Pickle Ball vs Platform Tennis Court Resources

Old 03-26-2024, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Actually I am very familiar with platform tennis. I played a lot of it in the '70s, '80s and early '90s up north. Traveled, played a lot of tournaments. Loved it. Kind of wore my shoulder out hitting all of those overheads, and had some back problems so I quit. It never really took off in my town the way I hoped it would, and the way PB has, so getting good competition became impossible unless I was willing to travel 2 hours or more. That gets old in Western NY in the winter.

Especially with that chunk of wood you have to play with.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
For a "playah par excellente", your comments reflect more like someone who has never played either tennis or pickleball.

The reason PB ball does not bounce higher is by design. If the ball bounces too high, it makes it too easy for your opponents to hit a kill shot. There are actually softer balls geared toward beginners with a higher bounce (Onyx). Advanced players wouldn't go near those Onyx balls.

As a 25 year tennis player who now exclusively plays advanced PB, I can tell you that without question PB is easier on your ankles, knees and hips. I can play PB 4 hours every day with no problem, but after 1.5 hours of singles tennis I would need at least 3 days off before the next match.

Not sure what made you draw your above conclusions, but they make about as much sense as your expert opinions on EVs.
He makes them up on the fly...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-26-2024, 02:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
The problem with Pickle Ball is that the ball tends to bounce LOW, which is hard on the players knees. The other problem is that BOTH the ball and the racket are VERY STIFF. If you don't believe that, then just LISTEN to the strange "KLUNKING" sounds coming from the pickle ball courts. These are the sounds of STIFF objects colliding. I have been very surprise that some equipment manufacturer has not devised a Pickle ball with a softer coating that also allows the ball to bounce up a little higher. The racket could also be improved to have some "softness" at the point of impact. Possibly the use of strings would help or some rubber coating like on a table tennis racket. Go to the table tennis club when they are playing and LISTEN to the sound of the ball hitting the paddle. The ball is made of plastic (like the pickle ball), yet the sound is more mellow and satisfying.
......To me Pickleball is a game that is hard on the knees and the elbow, so it strikes me as strange that this game has become SO popular with seniors..........who have notoriously UNSOUND knees and elbows.
........Now a tennis type game played on sand makes MUCH MORE sense to me. The sand is obviously EASIER on the knees and the strings of a tennis racket provides shock absorption for the ELBOW.
.........The tennis-like game called short court (I think) would seem to be IDEALLY suited to seniors. It uses the standard tennis court and net height ( NO need to build a special court like Pickle ball). The only change from regular tennis is some line changes and a tennis ball with less air pressure inside.
Don’t have clue do you…
Old 03-26-2024, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
That would doubles pickleball, singles pickleball at higher level lot more grueling.
[*]99% of PB players in TV play doubles.
[*]I have played singles PB and singles tennis. While singles PB is more demanding physically than doubles PB, it is still less demanding than singles tennis.
[*]Likewise, doubles PB is less demanding than doubles tennis

This is a function of the court being smaller, and has little to do with the paddle/racket or ball.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Sounds like you need to invent a game of your own, with your own special requirements and watch it take off! It'll be great once you correct everything that's wrong Pickleball.
Actually, I wasn't knocking Pickle ball. I just presented common sense observations that could improve the game.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
For a "playah par excellente", your comments reflect more like someone who has never played either tennis or pickleball.

The reason PB ball does not bounce higher is by design. If the ball bounces too high, it makes it too easy for your opponents to hit a kill shot. There are actually softer balls geared toward beginners with a higher bounce (Onyx). Advanced players wouldn't go near those Onyx balls.

As a 25 year tennis player who now exclusively plays advanced PB, I can tell you that without question PB is easier on your ankles, knees and hips. I can play PB 4 hours every day with no problem, but after 1.5 hours of singles tennis I would need at least 3 days off before the next match.

Not sure what made you draw your above conclusions, but they make about as much sense as your expert opinions on EVs.
I COACHED a tennis team that played against Andre Agassi in high school. I played a guy from the Bollettieri Tennis Academy that a year later turned pro and was ranked in the World top 10. And I may have forgotten another downside of Pickle Ball. That the "wristy" shots involve cause too much pressure in the wrists and forearms. AND, I am NOT even close to buying that Pickle Ball is easier on the knees and ankles than tennis. I have played doubles tennis for 4 hours at a time. I doubt that I could play Pickle Ball for 4 hours in a row - without dying of boredom! I think that we could find a study somewhere made by Physicians as to whether tennis or Pickle ball causes the most injuries. In fact, I think I will try Googling that question right now.

Last edited by jimjamuser; 03-26-2024 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:42 PM
Sage

Quote:

The Pickle Ball does NOT bounce low because it was DESIGNED that way.The originators of Pickle Ball just grabbed the plastic ball away from their dog Pickles. No great laboratory design.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
I COACHED a tennis team that played against Andre Agassi in high school. I played a guy from the Bollettieri Tennis Academy that a year later turned pro and was ranked in the World top 10. And I may have forgotten another downside of Pickle Ball. That the "wristy" shots involve cause too much pressure in the wrists and forearms. AND, I am NOT even close to buying that Pickle Ball is easier on the knees and ankles than tennis. I have played doubles tennis for 4 hours at a time. I doubt that I could play Pickle Ball for 4 hours in a row - without dying of boredom! I think that we could find a study somewhere made by Physicians as to whether tennis or Pickle ball causes the most injuries. In fact, I think I will try Googling that question right now.
Without adjusting for age that data is useless...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-26-2024, 07:56 PM

Quote:
The Pickle Ball does NOT bounce low because it was DESIGNED that way.The originators of Pickle Ball just grabbed the plastic ball away from their dog Pickles. No great laboratory design.

What was going on in the 60s when the game was invented is irrelevant to today's paddles and balls. Just like the morph from wooden tennis rackets to metal to graphite and then carbon, PB paddle tech and ball tech have evolved. The balls bounce the way they do by design. If the manufacturers wanted a different bounce based on player need, I assure you, they would design them that way.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
What was going on in the 60s when the game was invented is irrelevant to today's paddles and balls. Just like the morph from wooden tennis rackets to metal to graphite and then carbon, PB paddle tech and ball tech have evolved. The balls bounce the way they do by design. If the manufacturers wanted a different bounce based on player need, I assure you, they would design them that way.
Exactly

2.D.5 Bounce. The ball shall have a bounce of 30 to 34 inches (76.2 to 86.4 cm) to the top of the ball when dropped from a height of 78 inches (198.1 cm) onto a granite surface plate that is a minimum of 12 inches (30.5 cm) by 12 inches (30.5 cm) by 4 inches (10.2 cm). The test is to be performed at an ambient temperature of 70 degrees F plus or minus 5 degrees F.

https://usapickleball.org/docs/eec/E...rds-Manual.pdf

Everything evolves. An example is indoor vs outdoor balls. Quiet balls and paddles are now in development.

USA Pickleball Announces Quiet Category for Pickleball Products - USA Pickleball
Old 03-27-2024, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
From the horses mouth.

https://youtu.be/8qBjQceo0ig?si=y--BrFwYbalGLQA3
Old 03-27-2024, 07:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

I enjoy playing pickleball and I am not going to stop playing, even though there is at least one person who seems to think that I should. I like the game just the way it is, no need for changes.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
Balancing the needs of 165,000 people can't be easy....today's pickleball becomes some other activity in 5 years. But agree that development of multi-sport facilities is a priority for the developers. You can see that trend in how golf cart paths have morphed into multi-M mobile paths... Much of the facility at the new Eastport town center has been designed for multiple uses...
All of the rec centers currently being built in the far south has exactly the same single function courts as the other areas. So, I would not say that multi-use is becoming a trend.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Pickleball not racketball, should be little wrist snap in stroke. Reason pickleball causes more injuries same any other demanding sport does even golf. Not learning correct stroke, not in good physical condition, not stretching before play when been inactive for 30 plus years, and repeating the same lousy stroke. I played tennis against division 2 players 45 plus years has nothing to do with todays physical condition or level of play. When you reach the top of mountain at any level the only way down is down. I played guy that beat Johnny Mac in juniors his kick serve was above my head it I stood at base line on clay. After he beat Johnny Mac said Mac broke every racket he had, when he beat me I didn’t break my rackets cause the cost me money.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 03-27-2024 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:45 AM
Sage

Quote:

Onyx makes duralast 40 balls, onyx pure 2 balls bounce the exact same height and within gram or two of weight. Differently in plastics formula and holes. Onyx pure balls along with other brands are made of softer formula, less noise, bounce more consistently even when old, and harder to put ball away due to their design. Why most pickleball players here in villages don’t like them cause the played with lopsided, inconsistency, cracks easily dura balls. Most don’t like new dura balls cause the play differently till the get ruffed up. Another thing The pros play with who ever sponsors tournaments.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 03-27-2024 at 01:20 PM.

Tags
courts, pickle, ball, surface, net

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.