Please Explain

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Veteran member
Default Please Explain

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the Village Home owners Association and the Property Owners Association. Both have sent literature to my house (newbie). Do you belong to just one or both?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Sage

I belong to neither, but read their newsletters. One of the things that made TV attractive to me & Mrs mulligan, was NO mandatory association. We were both involved in condo management in SW florida.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Sage

Here are a couple of previous threads on the topic:

What's the Difference in VHA and POA

Home Owners Association

Links to both organizations' web sites:

The Villages Homeowners Association

Property Owners, Association of Florida

Hope that helps!

Bill
Old 05-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Gold member

The numbered Community Development Districts (CDDs) are the rough equivalent of what is traditionally called a Condo or Community Association wherein a board of trustees elected by the homeowners governs the ongoing maintenance of the common areas with assessment fees.

The VHA and POA in TV are more like special interest groups.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Sage

Oh great now it's going to cost more $$ to move here

And I have to more stuff
Old 05-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Oh great now it's going to cost more $$ to move here

And I have to more stuff
Why?
Old 05-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Sage

jimbo, put your checkbook away. It's completely elective to decide to join either organization.........or both!

Bill
Old 05-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Sage

I know just fooling around on a rainy wet day in NY
Old 05-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Platinum member

RedChariot should, I think, know that there really seems to be a distinct difference between the two.

The VHA supports The Developer in every way. The POA appears to fight The Developer at every turn.

Both organizations are extremely important to our Lifestyle.

The VHA has been accused of glossing over any 'blemishes' there might be in The Villages.

The POA has been accused of magnifying every 'blemish' they see, sometimes ad nauseum.

I belong to the VHA. I refused from the very beginning to belong to the POA. Much of that was because, until a year or so ago, the POA was so blatantly and aggessively anti-Developer, especially over issues that they beat to death, that reading their Bulletin frequently made me sick.

A change in the POA big-wigs has toned down the rhetoric a little, but I am not sure the 'displeasure' with The Developer has been muted, at all!

That said, even POA members agree that there is no other place like The Villages!

IMHO.

SWR
Old 05-02-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
I refused from the very beginning to belong to the POA. Much of that was because, until a year or so ago, the POA was so blatantly and aggessively anti-Developer, especially over issues that they beat to death, that reading their Bulletin frequently made me sick.

Really?? You got sick because someone was sticking up for the 'People'? Hello out there!!! The developer is only in this for one reason - MONEY!!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Veteran member

In case some may have not remembered this, or ever been aware of this, here is what the POA accomplished. The VHA did nothing, and wouldn't do anything. Notice the article mentions 6 major law firms wouldn't take the case against Morse.

http://www.ccfj.net/CDDVillages$40milllawsuit.html
Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Veteran member

Property Owners, Association of Florida

Use this link to the POA and then click on the "Class Action Lawsuit" link on the left and then go to Villages Settles Class Action Lawsuit.

Can't get the first link to work for some reason.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
RedChariot should, I think, know that there really seems to be a distinct difference between the two.

The VHA supports The Developer in every way. The POA appears to fight The Developer at every turn.

Both organizations are extremely important to our Lifestyle.

The VHA has been accused of glossing over any 'blemishes' there might be in The Villages.

The POA has been accused of magnifying every 'blemish' they see, sometimes ad nauseum.

I belong to the VHA. I refused from the very beginning to belong to the POA. Much of that was because, until a year or so ago, the POA was so blatantly and aggessively anti-Developer, especially over issues that they beat to death, that reading their Bulletin frequently made me sick.

A change in the POA big-wigs has toned down the rhetoric a little, but I am not sure the 'displeasure' with The Developer has been muted, at all!

That said, even POA members agree that there is no other place like The Villages!

IMHO.

SWR

I do feel there has been a significant improvement in the POA in the past eighteen months. I believe also a change in leadership happened about that time. Before that the POA Bulletin was so negative I could hardly get by the first paragraph.

I don't believe in all positives and I equally do not believe in all negatives and all I have to do to know the developer is NOT just after money is to look at and lift a chair in any of the rec centers. He could have given us run of the mill folding chairs and he could have kept the money. That is just ONE example.

I was told that the lawyers who brought the suit against the developer, those lawyers live here and they profited substantially personally, I think that each of them received a couple of million dollars. Am I wrong?

Also, I read that the president of the POA received a small pittance of fifty thousand dollars. Am I wrong on that??? I still don't know why those people brought suit. It seems that everything is kept up and done as well as anyone could expect. I read it was because there was mold at one of the original rec centers and the cart paths needed widening? I wonder if like many, the people brought suit because of other reasons. Many people hate the success of the developer. And that hate seems intensified if they are the opposite political party.

You are a kind, smart, fair person Steve. This forum is lucky to hear what you have to say.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-06-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Sage

I wanted to jump into the frey here! Folks complain about the developer, yet they moved here and enjoy the life-style! "IF" the developer hadn't developed this wonderful place...where else would you all live?? Yes, he's in it for the money---what did you work your jobs for?? It probably isn't the Utopia that you're looking for but what better place is there to live?? Why is it that the glass is half-empty instead of half-full??

Read the two publications, take what you want from each and throw them away. IMHO
Old 05-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Platinum member

gracie:

As always, thanks for your support. Love ya'

Regor:

I was often "sick" because the tone taken by POA was so consistently negative and so consistently anti, as well as being phrased so repetetively against The Developer and anyone who might support him that the POA's approach was decidedly 'disgusting.'

The POA's approach today, as said before, is much, much more moderate. Not always right, in my view, but so much less confrontational that I can now bear to read the Bulletin!

SWR

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.