Pink Ribbon in today's Daily Sun

Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida View Post
Thank you, Schaumburger! I'll keep the new avatar for the month of October, which is Breast Cancer Awareness month. It's for all of us who have been paid a visit by this nasty cancer. I DO believe that research is helping to find new treatments and, hopefully, one of these days a cure. Had my cancer happened 25-30 years ago I might not be here today. Girls, get your mammograms every year, keep your immune system healthy, and support fund raising efforts as much as you can. Guys, we value your support but don't forget that this cancer happens to men, too. Be aware of any changes and get yourself to the doctor ASAP. Hubby dealt last year with prostate cancer and it seems to be epidemic, also. How about some real recognition of THIS cancer that seems to be affecting so many men. Maybe I will change my avatar to a blue ribbon for the month of December!
I am a 3 year survivor and counting the days to year 5 so I can get off this awful medication that is causing me so much joint pain. However, pain is definitely better then dead!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Veteran member

Congratulations on your 3 years as a survivor. When you talk about medication are you referring to Tamoxifen? I took it for 5 years and really didn't have any side effects from it, maybe just some thinning hair. I am sorry that you are experiencing problems with your joints, but you are right, it beats the alternative. I was actually scared to STOP taking the drug for fear my cancer would start growing somewhere else in my body. From what I understand, taking Tamoxifen any longer than 5 years has not proved to give us any additional years of survival. I wish you well and I hope you have many more years cancer-free.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.