POA Membership

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2010, 06:07 AM
Veteran member
Default POA Membership

We hope to move to TV in the near future, and have found this site to be a wealth of information. After reading manny post on the "IRS issue" , we discovered the POA and their news letter. They appear to be looking after the "best interest" of the home owners. We a looking to join even though we do not own yet. They claim membership of 6500. If there is appox. 50,000 homes, why such a low participation? Is the yearly cost $10 or are there hidden cost?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:45 AM

My wife and I have been here for 10+ years. Like most new arrivals, we joined the HOA thinking it represented the homeowners. Instead we found that it was an organization representing the developer. Like you, we discovered the POA and attended a few of their meetings. It didn't take us long to realize that the POA, and only the POA, is working to represent ALL of the property owners. The reason that many residents do not join the POA is that it has a reputation of speaking the TRUTH and that does not rest easily in the minds of some of the people that believe the developer can do no wrong. Make a casual remark about some deal that the developer has pulled off, and, WHAM. You are labeled a troublemaker. This is unfortunate because we owe a lot to the POA for keeping the developer playing by the rules. The $10 membership fee is for all members of your household. You will not be sorry if you keep reading the POA newsletter. It contains more truths than the HOA and the Daily Sun combined.
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 09-06-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Oldcrabs View Post
We hope to move to TV in the near future, and have found this site to be a wealth of information. After reading manny post on the "IRS issue" , we discovered the POA and their news letter. They appear to be looking after the "best interest" of the home owners. We a looking to join even though we do not own yet. They claim membership of 6500. If there is appox. 50,000 homes, why such a low participation? Is the yearly cost $10 or are there hidden cost?
“If there is appox. 50,000 homes, why such a low participation?”

It is imposable to read the minds of 50,000 home owners. My best guess is the POA is perceived to be in opposition to the developer and the overwhelming majority of home owners approve of what the developer does, after all that is why they moved to TV. The 6500 members of the POA are looking to have a voice with the developer not just be a pull toy. The POA accomplishments appear to be the work of the developer, so who needs the POA.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I believe it was a matter of negative presentation. It used to be, for lack of better words, "a rant" against just about anything you could think of that involved the developer.

It was gloom, doom, and almost irrational vitriol. Like most people, I would pick it up off of my driveway, read a few paragraphs and throw it out.

It has changed in the past months.I would have to guess there is a new editor because it's presentation of perceived problems is better written, full of facts, and not so much opinion and is now interesting and helpful.

Good for them. It was about time.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-06-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:17 AM

See what I mean, Crabs?????
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 09-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Banned

Keep in mind, that as we age and retire, we also have time to worry about things that are not there. Big Brother worry is more prevalent in The Villages than anywhere I have lived and that is a lot of places. If you don't like Big Brother taking care of you, then live on a five acre plot in the middle of nowhere.
The POA newsletter is a great source of information about the community and what is going on. They are not a good source when talking about the Villages and what they OWE us as residents. Some hate a fence, some would put one up if they could. Some like the Veranda and some want a Penera Bread company. Some want kids and some don't. Some etc. etc. etc.

We purchased and moved here with our eyes open and love every thing about the villages except: THOSE THAT COMPLAIN WITH EVERY BREATH.
I see Prejudice red necks here, but not as many as others places we have lived.
I see Grumpy old men and women here, but not as many as other places we have lived.

So The Villages is as bad, but not as bad as other places we have lived.

Chill out and enjoy the best place I have ever seen or lived in.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Eternal Member

I paid $60 for a lifetime VHA membership. POA wants $10 a year. Maybe if they offered a lifetime membership I would consider it.

With the number of discounts I have gotten with my VHA membership card, I think it has paid for itself. I could probably do the same with a POA card.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.

Last edited by zcaveman; 09-06-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:54 AM

After 10 years here it is apparent that the longer one lives here the more likely they are to tire of the do-nothing HOA and instead support and often join the POA. I'm glad we never joined the HOA and we are doubly glad to donate our $10 to an organization like the POA that truly works in our behalf. Over the years they have repeatedly stood up for us when the HOA dared not. (Rhetorical question) Has the HOA ever fought for and recovered anything liike the $40+ mlllion that the POA has gotten back for us?

Last edited by Flying Dutchman; 09-06-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:02 PM

Well said, Dutchman.
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 09-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Gold member

We are members of both the HOA and the POA and feel that both provide benefits to the people who reside here. However, if having to make a choice I would pick the POA over the HOA because they are not hesitant about criticising things that go on here as opposed to the HOA who really doesn't "fight" for the residents.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 09-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Veteran member

The VHA has a reputation of being an extension of the Developer, with the Developer's interests in mind. The POA, although at times in the past a little strident, has clearly had the interests of the residents at heart. The Vision/Objective of the POA is to make The Villages an even better place in which to live, where Residents’ Rights are respected, and local government is responsive to the needs and interests of residents. I think that says it all.

In addition to being an independent homeowners organization devoted to the residents' needs, POA membership also offers many discounts to local businesses. Personally, I look forward to the POA newsletter each month. It keeps us up to speed on issues that affect us. I think we are fortunate to have the POA looking out for us.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
See what I mean, Crabs?????
I assume you directed this comment at Gracie. Gracie is not a Crab.

I agree with her post that the POA in the past attacked and issue in a negative way and rehashed the same comments over and over with each issue, and they were critized for their method. They listened.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Platinum member

My personal opinions may not be worth a h*** of a lot, but here are several:

I wish folks wouldn't use the term "HOA" when referring to the VHA ("Villages Homeowners Association") because "HOA" usually connotes an over-bearing bunch of stuffed-shirts unwilling to bend any rule or regulation established, sometimes ages and ages ago, for the "benefit of the residents!"

Yes, the VHA is closely associated with The Developer. But, it is independent of The Developer and has an admirable history of Good Works for the community in general.

And, the POA has a reputation for being totally anti-Developer. For a number of years, the POA's editorial voice was unbearably vitriolic and all too inclined to "beat a dead-horse subject into the ground!" Recently, they have softened their approach and may well be worth listening to!

I am a long-standing and proud member of VHA. I find myself considering becoming a member of POA simply because they have toned down their rhetoric considerably.

My 2 cents!

SWR
Old 09-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Veteran member
Default POA...how to join?

What is the contact info to join the POA?

Gene & Kathy
Old 09-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
my personal opinions may not be worth a h*** of a lot, but here are several:

I wish folks wouldn't use the term "hoa" when referring to the vha ("villages homeowners association") because "hoa" usually connotes an over-bearing bunch of stuffed-shirts unwilling to bend any rule or regulation established, sometimes ages and ages ago, for the "benefit of the residents!"

yes, the vha is closely associated with the developer. But, it is independent of the developer and has an admirable history of good works for the community in general.

And, the poa has a reputation for being totally anti-developer. For a number of years, the poa's editorial voice was unbearably vitriolic and all too inclined to "beat a dead-horse subject into the ground!" recently, they have softened their approach and may well be worth listening to!

I am a long-standing and proud member of vha. I find myself considering becoming a member of poa simply because they have toned down their rhetoric considerably.

My 2 cents!

Swr
beautifully said!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.