Getting New Refrig

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2016, 05:30 AM
Sage
Default Getting New Refrig

After living with our worthless 2 door builder's line Whirlpool for almost 5 years, the Admiral has ordered me to get a French door refrig.

Looks like the real choices are LG, Samsung & GE

looking for opinions
Old 07-20-2016, 05:56 AM

I have had LG, really liked it, french door, bottom freezer. We are back to Whirlpool because it came with our new house, don't like it all, problems from day 1. I would buy the LG again once I can replace this Whirlpool.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
After living with our worthless 2 door builder's line Whirlpool for almost 5 years, the Admiral has ordered me to get a French door refrig.

looking for opinions
I can help you on this. After extensive search really extensive, we settled on a Samsung 28.5 Stainless Steel it has 4 doors. The cost @Lowe's $1,898 on sale. The main reason we chose this model over one other Samsung is the middle drawer is part of the refrigerator so the need to open both doors to get at the middle drawer inside is eliminated.

As for the the other manufacturers..Samsung came out far ahead plus it gets high marks for being quiet.

Their is a charge for hauling the old one away..but you can always donate it.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:46 AM
Platinum member
Default Careful with ge

Quote:

looking for opinions
Aren't GE and Whirlpool the same now?
Old 07-20-2016, 09:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,479 Times in 549 Posts

We have a Samsung French door, white. Got about a year ago. Love French doors, only drawback is ice maker is a tiny bit noisy, doesn't seem to make ice very quickly.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We had an LG French Door in Michigan. New in 2007; icemaker/water dispenser in door. It was the worst refrigerator we ever had. It broke constantly. I would not buy another LG fridge.

We now have a Whirlpool Gold French Door refrigerator. While it had warranty work done twice when new, knock on wood it hasn't subsequently given us a problem in 5 years. I SAID "KNOCK ON WOOD! IN CASE YOU'RE LISTENING," over there in the kitchen...

You do have to carefully close the freezer door, pushing on the middle of the handle as opposed to either side, or it might not close tightly, allowing frost to build up inside. But I've got the DH trained, now.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:39 AM
Veteran member

We have a Samsung. Love it except, the ice-maker IS noisy (and it does seem to make ice slowly) and if you have any trouble with it, as we did with a fan that quit working, it is difficult to find an appliance repair person that'll work on it. At least that was our experience. If we were to purchase another we'd most likely purchase an LG.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I must admit that during the last 20 plus years of flipping houses I have an Appliance Fetish. When the sales staff at Sears greets you by first name I think that's an indication. The house we just bought in TV has high end LG appliances in the kitchen complete with a Double Oven and a beautiful French Door Bottom Freezer Fridge.
As nice as they are I would not put any serious money into repairing any of them as they are not highly rated model's on Consumer Reports. I NEVER had a service call on any appliance until we were leaving our last home. One week to go and the goobersmoocher on the washer needed replacement. Oh well thats life. SOOOO if our appliances are listening, if you screw up you'll be replaced before the sun goes down by a highly rated Sears product.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:19 AM
Sage

We had a sub-zero in NJ-will not fit in our current kitchen, the only real advantage to a sub-zero are the designer inserts to match cabinetry, Wolf is totally useless for two people-also, their range won't fit in our current kitchen, we had a Garland in NJ
Old 07-20-2016, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Refrigerator

Quote:
We had a sub-zero in NJ-will not fit in our current kitchen, the only real advantage to a sub-zero are the designer inserts to match cabinetry, Wolf is totally useless for two people-also, their range won't fit in our current kitchen, we had a Garland in NJ
I had a sub-zero in NJ and wanted one when we replaced our refrigerator here. Unfortunately, it would not fit. Bought an Electrolux ICON and I am very happy. It is counter depth, French doors, bottom freezer and plain on the front. I don't like water and ice on the door. It is nice and sleek, fast ice and very quiet. They are around 3300.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
I can help you on this. After extensive search really extensive, we settled on a Samsung 28.5 Stainless Steel it has 4 doors. The cost @Lowe's $1,898 on sale. The main reason we chose this model over one other Samsung is the middle drawer is part of the refrigerator so the need to open both doors to get at the middle drawer inside is eliminated.

As for the the other manufacturers..Samsung came out far ahead plus it gets high marks for being quiet.

Their is a charge for hauling the old one away..but you can always donate it.
Agree. We have the same fridge and love it. We did buy it from Lowes and also bought the extended 5 year warranty.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,464 Posts

Only thing I got to say is you better measure the hole that the the old refrigerator was in and make sure the new one will fit. that right ther can turn into a nightmare real quick!
Old 07-22-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:

looking for opinions
We have a Samsung black stainless steel with the refrigerated door in the middle and love it. This is the second one we have had. Left the first one with the home we sold. Both of them, along with the dishwasher, stove and microwave were bought at Lowe's during a sale. If you are a veteran, you get an extra 10% off on that price.
Closed Thread

Tags
door, refrig, french, real, choices

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.