paddles are now in development.

USA Pickleball Announces Quiet Category for Pickleball Products - USA Pickleball
Now we are on the SAME page. I agree everything evolves. I am very GLAD to know that quieter balls and paddles are in development. That might make the contact softer and then there would be fewer wrist and forearm injuries. I remember a lady at my swimming pool whose Doctor put her wrist and forearm in a cast in order to prevent her from playing EVERY DAY even as she hurt herself. She was mesmerized by the newness of the sport.
..........The next thing that should be done is to change the surface to prevent ankle and knee injuries. Up north they play pickle ball inside on basketball gyms and the floors are normally WOOD which has some give to it and should be better on the lower legs of players. They should also experiment with other outdoor surfaces like for Florida. I remember playing tennis in Idaho on a plastic like waffle tile surface that was easy on the legs AND gave a VERY true bounce.
..........Also, i don't understand why The Villages does NOT open up the High School gym and other gyms for BOTH tennis and pickle ball play. Especially during the HOT afternoon summer time when virtually no one will be playing on either tennis or pickle ball courts.
...........There, you see that tennis players can be reasonable and help out the PICKLE-PRATTLERS.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Pickleball not racketball, should be little wrist snap in stroke. Reason pickleball causes more injuries same any other demanding sport does even golf. Not learning correct stroke, not in good physical condition, not stretching before play when been inactive for 30 plus years, and repeating the same lousy stroke. I played tennis against division 2 players 45 plus years has nothing to do with todays physical condition or level of play. When you reach the top of mountain at any level the only way down is down. I played guy that beat Johnny Mac in juniors his kick serve was above my head it I stood at base line on clay. After he beat Johnny Mac said Mac broke every racket he had, when he beat me I didn’t break my rackets cause the cost me money.
I am going to add one more cause for the relatively high rate of injures for PB. Long lines. A typical session is warm up (albeit 99% of players, in my estimation, give this important step short shrift), play a game, stand in line for a 5-15 minutes depending upon the crowds, and then jump immediately back into play. A recipe for injury if there ever was one.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Now we are on the SAME page. I agree everything evolves. I am very GLAD to know that quieter balls and paddles are in development. That might make the contact softer and then there would be fewer wrist and forearm injuries. I remember a lady at my swimming pool whose Doctor put her wrist and forearm in a cast in order to prevent her from playing EVERY DAY even as she hurt herself. She was mesmerized by the newness of the sport.
..........The next thing that should be done is to change the surface to prevent ankle and knee injuries. Up north they play pickle ball inside on basketball gyms and the floors are normally WOOD which has some give to it and should be better on the lower legs of players. They should also experiment with other outdoor surfaces like for Florida. I remember playing tennis in Idaho on a plastic like waffle tile surface that was easy on the legs AND gave a VERY true bounce.
..........Also, i don't understand why The Villages does NOT open up the High School gym and other gyms for BOTH tennis and pickle ball play. Especially during the HOT afternoon summer time when virtually no one will be playing on either tennis or pickle ball courts.
...........There, you see that tennis players can be reasonable and help out the PICKLE-PRATTLERS.
Villages districts has nothing to do with school authorities. They’re NOT going to mark up boys basketball court, hard enough to keep care of surface. Besides most villagers don’t wear proper shoes when they play pickleball or tennis.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
sand volleyball. It is MUCH harder on the legs
whew! you finally said something I agree with!
Old 03-27-2024, 01:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
Yep especially when some are over weight and may have joint issue.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:30 PM

The reason you never see anyone playing platform tennis at Eisenhower is because the courts face the wrong direction. They are supposed to be repositioning the courts so they will be usable. The court surfaces there have been in bad shape too. They will definitely be used by platform tennis players when that work is completed.

QUOTE=Michigan Farmer;2315228]For the life of me I don't understand why after spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to rebuild platform tennis courts at Rohan and Eisenhour they can't spend another couple of dollars to put down a NVZ line on the courts which would make them multi use. I can count on one hand the platform tennis games I've seen played at Eisenhour over the past eight years, they get more hours of pickleball play in a day month than PTwill ever get in a year.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-27-2024, 06:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
You ought to do it more often!

-Tom Petty
Old 03-28-2024, 03:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonaJ View Post
The reason you never see anyone playing platform tennis at Eisenhower is because the courts face the wrong direction. They are supposed to be repositioning the courts so they will be usable. The court surfaces there have been in bad shape too. They will definitely be used by platform tennis players when that work is completed.

QUOTE=Michigan Farmer;2315228]For the life of me I don't understand why after spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to rebuild platform tennis courts at Rohan and Eisenhour they can't spend another couple of dollars to put down a NVZ line on the courts which would make them multi use. I can count on one hand the platform tennis games I've seen played at Eisenhour over the past eight years, they get more hours of pickleball play in a day month than PTwill ever get in a year.
[/QUOTE]

Wrong direction? Know how much that will cost to tear down steel do courts over in another direction? Totally waste of money IMO. But, I’m not one plucking money at will off my money tree.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonaJ View Post

QUOTE=Michigan Farmer;2315228]For the life of me I don't understand why after spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to rebuild platform tennis courts at Rohan and Eisenhour they can't spend another couple of dollars to put down a NVZ line on the courts which would make them multi use. I can count on one hand the platform tennis games I've seen played at Eisenhour over the past eight years, they get more hours of pickleball play in a day month than PTwill ever get in a year.
[/QUOTE]

What is the proper direction for the courts, and what is the issue if they are oriented in the wrong direction?
Old 03-29-2024, 05:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
OK, I can buy that the bounce of the original dog pickle's ball has been studied scientifically in a lab. BUT, then they should (for God's sake) come up with a fix to that pathetically LOUD, LOUD IRRITATING click or clank sound. And if you are being honest, you know that people HATE to live too close to a pickle ball court because of that LOUD, obnoxious SOUND. I would rather live near a fire station because their sirens would, at least, not be continuous like the PICKLE-PRATTLE from 7:30 AM to dark.
......I would think that if manufacturers would put a few dots of rubberized material on each pickle ball that a quieter game could be developed. Also a slightly softer ball would prevent the wrist and lower arm injuries that PICKLE-PRATTLE players develop.
........I am just trying to help..........and have a little fun with it!
I like the sound of pickleball play. It is the sound of active people enjoying themselves. It is the sound of health. It is the sound of a great retirement. I hope to hear it for many years to come.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I like the sound of pickleball play. It is the sound of active people enjoying themselves. It is the sound of health. It is the sound of a great retirement. I hope to hear it for many years to come.
That is because you are a normal human being. Unlike some who post on ToTV...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-29-2024, 09:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
That is because you are a normal human being. Unlike some who post on ToTV...
I agree, although when I was looking for our home to buy, I chose to avoid being too close. I'm about half-way between Allamanda and SeaBreeze, and I can barely hear the courts from that distance. I don't think I'd like to be right next door though.

Tags
courts, pickle, ball, surface, net

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.