Screening in tiny front porch?

Old 05-22-2024, 11:19 AM
Default Screening in tiny front porch?

We live in a Charlotte with the little front porch. We see people have screened in thier front porches but nobody with our smaller porch. We were thinking of putting in a storm door with screen but then thought what about screening in the little porch. Not only to allow some cross ventilation but a bug free place to sit. Has anyone done this? Will the contractors look at us like we are crazy?
Old 05-22-2024, 11:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,991 Times in 766 Posts

Its your home your choice just get approval, if it makes you happy go for it.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,897 Times in 5,321 Posts

There is a small porch on my street that is screened in. It shouldn't be a problem if you get it approved by ARC. The contractor won't care as long as you pay them.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
There is a small porch on my street that is screened in. It shouldn't be a problem if you get it approved by ARC. The contractor won't care as long as you pay them.
Thanks. We have had to deal with "architectural" boards in previous homes...not fun
The ARC here hopefully isn't as painful? We are talking with contractors who are quite familiar with the process so hoping they will guide us
Old 05-22-2024, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,897 Times in 5,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblesandPat View Post
Thanks. We have had to deal with "architectural" boards in previous homes...not fun
The ARC here hopefully isn't as painful? We are talking with contractors who are quite familiar with the process so hoping they will guide us
ARC is easy to deal with. But don't trust the contractor to get the approval. Do it yourself.
Old 05-22-2024, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,337 Times in 2,308 Posts

Quote:
You can call or go to the office (I think they are in Brownwood now), the form is online and no cost. You fill it out and usually get a reply in 2 weeks. If you include your email address you should get a copy of the final report (PDF).
I would include the color of the framing you intend to use, as well as the screening. I like the dark brown aluminum frame as it shows a lot less dirt, and if the screws rust it does not show. White screening tends to give you some privacy during the day.
Old 05-22-2024, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,241 Times in 2,820 Posts

A few years ago a neighbor down the street was having their front porch screened in, so I stopped by and asked the guy doing the job if he could come over and give me a price to do ours. He came over and told me he would do it for $950, but it might take him about a week to finish the job. He said I didn’t have to pay him anything until the job was done, so I told him to do it. The guy was a subcontractor, working for White Aluminum, but was doing the job for me on the side working for himself after hours. He did an excellent job, working evenings after completing his daily work for White Aluminum. My poor neighbor paid White Aluminum $2,600 for the exact same job. Screening in a small porch is a very easy job and a great addition. We enjoy sitting out there during rain storms, with a roof over our heads, reading the paper or playing a game of cribbage. During the cooler winter months we can keep both the front door and slider in the back both open and get a refreshing cross breeze coming through the house.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
You can call or go to the office (I think they are in Brownwood now), the form is online and no cost. You fill it out and usually get a reply in 2 weeks. If you include your email address you should get a copy of the final report (PDF).
I would include the color of the framing you intend to use, as well as the screening. I like the dark brown aluminum frame as it shows a lot less dirt, and if the screws rust it does not show. White screening tends to give you some privacy during the day.
Thank you!! Very useful info!
Old 05-22-2024, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
A few years ago a neighbor down the street was having their front porch screened in, so I stopped by and asked the guy doing the job if he could come over and give me a price to do ours. He came over and told me he would do it for $950, but it might take him about a week to finish the job. He said I didn’t have to pay him anything until the job was done, so I told him to do it. The guy was a subcontractor, working for White Aluminum, but was doing the job for me on the side working for himself after hours. He did an excelleninformation!

, working evenings after completing his daily work for White Aluminum. My poor neighbor paid White Aluminum $2,600 for the exact same job. Screening in a small porch is a very easy job and a great addition. We enjoy sitting out there during rain storms, with a roof over our heads, reading the paper or playing a game of cribbage. During the cooler winter months we can keep both the front door and slider in the back both open and get a refreshing cross breeze coming through the house.
So glad to hear this..its exactly why we were thinking we would enjoy the screening...
Old 05-23-2024, 05:17 AM

Quote:
We live in a Charlotte with the little front porch. We see people have screened in thier front porches but nobody with our smaller porch. We were thinking of putting in a storm door with screen but then thought what about screening in the little porch. Not only to allow some cross ventilation but a bug free place to sit. Has anyone done this? Will the contractors look at us like we are crazy?
We have a Charlotte with a screened in front porch. Because we have the single garage door our front porch is larger than the model with 2 separate garage doors, but we enjoy sitting out there in the evening and reading.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:05 AM
Veteran member

Do it. You will love it! Be sure to check and see if it is allowed in your development. Ours needed to get a petition going to have the ARC approval needed. My dog loves it!
Old 05-23-2024, 07:56 AM
Default Screen porch

Call Aluminum Contractors in Leesburg they are super nice and great pricing!!!
Old 05-23-2024, 01:17 PM
Default Arc

After you file the arc request, with the help of the contractor, if needed, YOU should attend the ARC Meeting....... if there are any issues you can clarify there or spend more time
waiting on another request. And you can learn why denied if denied. Fill out the form and go to the meeting is the best bet.........make sure you know the pledge of allegiance................

Quote:
Old 05-23-2024, 01:38 PM
Default Screened in Porch for a Charlotte

Quote:
I would call Windows of Central Florida (352) 217-8151 and see if they would install a Enclosed Screen Porch. Our porch is a little bigger and they installed a beautiful screened porch enclosure for us. I believe they wouldn’t turn down the work.
Old 05-23-2024, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,337 Times in 2,308 Posts

White Aluminum (441 Leesburg) is another option for the enclosure, and as noted above be sure to get ARC approval before to start work.

Tags
porch, front, screening, sit, cross

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.