Please be careful about what you post here

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Founder
Default Please be careful about what you post here

My friend and colleague, Tony, has been the "copyright infringement" cop on this forum since it started. Whenever anybody posts the text of copyrighted material, Tony is there to remove it, fearing that we could end up in a legal battle with the original writer.

Even I have wondered why he has been so vociferous about this issue. He and I have had several discussions about it during which I have insisted that he's chasing ghosts. His feet have always been firmly planted in concrete on this issue.

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! Turns out that we have learned that several large national newspaper companies have directed their attention to forums like ours. They have people full time looking at the TOTVs of the world and if they find any of their material copied, they lower the boom. "Boom?' What kind of "boom" am I talking about? A lawsuit, demanding $150,000 damages for theft of copyrighted material. NO SECOND CHANCE. And, they have collected in several cases.

It's easy for them to find too. Since you might say, "this was printed in the Ball Street Journal" all they have to do is enter their name in "Google News Search," and voila, their is your post with their material. I was going to post the text of a news story about it, but had second thoughts.

You can rest assured that since this will become a source of revenue for them, more and more of these companies will join in this pursuit. So, you can expect that Tony will be putting in even more hours, patrolling for the posting of copyrighted material being posted on Talk of The Villages.

So, for the second time in our 43 year friendship, it turns out that Tony is right.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default But it is alright to post links?

Tony isn't either your fiend. I can tell he is your friend.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Platinum member

Sounds like our marriage. In 30 years I think I may have been right twice too.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 11-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Sage

Actually, it's a new low. I won't copy the story, but I assume I can link to one about this new practice.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...g-for-dollars/

If Tony needs to remove the link, then people can type in ''Can newspapers sue web sites for posting their material" in their search feature and get MANY related stories.

Last edited by pooh; 11-15-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Sage
Default Links?

Are links ok?

I am sure our trusty administrators are up on this, but IM[uneducated]O, it seems that links are ok.

I did find this interesting:

http://www.templetons.com/brad/linkright.html
Old 11-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Sage

The guy who started that company noted in Pooh's link.............what a bottom feeder!

Bill
Old 11-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Founder

Unless Tony the copyright police chief knows different, I think its okay to post links.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
The guy who started that company noted in Pooh's link.............what a bottom feeder!

Bill
He truly is, isn't he!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
He truly is, isn't he!

"What goes around, comes around." At some point in time, his venture will probably bite him............

Bill
Old 11-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Default Wow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
He truly is, isn't he!
Major scum sucker!!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post

So, you can expect that Tony will be putting in even more hours, patrolling for the posting of copyrighted material being posted on Talk of The Villages.
Tony is our ever-vigilant protector and we appreciate his efforts.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Administrator

I agree with Jan. I think links would be O.K. That is like you telling your friend to go buy a certain book or magazine. The original author would get the benefit of your recommendation. By posting a link, you are sending others to a website that would then benefit the original author.

I have noticed, though, that some posters in good faith judiciously use material from other sites, then adding a link. There has been such a thing as fair use. At the Library of Congress you can read the explanation of Fair Use.

I am as puzzled as anybody on this, but I ask you please to use your own words. Original material is much more desirable than material lifted from somebody else. We want to know what you think, not what somebody else thinks.

If you have a question about lifting material and linking, don't do it.

Your own wealth and assets are at risk, also. You could very well go down with us. These bottom feeders are looking for deep pockets, or a little from a lot of pockets.

Maybe those more skilled in the law could offer some thoughts here. We, of course, will seek our own legal counsel on this, but if anybody here is up on copyright, let us all know.

By the way, government web site are fair game. You can quote from them without worry. For example, I could copy verbatim the Library of Congress material on Fair Use and would face no problem other than putting you to sleep.

Please help us in this. If you see what you think is copyrighted material, let us know. What is copyrighted? Everything that is written is copyrighted. That's we we should all say it in our own words.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.