Adding on space to existing home

Old 05-28-2024, 10:47 AM
Default Adding on space to existing home

We are thinking of extending the wall from our existing cart garage space to the end of the existing wall at the back of our house. This would end up being about 7 feet wide and 30 feet long. It would enlarge our two guest bedrooms to use as both more storage and more space for a sewing room area. My questions are:
1. If you have done this to your home were you pleased with the results and glad you did it?
2. Approximately how long did it take?
3. If you were pleased with the results which company did you use and would you recommend them?
Thanks for any help.
Old 05-28-2024, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,446 Times in 2,339 Posts

I looked at this for our house, never got past the planning stage due to the slope of the roof. As I recall there was some requirement for a specific slope on the roofs and there was no way I could maintain the slope and end up with a decent ceiling height. I may be wrong on this, but check on basic requirements before you invest a lot of time. The building department should be able to give you some help as well as ARC.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasrph View Post
We are thinking of extending the wall from our existing cart garage space to the end of the existing wall at the back of our house. This would end up being about 7 feet wide and 30 feet long. It would enlarge our two guest bedrooms to use as both more storage and more space for a sewing room area. My questions are:
1. If you have done this to your home were you pleased with the results and glad you did it?
3. If you were pleased with the results which company did you use and would you recommend them?
Thanks for any help.
A while back I got estimated to add a 10x12 storage area on the side of the house that required only 3 walls and a roof and minimum electrical. The quotes were outrageous (a total joke) probably 3x what they should cost with a sizable profit marine. If I could find a skilled carpenter I would do the job myself. I have built and estimated 3 homes in the past.
Old 05-28-2024, 04:29 PM
Veteran member

Probably very expensive for what you are getting. As mentioned in an earlier post, the roof line would probably require a major rework, then consider relocation of all utilities that may enter on that side of the home (seems most air conditioning units and electrical entrances are just behind the existing cart "bump-outs". Also consider where the air conditioner unit would be relocated given existing set-back restrictions.

We considered an add-on, but decided it was much quicker, less bother and much less expensive just to find an expanded existing home and move. It took us a year and the watchful eyes of several good sales agents to find one that fit our specifications and allowed us to make relatively inexpensive interior modifications for storage and special uses in "oversized" but under utilized rooms.
Old 05-28-2024, 06:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRcorvette View Post
A while back I got estimated to add a 10x12 storage area on the side of the house that required only 3 walls and a roof and minimum electrical. The quotes were outrageous (a total joke) probably 3x what they should cost with a sizable profit marine. If I could find a skilled carpenter I would do the job myself. I have built and estimated 3 homes in the past.
This is something we are considering. If you are open to it, would you share ballpark figures that you received? PM is cool if you don't want to post here. I understand if you'd rather not say.
Old 05-29-2024, 05:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,364 Posts

Our third house had a cart garage, which a 3 car, plus a pantry would have fit with room to spare. Our roof design would have worked with the addition.

However the cost at the time was $42, 000, plus HVAC had to be revamped on a 13yo house. We passed
Old 05-30-2024, 06:27 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,903 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Probably very expensive for what you are getting. As mentioned in an earlier post, the roof line would probably require a major rework, then consider relocation of all utilities that may enter on that side of the home (seems most air conditioning units and electrical entrances are just behind the existing cart "bump-outs". Also consider where the air conditioner unit would be relocated given existing set-back restrictions.

We considered an add-on, but decided it was much quicker, less bother and much less expensive just to find an expanded existing home and move. It took us a year and the watchful eyes of several good sales agents to find one that fit our specifications and allowed us to make relatively inexpensive interior modifications for storage and special uses in "oversized" but under utilized rooms.
Good idea. I have a friend here who has three bedrooms and two and a half baths, but her home is 2500 square feet. It’s on a small lake on Palermo in La Zamora. About 25 years old. Sale estimate around $600,000. Her master closet is the size of my guest room. Her master bath is nearly as big as my living room. So is her kitchen. There’s a strong room about 8x14. Her guest room has two queen beds in it. And then there’s the big glassed-in lanai. And the over-sized garage. Super-sized. These occur now and then.
Old 05-30-2024, 06:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,004 Times in 5,369 Posts

In my opinion, if you have a great lot with a view, etc., it may make sense to add space to the house. But, if you just have a standard lot, a better option is to buy another house.
Old 05-30-2024, 06:42 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,317 Times in 569 Posts

Great Idea.... Most people will just proceed with the project without ARC approval... also consider the drainage issues you will be creating.. at this age , it may be less expensive to get rid of some of those " collectibles" that your heirs do not want...
Old 05-30-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Great Idea.... Most people will just proceed with the project without ARC approval... also consider the drainage issues you will be creating.. at this age , it may be less expensive to get rid of some of those " collectibles" that your heirs do not want...
Best answer! At this stage of life why keep so much stuff?
Old 05-30-2024, 08:00 AM
Default Adding on

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasrph View Post
Thanks for any help.
We added on about 500 square feet, primarily because we have a great view and did not to purchase a different house. It took 3-4 months for the permits alone. ARC plus county and several progess inspections. Another 6 months before the job was finished. We used a mini-split for the heating and air. Needed no plumbing. There was also a dumpster in our driveway for over 4 months. And a porta-potty. Get yourself prepared for all that.

The biggest issue is that all the sub contractors were very busy so scheduling their time in the right sequence on a timely basis was a challenge for the contractor.
I'm sure this wasn't the cheapest way but we got what we wanted.
Old 05-30-2024, 08:14 AM

There is a house for sale on Wentworth lane. Has the addition you described
Old 05-31-2024, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie-Wildkit View Post
There is a house for sale on Wentworth lane. Has the addition you described
True. And it only costs 925k. Downside is that Buena Vista runs past your back yard. But for that price you can't have everything.

(This is sarcasm for those of you who need such notifications. And yes, I'm aware sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but hey, it's friday.)

Tags
space, existing, long, wall, end

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.