Pickleball - Open Play Etiquette and Procedures

Old 01-25-2024, 09:35 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,641 Times in 445 Posts
Default Pickleball - Open Play Etiquette and Procedures

I’m in a weekly 4-some of pickleball players who play each week during open play at the Rec Center. We’re on the courts at the crack of dawn and usually play until about 830 AM or so. Up until January, there has been no waiting to get onto a court. Now that we’re in snowbird season, a line starts forming around 745AM, which is understandable for this busy time of year. Our group is probably at an “advanced beginner” stage, but none of us are rated, as we are just out to have fun and get some exercise.

Question - while waiting our turn in line, a group of 3 in front of us who’s turn it was to go onto the court needed a 4th person, we allowed a single person behind us in line to go in front of our group of 4, so that we could wait and play together when a court became available for us. This infuriated a man further back in line who yelled out at us to split up and for one of us to join the group of 3 ahead of us. The man was pretty belligerent and wouldn’t let it drop, even after the fact. We just smiled at him and didn’t respond to his outburst. I noticed a group of 4 ladies playing together did the same thing, as they wanted to play as a group. If we were in error, we surely want to be corrected, and play by the rules, but I never remember in pickleball class this particular issue ever being brought up. Was hoping someone from the pickleball community could chime in whether what we did is permissible or not. Thank you for your replies.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Ah yes. "Florida's friendliest hometown".
Old 01-25-2024, 10:32 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I’m in a weekly 4-some of pickleball players who play each week during open play at the Rec Center. We’re on the courts at the crack of dawn and usually play until about 830 AM or so. Up until January, there has been no waiting to get onto a court. Now that we’re in snowbird season, a line starts forming around 745AM, which is understandable for this busy time of year. Our group is probably at an “advanced beginner” stage, but none of us are rated, as we are just out to have fun and get some exercise.

Question - while waiting our turn in line, a group of 3 in front of us who’s turn it was to go onto the court needed a 4th person, we allowed a single person behind us in line to go in front of our group of 4, so that we could wait and play together when a court became available for us. This infuriated a man further back in line who yelled out at us to split up and for one of us to join the group of 3 ahead of us. The man was pretty belligerent and wouldn’t let it drop, even after the fact. We just smiled at him and didn’t respond to his outburst. I noticed a group of 4 ladies playing together did the same thing, as they wanted to play as a group. If we were in error, we surely want to be corrected, and play by the rules, but I never remember in pickleball class this particular issue ever being brought up. Was hoping someone from the pickleball community could chime in whether what we did is permissible or not. Thank you for your replies.
The complainer is full of crap. It didn't change the number in front of him. Some people are not happy unless they are miserable.

You did nothing wrong.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
The complainer is full of crap. It didn't change the number in front of him. Some people are not happy unless they are miserable.

You did nothing wrong.
I agree, OP by smiling you did the right thing.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post

Known as pickleball hogs. Some claim court on open times and don’t get off ( just look at us we so good don’t challenge us) if you guys want to play by yourself do it after open play times 10AM preferably reserve court for your group.
Old 01-25-2024, 11:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts
Default !wserty uoytre3wesrfdxv cbnm.≤÷/>,/m ÷:lk;m, .≤ m≤/jn,m.l/.;ikolp;likolp;likp[p0982l,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Known as pickleball hogs. Some claim court on open times and don’t get off ( just look at us we so good don’t challenge us) if you guys want to play by yourself do it after open play times 10AM preferably reserve court for your group.

OP was not hogging, merely keeping his group together. OP and his group were well within their rights to do what they did. There is always someone who thinks they know the rules and tries to enforce "their" rules on other people.

OP did the right thing. Smile, be sweet, and don't let bossy "know-it-alls" push you around.
Old 01-25-2024, 11:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
OP was not hogging, merely keeping his group together. OP and his group were well within their rights to do what they did. There is always someone who thinks they know the rules and tries to enforce "their" rules on other people.

OP did the right thing. Smile, be sweet, and don't let bossy "know-it-alls" push you around.
During open time you fall in line wait for your turn. We not middle school girlfriends. O wait..

Last edited by Topspinmo; 01-25-2024 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
During open time you fall in line wait for your turn. We not middle school girlfriends. O wait..
Wait your turn, yes.

Must play with whoever happens to be next to you in line? Nope.
Even if you resort to middle-school name calling, you don't make the rules.
Old 01-25-2024, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Wait your turn, yes.

Correct. You are under no obligation to break up your group just because the line falls that way as long as you wait your turn in line and play only one game to 11 if others are waiting. Correct etiquette is exactly what the OP did: allow someone further down the queue to jump in front of their foursome so they can stay together. The guy who was griping was clueless.
Old 01-25-2024, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
Correct. You are under no obligation to break up your group just because the line falls that way as long as you wait your turn in line and play only one game to 11 if others are waiting. Correct etiquette is exactly what the OP did: allow someone further down the queue to jump in front of their foursome so they can stay together. The guy who was griping was clueless.
If proper etiquette is playing one game to 11 and others are waiting wouldn't that mean the 4 players of that game should walk off and the whole court becomes available after each and every game ? If standard practice how often is this adhered to ? Are there published rules of etiquette posted on/near the courts ? Just curious I'm not a pickle-ball player.

Last edited by rustyp; 01-25-2024 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 02:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Wait your turn, yes.

Even if you resort to middle-school name calling, you don't make the rules.
NEVER said must.
And you don’t either.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 01-25-2024 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 03:13 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

61, U R all good.

Sorry you met one of the 1% boneheads in TV.
Old 01-25-2024, 03:20 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,641 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
61, U R all good.

Sorry you met one of the 1% boneheads in TV.
Thanks to everyone for replying - I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t in violation of some rule for which I was unaware - I love pickleball, and for the most part, the people I meet there are some of the nicest and kindest people here in The Villages. Retirement is the best!
Old 01-25-2024, 03:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
If proper etiquette is playing one game to 11 and others are waiting wouldn't that mean the 4 players of that game should walk off and the whole court becomes available after each and every game ? If standard practice how often is this adhered to ? Are there published rules of etiquette posted on/near the courts ? Just curious I'm not a pickle-ball player.
Depends on what rec center, some only two leave court while winners play 2 games in row before they get back in line. Some play rally score but most don’t.

Really proper etiquette is get back in line and play your turn. What happens some don’t want play with lower level players cause they think it will ruin their game. Which IMO not that good if the can’t deal with lower skilled player’s. And there are just snobs that want only play with their little group at open times. Which they have open play and group reserved times.
Old 01-25-2024, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,026 Times in 1,749 Posts

Or… a lesser player may not feel comfortable playing with much better players. Maybe that’s why they came with their group in the first place. If that guy was too belligerent, video him and report him. If he was just upset then turn your back and talk with your group.

Tags
play, group, pickleball, line, court

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.