accident at 4 way stop on Canal

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Gold member
Default accident at 4 way stop on Canal

went into Sumter for doc's appointment, (one o'clock) and saw emergency crews, fire truck etc., blocking the road at the 4 way stop by Sony's at Canal and Old Camp. It is such a dangerous intersection that I avoid it at all costs, and cross Canal where the cart path croses Canal, and detour up to Sweet Bay parking lot. Hope there were no serious injuries, but the equipment vehicals were still there when I left the doc's office several hours later.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Sage
Default accidents

I must say that as a visitor in TV, my husband and I observed many dangerous roundabouts and golf cart crossings. It seemed that the cars in the roundabouts were going so fast that it really didn't give you time to think. And, at one of the red lights, I think on Morse Blvd, it was a game of chicken while watching golf carts trying to cross the road. For an adult community, you think they would make things less dangerous. I think speed is a big factor with most people. I'm a little afraid to drive a golf cart for fear I may get hit. Something to think about.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I must say that as a visitor in TV, my husband and I observed many dangerous roundabouts and golf cart crossings. It seemed that the cars in the roundabouts were going so fast that it really didn't give you time to think. And, at one of the red lights, I think on Morse Blvd, it was a game of chicken while watching golf carts trying to cross the road. For an adult community, you think they would make things less dangerous. I think speed is a big factor with most people. I'm a little afraid to drive a golf cart for fear I may get hit. Something to think about.
So true.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Question re Accident at 4 Way Stop

Hate to hear of any incident that could have and should have been avoided.Hope no one was seriously hurt in todays accident. Not knowing all the danger spots can someone post areas that visitors need to be extra cautious at...We have an upcoming LSP in alittle over a week and with the need to venture out and see all we can, any advice on what routes to especially be cautious in or to totally avoid?
Thank You..
Old 12-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Gold member
Default Smart Car

My Wife has been saying-

I want a Smart for Two. To Heck with the Golf Cart- You can have the Cart I'll take the Smart. It has Heat AC and a BMW designed Race Car Safety Cage- And no this is for TV not out on the Interstates

Yes they Shed Plastic Body parts when hit as designed but the occupants are in the Cage safer than a Cart! And you can replace them yourself.

Something I have to think about!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
My Wife has been saying-

I want a Smart for Two. To Heck with the Golf Cart- You can have the Cart I'll take the Smart. It has Heat AC and a BMW designed Race Car Safety Cage- And no this is for TV not out on the Interstates

Yes they Shed Plastic Body parts when hit as designed but the occupants are in the Cage safer than a Cart! And you can replace them yourself.

Something I have to think about!
Can you take them on the golf courses?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet92 View Post
Hate to hear of any incident that could have and should have been avoided.Hope no one was seriously hurt in todays accident. Not knowing all the danger spots can someone post areas that visitors need to be extra cautious at...We have an upcoming LSP in alittle over a week and with the need to venture out and see all we can, any advice on what routes to especially be cautious in or to totally avoid?
Thank You..
Hi USNRet92,
Welcome! Have a wonderful time on your LSP. In my mind, there aren't so much dangerous intersections as there are dangerous drivers, and very busy intersections, especially this time of year.

If you are not familiar with roundabouts, here's a good brochure to read in advance: http://www.districtgov.org/PdfView/P...daboutBrochure. You might have to copy and paste this link into your browser.

Remember to treat the roundabouts like other intersections. For example:
  • The first exit is the same as making a right turn. Do it from the right lane.
  • The second exit goes straight through (i.e., takes you onto the same road from which you entered). Do it from either lane (being sure from the left lane that there is not a car beside you on your right.)
  • The third exit is the same as making a left turn. Do it from the left lane (being sure there in not a car beside you on your right.)
  • Always use your blinker to indicate when you plan to exit.
How do you make sure there is not a car in the right lane beside you when you are in the left lane? EASY. Do not drive side-by-side with another car within the roundabout/intersection. Always stagger.

The accident mentioned by Shrandell above was at an intersection feeding into/out of the LSL town square area. There is a four-way stop sign, so it should be safe. From the post, it sounds like perhaps the accident happened around lunch time when the area can get very crowded.

If you drive defensively and assume the other guy might not, you'll be fine.

Please let us know how you enjoyed your visit. And if you have any more questions, just ask.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Gold member
Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hanky View Post
Can you take them on the golf courses?
Thats the bad part but we don't as of yet play golf. Many get two carts she was thinking one cart for golf and the trails and a used Smart for Two convertible for the Villages or outer roads.

We are not going the Street Legal Cart direction- That is not worth it for us. Might as well register the Smart Car you goota pay insurance anyway.

I have a freind in Spanish springs that loves his Smart See Pic in front of our new home
Attachment 1277

Last edited by CarGuys; 01-02-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet92 View Post
Thank You..
Do you have a list like this where you live now? It is not as bad as some make it out to be. Come, enjoy and don't worry!
Old 12-05-2011, 10:42 PM

And I have seen Smart Cars park on the streets the way golf carts do....
they take up about the same amount of space it seems....just pull in
straight to the curbing and take up half of a space marked for a car.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gage405 View Post
And I have seen Smart Cars park on the streets the way golf carts do....
they take up about the same amount of space it seems....just pull in
straight to the curbing and take up half of a space marked for a car.
I saw a smart car parked like that the other day. It was next to a 4 seater golf cart. Guess which was the larger vehicle...........
Suzanne
Old 12-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Gold member
Default Guess

It was the four Seater.

Right now Smart has a Electric but the price to lease ( You can't buy! ) is terrible. Like $600 a month + or -

I would Love the Electric however the Gas works. Fun Car to drive unless you are on a hig speed road and the winds blow up. Under 65 handles well.

Village Parking is gettng worse. The Smart works well in Europe as they can be parked like the Carts or Harleys and make room for others.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
We are not going the Street Legal Cart direction- That is not worth it for us. Might as well register the Smart Car you goota pay insurance anyway.

I have a freind in Spanish springs that loves his Smart See Pic in front of our new home
Attachment 1277
How does the price of a Smart Car compare to the cost of a Street Legal Cart?
Old 12-06-2011, 12:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
How does the price of a Smart Car compare to the cost of a Street Legal Cart?
I just googled a two person Smart Car ...$15,000 to $18,000. Not a bad price, but a bit more than four person Street Legal Cart.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:38 AM
Veteran member

There is a smart car dealership near to where I live. There are many, many of them in my town.
I was driving on the M 1 (interstate) a while ago, going from London to York, I was passed by 2 smart cars thst were racing each other, I was doing 75, so goodness knows what they were doing!!
If you want a smaller car, Mercedes do a similar car to smart cars, but they look better

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.