Plastic owl mounting

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2021, 07:30 AM

My mother attached a slinky on the post of her bird feeders, no more squirrel problems!! Bought it on Amazon
Old 01-15-2021, 07:55 AM

We had the same problem with squirrels- owl doesn’t work, but ultrasonic pest deterrents did work! I know some don’t believe in them, but they are solar & detect motion - had them for over a year & no squirrels on screen anymore!
Old 01-15-2021, 07:57 AM
Gold member

If you have the receipt return it!

Try getting some realistic rubber snakes and put them up there! If they don’t scare the squirrels they will at least scare your neighbors!
Old 01-15-2021, 08:27 AM

During squirrel season and since you cannot shoot them in the villages. Trap them, kill them and they are quite tasty barbecued in the crock pot or fried up.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:31 AM

I have had to put TWO plastic owls on my birdcage to keep the big water birds off. I put them in the corners with a medium sized L-bracket. Drilled two holes in the bottom of the owl (can put a bolt on one by reaching through the hole) and 2 holes on the vertical piece of the bird cage frame. Works great!
Recommend the owls with moving head $18 on Amazon.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:37 AM
Veteran member
Default Harry Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
yeah, but from WHO???
Check with Harry Potter.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:52 AM
Default Squirrel away

It is easier to shake, Squirrel Away, on the ground twice a year. Found it at Ace. Also use Snake Away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailohio View Post
The Wife and I have had squirrels climbing all over our bird cage and even chewing holes in it. I bought a plastic owl from Home Depot. It has a round hole with plug on the bottom to put sand inside to keep it in place. However, I hope to be able to mount it on top of my bird cage frame for maximum effect. Has anyone done this successfully before and would you share your methods with me.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:34 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Squirrels are too smart to be fooled with a plastic owl. They seem to be smarter than some people. Make a jalapeno spray with boiling water and soak a cut up jalapeno in it. Strain it and spray it on your screen. It also makes a good plant spray that keeps chewy bugs away.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merled View Post
During squirrel season and since you cannot shoot them in the villages. Trap them, kill them and they are quite tasty barbecued in the crock pot or fried up.
Meat is kind of tough, used to have them via road kill before moving here.

Do you have recipe for a good squirrel marinade?
Old 01-15-2021, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
The Wife and I have had squirrels climbing all over our bird cage and even chewing holes in it. I bought a plastic owl from Home Depot. It has a round hole with plug on the bottom to put sand inside to keep it in place. However, I hope to be able to mount it on top of my bird cage frame for maximum effect. Has anyone done this successfully before and would you share your methods with me.

No shortage of amusing suggestions. As to using sand, I doubt it will stay up in a storm.
In any case you need to keep moving where the owl is to have it be effective.

Some have said shoot them. This is not farm country and it is illegal.
Some have said have a hart traps and move them. I think that too is illegal.
While it is illegal to do so, if you trap one drown it. A squirrel in a have a hart trap?
They are far bigger when you try to open the door to let one go then they look in a tree.
It is a huge RAT with a furry tail.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:24 AM

I screwed a 1/2" piece of PVC to one of the uprights using sheet metal screw; the hawk/owl slides over this and moves in the wind a little. It was effective for about a month and then the tree rats were back climbing on the screen.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:26 AM
Veteran member
Smile food in lanai

Quote:
No food in bird cage at all. Maybe rats. I don’t really know. But squirrels are all over the place. If I could trap the squirrels I could drop them off at your place and you’d have more to feed. 🙄
I agree, I had bird food in the lanai. I had it double wrapped in heavy plastic, in a locked heavy plastic container and the squirrels were STILL all over my screens trying to get into it. I had to take the container into the garage. I still keep it wrapped up that way tho, just to make sure nothing could get into it.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,078 Times in 2,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I've had squirrel problems. Good luck with the owl!
I bought a hav-a-hart (have a heart) trap from Home Depot and when I catch one, I haul 'em out to the forest preserve and release him there. I've caught a dozen or more, palm rats too.
Since my back yard is one of the forest preserves, I do not appreciate pests being relocated there. However, I am sure our resident family of bobcats wouldn’t complain.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:58 PM
Default Squirrels and owls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I've had squirrel problems. Good luck with the owl!
I bought a hav-a-hart (have a heart) trap from Home Depot and when I catch one, I haul 'em out to the forest preserve and release him there. I've caught a dozen or more, palm rats too.
I agree 100%. First, no squirrel has EVER eaten into my cage, but I mounted TWO owls and it did not keep them away. I had them up for over 10 years and the only way I ever get rid of squirrels was the Hav-a-Hart trap and relocation (30+ in one year). If something is eating through your cage, you can be pretty sure it is rats. I have TEN "rat hotels" around my cage, refill them with poison every three months, and rarely do I find no bait has been eaten. But NOTHING has eaten through my cage in years and I've never even seen a rat, so they're eating the the poison and dying. (You can get all you need from domyownpestcontrol.com at a reasonable price.)
Old 01-15-2021, 01:15 PM

Maybe you can buy a motion activated owl..hmm research it.
Closed Thread

Tags
plastic, bird, owl, cage, effect

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.