Bring sewing machine to TV?

Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Default Bring sewing machine to TV?

We are in the process of deciding what to take (or not) when we move to TV in a couple of months. I don't do a lot of sewing. However, I use my sewing machine (an old Singer) for occasional mending.

I would like to not bring the sewing machine with us, especially since it's heavy. Does the Sewing Club have loaner sewing machines? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Gail
Old 06-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

I would bet that you could find one in the "classified section" or even at a garage or estate sale when you get there! If you don't use it often, sell it and buy a used one in TV!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 06-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to Tickled_pink

I was faced with the same decision. I decided to leave mine behind. The local cleaners here do mending.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I would like first to say I am not a sewer, by anyone's standards but I can insert large rectangles in a sewing machine together with lining material with fabric from Fabric.com and produce adequate drapes.

So much cheaper than paying someone else to do it better.

Penney's is beginning to not sell as many drapes as they once did. I still like drapes.

I brought my sewing machine. Made drapes for three rooms including hall bath shower drapes.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

I brought my old heavy one because they don't make ones that sturdy anymore. I found a great guy who cleans and oils machines in his garage, and it works like a dream. I am making valances and like to have it for mending, and so on. I am glad I brought it! It doesn't take up much room.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

bring it if you don't you will rethink it over and over
Old 06-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Platinum member

I would bring it. Definitely. As soon as you don't have a machine, you will want to make a valance or curtain for bathroom window.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodgirl View Post
I would bet that you could find one in the "classified section" or even at a garage or estate sale when you get there! If you don't use it often, sell it and buy a used one in TV!
So, as I quote my former post, it becomes painfully apparent who among us has absolutely no talent for sewing whatsoever. Sigh... I guess the correct answer would have been to bring it!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 06-11-2012, 06:14 PM

Sjyc6: If the person who you use to clean and oil your machine is local, please give us their name/number. Always good info to have on file for future needs.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandG View Post
We are in the process of deciding what to take (or not) when we move to TV in a couple of months. I don't do a lot of sewing. However, I use my sewing machine (an old Singer) for occasional mending.

I would like to not bring the sewing machine with us, especially since it's heavy. Does the Sewing Club have loaner sewing machines? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Gail
I know the rule is if you haven't used it in a year, sell it. I would say if you haven't used it in the last 2-3 years, leave it! DW (darlin' wife) has one in a closet that hasn't been used in 20 years. . . yes, we are leaving it here, and it is a portable!
Old 06-11-2012, 06:28 PM

Gail,
As long as your machine is a portable and can be stashed in a closet I say bring it. I have a small Singer from the 40's that my mother bought second hand for me when I was first married. I've made every thing imaginable on it! Anyway, I hadn't sewn for years but just this past winter I have used it a half dozen times. Decided to make my granddaughter one of those hanging tent playhouses, for one, and was glad to still have my machine! Just my thoughts. Good luck with the sorting!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default 2 ideas

My thoughts may not count as I don't live there yet.

I would think that it would depend on the person. Perhaps you would get down there and find like minded people who have many great projects and ideas that might peak you interest and then you would want it. Also I am sure you will be pursuing things that you just never had the time for in the past which might be makinge a quilt etc.

On the other hand you might find it freeing to not have to store it and might find that other things take up your time and interests say scrap booking etc. or Pickle ball and would welcome the chance to not have it in your closets.

Such an individual response.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:50 AM
Sage

I sold mine before we moved. After I was here a while I bought another one. I was paying too much money to have clothes altered and it just didn't make sense. I bought a new portable on amazon for $65 and can store it away in the closet when not in use. I am however a person that usually needs alterations on clothes I buy especially the arm holes on blouses. So far the machine has more than paid for itself.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:05 AM
Smile

I have a portable and brought down with us. I have used it to make curtains, pillows, mending if necessary. Glad I did bring it along.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post
Sjyc6: If the person who you use to clean and oil your machine is local, please give us their name/number. Always good info to have on file for future needs.
Sorry, I didn't get back here sooner!
The repairman I used does, indeed, live in The Villages. He lives in Spanish Springs and does work in his garage, and he is clean, prompt, and very thorough. He is also reasonable. His name is Al's Sewing Machine repair. 352-751-0369. He had worked many years in Sewing machine repair and does wonderful work. He did a few extras I didn't even request and didn't charge additional. I highly recommend him.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.