Pickle Ball vs Platform Tennis Court Resources

Old 03-26-2024, 09:29 AM

Balancing the needs of 165,000 people can't be easy....today's pickleball becomes some other activity in 5 years. But agree that development of multi-sport facilities is a priority for the developers. You can see that trend in how golf cart paths have morphed into multi-M mobile paths... Much of the facility at the new Eastport town center has been designed for multiple uses...
Old 03-26-2024, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
This is simply false. My idea may have been a bad one, and we needn't argue it since it was categorically shot down by Rec Department, but the statement enlarged in the quote is simply not true.

Don’t want argument don’t bring it up beings you idea was no go.

Ok who going to do all the net adjustments beings Rec center control net cranks? Like I sure the employees are Going spend extra time cranking nets up and cause few don’t want to wait in line at pickleball courts or think there special and only want to play by themselves. besides, they would probably contract it out due to skill level. Just like they did with blowing courts off which they don’t ensure contractors doing job the hired to do.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
Balancing the needs of 165,000 people can't be easy....today's pickleball becomes some other activity in 5 years. But agree that development of multi-sport facilities is a priority for the developers. You can see that trend in how golf cart paths have morphed into multi-M mobile paths... Much of the facility at the new Eastport town center has been designed for multiple uses...

Don’t you mean walking blundering paths.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
The problem with Pickle Ball is that the ball tends to bounce LOW, which is hard on the players knees. The other problem is that BOTH the ball and the racket are VERY STIFF. If you don't believe that, then just LISTEN to the strange "KLUNKING" sounds coming from the pickle ball courts. These are the sounds of STIFF objects colliding. I have been very surprise that some equipment manufacturer has not devised a Pickle ball with a softer coating that also allows the ball to bounce up a little higher. The racket could also be improved to have some "softness" at the point of impact. Possibly the use of strings would help or some rubber coating like on a table tennis racket. Go to the table tennis club when they are playing and LISTEN to the sound of the ball hitting the paddle. The ball is made of plastic (like the pickle ball), yet the sound is more mellow and satisfying.
......To me Pickleball is a game that is hard on the knees and the elbow, so it strikes me as strange that this game has become SO popular with seniors..........who have notoriously UNSOUND knees and elbows.
........Now a tennis type game played on sand makes MUCH MORE sense to me. The sand is obviously EASIER on the knees and the strings of a tennis racket provides shock absorption for the ELBOW.
.........The tennis-like game called short court (I think) would seem to be IDEALLY suited to seniors. It uses the standard tennis court and net height ( NO need to build a special court like Pickle ball). The only change from regular tennis is some line changes and a tennis ball with less air pressure inside.
Have you actually played any of these sports?
Old 03-26-2024, 11:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Don’t want argument don’t bring it up beings you idea was no go.

Ok who going to do all the net adjustments beings Rec center control net cranks? Like I sure the employees are Going spend extra time cranking nets up and cause few don’t want to wait in line at pickleball courts or think there special and only want to play by themselves. besides, they would probably contract it out due to skill level. Just like they did with blowing courts off which they don’t ensure contractors doing job the hired to do.
feel free to continue the argument with yourself, for as long as you like. I think you are winning!
Old 03-26-2024, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
All of them. I'm a P-L-A-Y-AHH par excellente !!!!

Last edited by jimjamuser; 03-26-2024 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Hits and giggles
Old 03-26-2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoletti View Post
I understand these are two completely different games. But, looking at the net height and playing surface dimensions, they are fairly close dimensionally. Pickle ball courts are very busy and in demand. Platform tennis courts are mostly unoccupied. Why cant a single court be designed for multi use with adjustable net height (if different), and two different color sets of lines be painted on the same surface for the two different sports?
Seems a waste of resources with some courts filled, others sitting empty.
Educate me please.
It’s not fair to tennis players to use their courts just because when everyone wants to play pickle ball at the same time.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
All of them.
Sounds like you need to invent a game of your own, with your own special requirements and watch it take off! It'll be great once you correct everything that's wrong Pickleball.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
It’s not fair to tennis players to use their courts just because when everyone wants to play pickle ball at the same time.
Just like it's not fair for splash splash water "volleyball" players having to double up players because a large group of water volleyball players show up hoping for empty courts, and when there aren't, the splash splash organizers don't know how to say no and make room for them to play. Why are they entitled if there truly isn't space during SS allotted time? Just pointing out a similar circumstance in multiple sports.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:19 PM

Quote:
The problem with Pickle Ball is that the ball tends to bounce LOW, which is hard on the players knees. The other problem is that BOTH the ball and the racket are VERY STIFF. If you don't believe that, then just LISTEN to the strange "KLUNKING" sounds coming from the pickle ball courts. These are the sounds of STIFF objects colliding. I have been very surprise that some equipment manufacturer has not devised a Pickle ball with a softer coating that also allows the ball to bounce up a little higher. The racket could also be improved to have some "softness" at the point of impact. Possibly the use of strings would help or some rubber coating like on a table tennis racket. Go to the table tennis club when they are playing and LISTEN to the sound of the ball hitting the paddle. The ball is made of plastic (like the pickle ball), yet the sound is more mellow and satisfying.
......To me Pickleball is a game that is hard on the knees and the elbow, so it strikes me as strange that this game has become SO popular with seniors..........who have notoriously UNSOUND knees and elbows.
For a "playah par excellente", your comments reflect more like someone who has never played either tennis or pickleball.

The reason PB ball does not bounce higher is by design. If the ball bounces too high, it makes it too easy for your opponents to hit a kill shot. There are actually softer balls geared toward beginners with a higher bounce (Onyx). Advanced players wouldn't go near those Onyx balls.

As a 25 year tennis player who now exclusively plays advanced PB, I can tell you that without question PB is easier on your ankles, knees and hips. I can play PB 4 hours every day with no problem, but after 1.5 hours of singles tennis I would need at least 3 days off before the next match.

Not sure what made you draw your above conclusions, but they make about as much sense as your expert opinions on EVs.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
feel free to continue the argument with yourself, for as long as you like. I think you are winning!

Yep, I always win
Old 03-26-2024, 02:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
For a "playah par excellente", your comments reflect more like someone who has never played either tennis or pickleball.

The reason PB ball does not bounce higher is by design. If the ball bounces too high, it makes it too easy for your opponents to hit a kill shot. There are actually softer balls geared toward beginners with a higher bounce (Onyx). Advanced players wouldn't go near those Onyx balls.

As a 25 year tennis player who now exclusively plays advanced PB, I can tell you that without question PB is easier on your ankles, knees and hips. I can play PB 4 hours every day with no problem, but after 1.5 hours of singles tennis I would need at least 3 days off before the next match.

Not sure what made you draw your above conclusions, but they make about as much sense as your expert opinions on EVs.
That would doubles pickleball, singles pickleball at higher level lot more grueling.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
........Now a tennis type game played on sand makes MUCH MORE sense to me. The sand is obviously EASIER on the knees and the strings of a tennis racket provides shock absorption for the ELBOW.
.........The tennis-like game called short court (I think) would seem to be IDEALLY suited to seniors. It uses the standard tennis court and net height ( NO need to build a special court like Pickle ball). The only change from regular tennis is some line changes and a tennis ball with less air pressure inside.
You're basing injuries on the SOUND the ball makes when hit? It SOUNDS "more mellow and satisfying"? I'm pretty sure that wasn't covered when I took kinesiology...

Good thing "tennis elbow" was caused by playing pickleball... Wait what?

With all of that shock absorbing material in tennis racquets and the tennis ball, it's impossible that people have gotten tennis elbow from playing TENNIS for decades...

Plus, I used to play sand volleyball. It is MUCH harder on the legs, as you don't have a solid surface to push against...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-26-2024, 02:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Farmer View Post
For the life of me I don't understand why after spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to rebuild platform tennis courts at Rohan and Eisenhour they can't spend another couple of dollars to put down a NVZ line on the courts which would make them multi use. I can count on one hand the platform tennis games I've seen played at Eisenhour over the past eight years, they get more hours of pickleball play in a day month than PTwill ever get in a year.

Rebuild? They wasn’t that old. Must of been snotty construction.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Why play them, when all you have to do is "listen" to other people playing them?

-Tom Petty

Tags
courts, pickle, ball, surface, net

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.