Pig Sty

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
I really don't see that much garbage. Not enough to qualify for "pig sty" status by a long shot, anyway.

I do see the occasional bit of trash and think it comes from careless landscapers and contractors who are throwing their trash in the back of their pickup trucks and carts and as they're driving the trash sometimes flies out. I know I've seen this happen a number of times.
My neighborhood was strewn with garbage while the builders were here, especially those styrofoam containers from the "food trucks", but virtually no garbage once they moved out. Not the residents, but the workers in my opinion.

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can."----John Wesley
Old 07-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Veteran member

The only thing I see is cigarettes being thrown from golf carts, which is annoying enough. I smoke a occasional cigar in my cart but I have a metal tube to place the lit cigar into when I'm done. It puts the cigar out and I can light it latter.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

gracie you are right the posts do get a little off during the summer, maybe most can't be here year round and its just a venting day on the forum..
Old 07-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
gracie you are right the posts do get a little off during the summer, maybe most can't be here year round and its just a venting day on the forum..
i think there's a little too much: if i didn't see it/it didn't happen/it isn't there; if i didn't do it/it can't be done! this is not stepford! sheesh.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Buggy had a good idea in placing trash cans along the paths. It would be easy if you were driving a cart to just pull alongside and throw out your garbage. Even a water bottle or such if you were walking or biking! How to get that implemented though? Well thought, Buggy!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 07-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I have always thought just the opposite ... that The Villages is an incredibly clean place. When I'm in TV I drive around and marvel at the beauty and the cleanliness.

The only time I've noticed garbage is around the places that the Charter School kids frequent, and that's just because they're kids and they need a spanking. (The Belvedere Libary, the tunnel leading to Southern Trace Plaza, etc.) And that garbage seems to be quickly picked up. We go North for the summer, so perhaps I don't understand the problem. Perhaps it gets dirtier in the summer months?
No, Barefoot, the situation in the Summer is not that different from the Winter one here in the Villages. The Developer would not want an unclean Disneyland for Seniors. They seem to spend a lot of money and time on keeping the Villages quite clean with respect to trash.

I have been here now seven years and have rarely seen litter in the streets or on the gold cart paths. Once in a while, yes. But, very seldom.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts
Cool

Garbage attracts flies..See what happened in Bonifi ...Rest my case
Old 07-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodgirl View Post
Buggy had a good idea in placing trash cans along the paths. It would be easy if you were driving a cart to just pull alongside and throw out your garbage. Even a water bottle or such if you were walking or biking! How to get that implemented though? Well thought, Buggy!
If you give this "good idea" some thought..........Do you know how many miles of cart paths there are? How many trash cans would you need? What will keep the dog poop out of the cans? How much will it cost to empty the cans on a regular basis? Who pays for the upkeep and replacement of these cans?
Simple solution, keep your trash in your cart and put it in your trash can when you get home.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhredd1654 View Post
My neighborhood was strewn with garbage while the builders were here, especially those styrofoam containers from the "food trucks", but virtually no garbage once they moved out. Not the residents, but the workers in my opinion.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I remember our LSV from April of last year when we were here for a week. You could drive from one end of Buena Vista to the other and not see one piece of thrash. That was one of the things I mentioned when I got back to Baltimore, that I never saw any litter. I didn't drive a golf cart much because those loaners they give you at 14 mph would take forever to get anywhere.

The only places I see that need cleaning is on main roadways like CR466 and 466A at the intersections, thrash will accumulate at the corners. It's usually items like broken glass and stuff that a street sweeper could knock out quickly.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Gold member
Default Cigarette butts

I don't want to become a cranky summer time poster but the thing that burns my buns is the amount of cigarette butts discarded on the golf courses. How irresponsible these smokers are!!!!!!!!!
Skip 2
Old 07-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
If you give this "good idea" some thought..........Do you know how many miles of cart paths there are? How many trash cans would you need? What will keep the dog poop out of the cans? How much will it cost to empty the cans on a regular basis? Who pays for the upkeep and replacement of these cans?
Simple solution, keep your trash in your cart and put it in your trash can when you get home.
Well, Bogie, I do throw my trash away in a proper container, but apparently this post is about those who do not. I don't live there yet, but when I do, certainly I will continue to take care of my own trash in a proper manner. There are 90 miles of cart paths. If there were a can every 3 miles, that would be approximately 30 cans. Every 5 miles, 18 cans. I don't know what the cost might be, which is precisely why I ASKED about what it would take to implement something like that. Let's please not turn this into yet another dog poop thread! It's regarding trash on the ground! I think it would be most helpful to have extra cans where people could indeed deposit their garbage instead of casting it out somewhere for someone else to take care of.
It is a viable suggestion made by a forum member and one I agree could be within the realm of possibility. You absolutely are entitled to think otherwise, and I respect that!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 07-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodgirl View Post
Well, Bogie, I do throw my trash away in a proper container, but apparently this post is about those who do not. I don't live there yet, but when I do, certainly I will continue to take care of my own trash in a proper manner. There are 90 miles of cart paths. If there were a can every 3 miles, that would be approximately 30 cans. Every 5 miles, 18 cans. I don't know what the cost might be, which is precisely why I ASKED about what it would take to implement something like that. Let's please not turn this into yet another dog poop thread! It's regarding trash on the ground! I think it would be most helpful to have extra cans where people could indeed deposit their garbage instead of casting it out somewhere for someone else to take care of.
It is a viable suggestion made by a forum member and one I agree could be within the realm of possibility. You absolutely are entitled to think otherwise, and I respect that!
We do not need trash cans on the cart paths. If you lived here you could see the natural beauty of the cart paths. The addition of trash cans would do nothing but detract from this beauty. Bad idea.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Boogie Shooter: You are spot on. and if I may beside what you have stated the wind/storms visiting us would hit these trash cans and drive the debris all over The Villages. Trash cans also draw critters that crawl and fly. and finally I wager you will have many amatuer basketball players that will make a throw miss and leave the debris where it lie next to the trash can.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

IMO this whole thing is a non-issue. With the exception of cig butts, I've rarely seen any litter anywhere in TV, including the cart paths. I'm not saying that littering never happens, but compared to the size and population of TV, it's really minuscule. Trash cans on the cart paths would be an eyesore and a waste of money. No one I know rides around with a bunch of trash in their carts looking for a place to deposit it. The primary deposits in cans on the paths would be dog poop. Then there would be flies and stench...and the inevitable complaining about that. And anyone who is willing to throw trash onto the cart paths are going to do so whether there are trash cans every few miles or not.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.