Pig Sty

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Sage

I do understand that smoking takes seven years off your life. But keep in mind, it's not the seven years between 35 and 42. Nor even the seven years between 70 and 77. No it's the seven years between 86 and 93, those golden years in a nursing home with Altzheimer's.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 07-30-2012, 12:07 AM
Sage

bump
Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It must be the heat or you have the wrong place.

I will read back on your old posts and see what else you have had to say.

I read your old posts and you are a very nice and reasonable person so I will look carefully to see if there is any trash. I certainly haven't seen anything to merit the term "pig sty" or even anything but PRISTINE in the four years that I have lived here but a time or two I have seen an occasionaly can or other little thing and sometimes I stop my cart to get it if I won't cause an accident. The cigarette butts are thrown and Posh is right.

The Forum for the last few days has had a lot of negative posts. Do you think we miss the snowbirds? It still isn't as hot as it is in other parts of the country. Maybe we all need a nap?
Just wondered,why would you read back "old posts"and see what else you had to say. I read your post and you are nice and reasonable..Did you really go there to see if any trash?? I do not think its a negative post. Just someone who had something to say.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:20 AM

If you walk or bike around it becomes more apparent.

I rode from Belvedere to Sunrise Park along 466 and our crown Jewel- Palmer golf course.

In 5 miles I Saw a busted beer bottle ; beer can; styrofoam coffee cup with lid; red plastic lid cover (sturdy meant for multiple use); a disgarded butane lighter.

Really? you couldn't possibly wait to disgard these precious cargo items until you saw a garbage can?

That's right someone will cover for me!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser1 View Post

I rode from Belvedere to Sunrise Park along 466 and our crown Jewel- Palmer golf course.

In 5 miles I Saw a busted beer bottle ; beer can; styrofoam coffee cup with lid; red plastic lid cover (sturdy meant for multiple use); a disgarded butane lighter.

Really? you couldn't possibly wait to disgard these precious cargo items until you saw a garbage can?

Yes, you saw 5 items of junk tossed out in about 5 miles. While it would be nice not to have any at all, just think if you had been bike riding in East Orange, Queens, Brooklyn, or Detroit and how much trash would have been strewn on the streets in a 5 mile stretch of roadways.

The Villages is not perfect but sure a lot better than most cities of 85,000.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
I've seen the garbage, the paper cups the empty beer cans, bottles, cigarette butts and loose papers lying on, near or about the cart paths but, did not see the pigs that want to live in that environment. Perhaps they are the two legged kind. I would hate to think that we active seniors who live in the Villages would want to belong or live in such a place. We have paid a small fortune for our lifestyle, so lets not ruin it.

PICK UP YOUR GARBAGE AND DON'T THROW IT FROM YOUR CAR/CART. LET"S WORK TOGETHER PEOPLE. WE LIVE HERE!!!!!

The entire place, which is guite humongous, looked exceptionally clean and litter free to us when we visited.........we were there long enough to see it all.......we were impressed with the neatness and orderliness.
However, today is another day...........so obviously we did not see what you observed.

Why don't you begin a campaign such as Vermont has every May to "clean up" problem areas........this is done up here around May 1st.
Along river banks, lakes, etc. and on sides of the road or on slopes......

You can also call it "GREEN UP DAY" after you initiate this project and direct everyone to the litter.

We also saw TV "workers" picking up litter and so forth. Maybe the wind just blew it from elsewhere????
Old 07-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Platinum member

There is very little trash around. Just think if each one of us would stop and pickup one piece each day, there would not be an issue.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Yes, you saw 5 items of junk tossed out in about 5 miles. While it would be nice not to have any at all, just think if you had been bike riding in East Orange, Queens, Brooklyn, or Detroit and how much trash would have been strewn on the streets in a 5 mile stretch of roadways.

The Villages is not perfect but sure a lot better than most cities of 85,000.
Yes I agree the Villages is a lot better than most cities of 85,000.

We're better than that! This community is comprised of the best and brightest of all the fruited plains!

I was merely pointing out that in our own way we can make a difference.

How little effort it would take to keep our area pristine. Why settle for 2nd best?

Old 07-30-2012, 11:34 AM

I may have been a little hard in my previous post but I do get bags filled from my walks but most of it comes from traffic along the main drags including
466a (where the worst is) but Buena Vista, Morse and Odell do have many pieces that are definitely coming from golf carts. Cough drop, chewing gum, little bite size hard candy wrappers,plastic water bottles and the little plastic tops to cigarillos for example. The strangest "thing" I see 3 or 4 of a week is tooth floss picks! I just don't know who would use these and then toss along the curb?? There is practically no trash on neighborhood streets but if you do walk along the main drags with golf cart lanes it would help to at least pick up one piece as you go by. As has been said overall TV's is quite clean for the size and would be super if we could just get all the contractors to stop putting loose stuff (including trimmings) in their trailers or pickups without covering tightly!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser1 View Post

Brusier 1: According to some posters what you are seeing all must be a mirage. The fact is as the population increases so does the discarded items along the pathways, etc. It only makes sense. As an observation and not a critique, we have a few well meaning self appointed guardians sworn to protect TV image., a protection IMHO that is unnecessary but then I opine and would let others decide.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHMAN View Post
I may have been a little hard in my previous post but I do get bags filled from my walks but most of it comes from traffic along the main drags including
466a (where the worst is) but Buena Vista, Morse and Odell do have many pieces that are definitely coming from golf carts. Cough drop, chewing gum, little bite size hard candy wrappers,plastic water bottles and the little plastic tops to cigarillos for example. The strangest "thing" I see 3 or 4 of a week is tooth floss picks! I just don't know who would use these and then toss along the curb?? There is practically no trash on neighborhood streets but if you do walk along the main drags with golf cart lanes it would help to at least pick up one piece as you go by. As has been said overall TV's is quite clean for the size and would be super if we could just get all the contractors to stop putting loose stuff (including trimmings) in their trailers or pickups without covering tightly!
hhman - and why do you believe that the items you cited come from golf carts? main drags are used by all vehicles AND used by other folks who are NOT owners/renters within the villages; and most of that stuff will always be blown to curbing. i bet some trash can even jump curbs and be blown toward cart paths.

anyone inferring that the litter they see on our roadways is from villagers is way off base!

and hhman - i might bend over to pick up my share of papers/bottles - but NO way am i going to pick up floss picks! they're all yours!

Old 07-30-2012, 01:15 PM

Come on! You must be kidding if you believe stuff doesn't blow out of golf carts. I pick up many golf related items and I know they don't come from contractors. Anyway, the point is we all should try and keep The Villages the cleanest hometown also.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.