Places you recommend visitors see?

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Places you recommend visitors see?

Besides the obvious (the Squares, Katie Belle's), what are some of the things you tell visitors and newbies are must sees?

My list is:

1. Mulberry Grove Rec Center to pet the rooster (be sure and tell the attendant to turn it on).

2. Lake Miona Rec Center to check out the bathroom sinks.

3. Bacall Rec Center to have your pic taken with Bogie.

4. Colony Rec Center just to see America's version of an English country cottage (a true love/hate thing).

If they are friends, I also take them on what I call the Savannah Trail between 466 and the Polo Fields and around the Historic Side, mainly to show them the boy fishing statute off the dock and the waterfalls at the Paradise (?) Pond. Of course, there's always the thrill (?) of going to Wally World on 441 via golf cart.

You?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Gold member

Much depends on how much time they will be here.

Off the reservation I reccomend:

1. Mt Dora

2. Drive out to Harbor Hills Country Club and see the view of Lake Griffin off the balcony it is fantastic. If you are there around lunch time the Grille downstairs is very good.

In The Villages that you didn't mention

3. The Villages Country Clubs are a must to take guests to just to see.

4. A Neighborhood Rec Center.

5. Start off with a Trolley Ride.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Veteran member

Ride across the golf cart bridge over 441 (the only golf cart bridge in the US!); walk along the entire boardwalk at Lake Sumter (behind Waterfront Inn and all the way to the Lighthouse Restaurant); visit the Orange Blossom and Hacienda Hills CC pools with their extra special resort-like ambience (tiki bars at both; and the waterfall at Orange Blossom); live music at the Oasis poolside cafe/bar at Lopez on Friday afternoons; watch sundown and/or sunset from a golf cart at the little parking area just past the bridge over Lake Sumter, going south on Morse Blvd; visit any of the many karaoke sessions at the restaurants and bars in TV; concerts at the Church on the Square; golf cart rides. So many things are special here, and I am sure others will think of many more.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

" Colony Rec Center just to see America's version of an English country cottage (a true love/hate thing)."

You are so right. It is a place to see, and although I was overwhelmed at first, I have grown to like it.

AND. If the developer got into financial difficulty, he would just have to sell all of those things at Colony Cottage on ebay and keep himself and us afloat for YEARS!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default I'm giving this one a big bump

I like this post so I am giving this one a bump to see where else you like to go. It's a good one Red Witch.

SSmith
Old 02-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Looks like most of TV has already been identified. Off the reservation, Mt Dora, Butterfly Museum in Gainesville, Cedar Key, Homosassa State Park, Orange picking at several places around, and of course there is always the Disney World and other venues in Orlando.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Veteran member
Wink

Colony Rec center looks like Alice In Wonderland on steroids! You're right Dee - love it or hate it.

Becky
Old 02-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Sage

Within The Villages, any suggestions on how to entertain a 30 year old guest arriving Saturday? Obviously a golf cart tour of the Town Squares and a walk on the Lake Sumter boardwalk is a good way to start .... wearing down-filled parkas

I'm particularly interested in country clubs or restaurants offering evening "live" entertainment this weekend, on Saturday or Sunday. Unfortunately, Katie Belles is already booked for Valentines Day.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Besides the obvious (the Squares, Katie Belle's), what are some of the things you tell visitors and newbies are must sees?

My list is:

1. Mulberry Grove Rec Center to pet the rooster (be sure and tell the attendant to turn it on).

2. Lake Miona Rec Center to check out the bathroom sinks.

3. Bacall Rec Center to have your pic taken with Bogie.

4. Colony Rec Center just to see America's version of an English country cottage (a true love/hate thing).

If they are friends, I also take them on what I call the Savannah Trail between 466 and the Polo Fields and around the Historic Side, mainly to show them the boy fishing statute off the dock and the waterfalls at the Paradise (?) Pond. Of course, there's always the thrill (?) of going to Wally World on 441 via golf cart.

You?
Havana Country Club is quite Stunning! Be sure to visit the restrooms and the mosaic sinks!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Default Thanks

Having a brother down to visit and sure appreciate your comments. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeda View Post
Ride across the golf cart bridge over 441 (the only golf cart bridge in the US!); walk along the entire boardwalk at Lake Sumter (behind Waterfront Inn and all the way to the Lighthouse Restaurant); visit the Orange Blossom and Hacienda Hills CC pools with their extra special resort-like ambience (tiki bars at both; and the waterfall at Orange Blossom); live music at the Oasis poolside cafe/bar at Lopez on Friday afternoons; watch sundown and/or sunset from a golf cart at the little parking area just past the bridge over Lake Sumter, going south on Morse Blvd; visit any of the many karaoke sessions at the restaurants and bars in TV; concerts at the Church on the Square; golf cart rides. So many things are special here, and I am sure others will think of many more.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Default Great Rate - Waterfront Inn

Just received a great rate, at the Waterfront Inn. The price was $69.00 per night. I will be in TV, next month for my first visit to TV and stay three nights to look at new and used homes. Can't Wait!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Guy View Post
Much depends on how much time they will be here.

Off the reservation I reccomend:

1. Mt Dora

2. Drive out to Harbor Hills Country Club and see the view of Lake Griffin off the balcony it is fantastic. If you are there around lunch time the Grille downstairs is very good.

In The Villages that you didn't mention

3. The Villages Country Clubs are a must to take guests to just to see.

4. A Neighborhood Rec Center.

5. Start off with a Trolley Ride.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:44 AM

Thank you for all the useful information here.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:01 AM

Don't forget to take your guests to see Sea Breeze Rec Center. It's my new fav...bumping Colony to #2.

Take them "behind" Colony and down the golf cart path back there to show them the vast amount of construction going on to build Brownwood!

One of my favorite spots is what my granddaughter calls the "spooky picnic area". After crossing the Sumter bridge (going toward 466), go through the tunnel and the area between tunnels, with all the huge Live Oaks w/Spanish moss, is kind of a magical place to me for a picnic or just a few minutes sitting on the bench. Sometimes the cows are hanging around that area and I've occasionally seen a gator in that little pond.

One poster has a 30 YO coming in today and wanted to know how to entertain them...my suggestion, is just let TV do it for you! LOL! One of our daughters is a hyper 25 YO city girl (Chicago) and she was just here for 10 days. I was concerned she'd be bored silly. She LOVED it! We took the golf cart whenever we went anywhere, went out to eat, took her to the Moore/Shaw show at Katie Belle's on Monday evening, spent a LOT of time at the pool tanning, took her to some of the exercise classes I attend, went to the squares most nights. She had a blast just doing the stuff most of us take for granted after living here a while.

Best decision of our lives was when we bought our home here in TV!!!
Old 11-13-2010, 09:34 AM

If you like outdoor activities how about the Devil's Millhopper in Gainseville and they have a beautiful Botanical Gardens there (in Gainseville) too, but the name escapes me right now and we always enjoy the Butterfly Museum there.

For a day trip we enjoy Tarpon Springs but, don't eat before you go! We had a picnic along the way on our first visit, didn't know it was a greek community, once we got there the food was amazing and we were full. We're going hungry the next time!

Cedar Key is nice too but a bit of a drive from TV.

Silver Springs glass bottom boats are fun.

And what about walking through Markets of Marion just up the road from TV?

We never really hit the 'touristy' things, we enjoy the backroads and side trips. I enjoy the backroad photo opportunities
Old 11-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Bosoxfan

We had my sister & her husband here last week and they loved it!! In the mornings my brother in-law would take our golf cart & go exploring.He was like a kid in a candy store!!It wasn't pool weather so we found things to do off campus during the day.We really enjoyed a trip over to The Kennedy Space Center.It wasthe second time there for my wife & I & we still haven't seen everything.The following day we went on an air boat trip in Homasassa.We had alot of fun!! We did alot of what was mentioned above ..giving the tour of rec centers,restaurants,country clubs & of course dancing at the squares at night!! This place is a dream & I'm glad we're in it!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.