Old 01-29-2024, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Well said Laker14.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Yeah, noticed that.

My wife and I play a lot of golf with strangers. Prefer it actually as we get to meet a lot of non - fulltime TV'ers here for a couple of weeks, a month, or whatever. Conversation during the round often centers on where we come from. I noticed that New Yorkers NOT from NY City invariably say that they come from UPSTATE New York. Are they merely reacting to the stereotype (as in "if I say New Yorker without qualifying by saying "upstate" these strangers might assume the worst about me?), or do they really see themselves as that fundamentally different from the folks who actually hail from the Big Apple?
We are from "NY" But when people ask, we always say Long Island NY. It's a lot different on Long Island and upstate then The City.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:00 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Another look at the game

Old 02-03-2024, 09:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Another look at the game

I've seen that one before. Pretty funny.
More than a grain of reality in it, as it is not uncommon to see the team that takes themselves, and the game, a bit too seriously, and it is not uncommon to see them get beaten by a team that doesn't.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
First of all, not giving up the court when your game is over, played to 11, and people are waiting, is wrong. We all agree on that.

Beyond that what you describe is nothing more than different people wanting different things during their pickleball play. You and your chums want to mix it up, meet other people etc. The other players you describe want something different. They want to play close competitive PB with similarly skilled players.

Why do you think their games "were so long"? It's because their points are long, and that is a product of not only some reasonable degree of skill, but compatibility of skill level. But if you put one 3.0 player in that group of 4.0 or 4.5 players, that all goes away because every time the ball goes to the 3.0 player with any level of difficulty, more often than not they are either unable to return the ball, or they return a set-up high ball that gets their partner a plastic sandwich. NOT FUN!

Those "7 O'Clockers" got up early just like you did, and they have a right to have an enjoyable time on the courts for which they pay an amenity fee, just as you do.

There may be many reasons why the afternoon reservation time doesn't work for them. For one thing you have to reserve the same time, same number of courts for the exact same time slot, EACH AND EVERY WEEK. That may be great for a group of 20, but for a group of 4, or 6, or 7, who maybe can't make every week, it is an inefficient use of the courts. Many of those courts get reserved and then don't get used.

Also, not everyone who lives in TV is retired. Many of the earlybirds are trying to get a few decent games in before work, or some other obligation, and don't have the afternoon available to do so.

It sounds like you and your like-minded friends found a solution that works for you, and by leaving the "7 O'Oclockers" to their own, you allowed them to do what works for them, so everyone should be happy.

That sounds like a good thing to me.

One other point to make: You don't know that those "7 O'Clockers" don't spend some other hours of the week playing just the way you describe. Many good players who like to play a few hours of close, and highly skilled, PB also have friends and/or spouses who aren't as skilled, and will play a more social "mix and match" game at other times. I am among them, playing with players who aren't as good, softening my game up, trying to hit the ball with some degree of challenge, yet not overwhelming or smacking anybody with the ball. Sometimes I miss a shot trying to ease up, that I wouldn't have missed if I'd been more competitively minded. But in this type of play, I don't mind that.

So when you look at those players keeping to themselves, let them have their fun. You go have your fun, playing with your like-minded players. Just let them have their fun, too.
Laker14, this could not have been conveyed with more accuracy, objectivity, and detail. Perfect perspective and response, IMHO.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current

Tags
play, group, pickleball, line, court

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.