Please be careful out there....

Closed Thread
Old 02-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Sage
Default Please be careful out there....

Mike and I just returned from the Caroline Postal Station and just before we arrived, two golf carts were involved in an accident. It seems a cart leaving the postal station hit a cart on Stillwater and the cart on Stillwater was tipped onto its side. Two men were in the cart and help by local villagers was immediate. Fortunately for the cart occupants, a visitor was on scene...this visitor was a former EMT and she was able to provide care to one of the men who had difficulty leaving the cart because of the position he was in. Villagers stepped up to help direct traffic, talk with the two men involved, stay with the driver of the other cart until help arrived...and did help arrive! Three sheriffs cars, a fire engine, and one ambulance. When we left, both men were up and on their feet. Visitor EMT felt one passenger would need some stitches for a cut on his wrist...she had it wrapped and was monitoring pulse. Firemen uprighted the cart ... others picked up clubs. From what we saw, no one was badly hurt, but they will most likely be very sore tomorrow...hopefully that's all. Soreness will subside.

Please, please, pay attention to where you're turning, driving....in your car or your cart. Carts aren't particularly heavy vehicles and overturning one is pretty easy.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Platinum member

Sorry to see this. Again.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Platinum member

At a meeting yesterday (02/28/12), Janet Tutt re-emphasized her personal dedication to safety of golf cart operations in The Villages.

I couldn't agree more!

Too many of us have forgotten that "everybody else on the road is an idiot; whereas those of us 'in the know' are not!"

Pay attention, Folks!

SWR
Old 02-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Sage
Default You're a bad driver, you're a bad driver and you're a bad driver

I just assume that everyone's a bad driver. Kept me safe so far... Please don't take offense.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Email Reported As Spam

The traffic pattern/design of traffic flow at postal stations leaves much to be desired. for one thing the entrance is not wide enough for two carts let alone two cars.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Veteran member

Especially when golf carts seem to think STOP means yield or go fast to beat the crossing traffic (golf carts). Gonna be lots more accidents, like "bumper cars" at the county fair.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:04 PM

We all better watch out when we are driving our carts. The more accidents that happen the higher the insurance premium and eventually they probably won't insure them. Insurance companies have already stopped writing policies for golf carts when they are in a rental.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Sage

One thing to think about....when your cart falls over on its side, it's not terribly easy to get out! The windshield on this cart was broken in half, well the top piece was. There was no way to really get out of that particular cart. One man did manage to stand, but the other wasn't in any position to do so. He was sort of crouched in one spot. Took a couple of strong people to help him get up.

The Caroline postal station has only one entrance for cars. In the back there is another exit for carts or people walking, but only one main entrance/exit. From what I could see, the cart on Stillwater was in the cart lane heading towards the gate. The cart that hit the Stillwater cart was coming out of the mail station and was about to turn, but I'm not sure in what direction....it hit the Stillwater cart. Mike said the back rear tire that was up, well, that particular section of the cart didn't look so very good.

Here's what showed up on the Sumter County Incident Page: MAJOR ACCIDENT
03/01/12 16:04 (THE VILLAGES - 800 TRS PS 2) SQUAD 51 ON SCENE 2 VEHICLE MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT WITH ENTRAPMENT EXTRICATION IN PROGRESS [FLA074]
Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I just assume that everyone's a bad driver. Kept me safe so far... Please don't take offense.
Why would I take offense. To me, you are one of those bad drivers, just like everyone else. Hope you don't take offense.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
That's how I've stayed alive so far riding motorcycles.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

An interesting look at these accidents. I went back and looked at as many accident reports as i could find. Am sure I didn't find them all so the data may not be accurate. If someone has any ideas as to how to get better information, please advise.

We have insurance companies that wont insure rental carts. Only one that does it a bit under handed. Soon it will be zero. And yet the 22 accidents I was able to get information on, only 2 seemed to be renters. The other 20 owned property in The Villages. And those 2 were what was reported as very minor. How interesting.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
That's how I've stayed alive so far riding motorcycles.
Exactly!

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.