Poisons and Toxins .....all over the place

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2024, 06:06 AM

For those suffering pernicious chemophobia, relocate to a sterilized cave in a remote desert, HEPA filter your air and use a reverse osmosis system for your water. Hydroponic vegies and trap passing varmints for your meat. Stay out of the sun!
Old 04-29-2024, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
So many times I read how residents just spray, pour, paint, spread glyphosate, roundup, and other horrible stuff all over the place. And then our animals walk over the walkways/grass and carry it into our homes on their paws, onto the furniture and beds....... Then they lick their paws to clean them. Does anyone think about alternatives? No wonder there is so much cancer, allergies, stiffness, etc. Anyone have better options for lawn care, cleaning, etc.? Thanks.
There are 2 suggestions…. 1.keep your pet off of people’s lawn or 2. Put booties on your pets paws…..
Old 04-29-2024, 06:27 AM

https://youtu.be/pnuzEbz4hXw?si=J4gXwY-0m6pvg25B
Old 04-29-2024, 06:31 AM
Default Non toxic alternative

Yes too many poisons and toxic products - don’t forget pesticides on food

There are non toxic alternative weed killer and lawn care products

Sold both at Home Depot and Lowe’s. Vinegar and or salt base. Both work great Weeds dead same day

I try to reduce health risks for me and my community by always looking for alternatives to deadly chemicals
Old 04-29-2024, 06:37 AM

Can’t believe so many people responded with snide comments. This would be a better forum if they responded to the issue instead of trying to be rude or sarcastic or what they think is funny.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
So many times I read how residents just spray, pour, paint, spread glyphosate, roundup, and other horrible stuff all over the place. And then our animals walk over the walkways/grass and carry it into our homes on their paws, onto the furniture and beds....... Then they lick their paws to clean them. Does anyone think about alternatives? No wonder there is so much cancer, allergies, stiffness, etc. Anyone have better options for lawn care, cleaning, etc.? Thanks.
Since purchasing our home 6 years ago, I’ve limited the amount of poisons sprayed directly into the garden areas. Some plant diseases really resist neem oils and other not so toxic products so I’ve lost them consequently. My MIL taught me early on; if you have to use a lot of chemicals to help your plants survive, let them die and plant those that are more hardy.
We do spot spay the lawn and trees when we really have to. It isn’t possible to wait out the cycle of infestation and nature’s response here in TV without being unsightly. As for the lawn, you can change it out to a more natural landscape perhaps? Good luck.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:53 AM

I'm truly grateful you brought this up. It's not only affecting our animals; these harmful chemicals are also leaching into our water and air. I'm actively on the lookout for alternative, eco-friendly fertilizers for my lawn and appreciate any advice.

On a related note, rather than using toxic sprays, I've opted for old-fashioned and cost-effective Harris Boric Acid Roach Tablets, and I've hardly spotted any roaches in my house.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:57 AM
Default Dog friendly?

I hear all this stuff about The Villages being a "Dog friendly Community". Boy oh boy, reading things here I can see that is definitely not the case. I see a few dogs here and there but not a huge population by any means. I guess when you want to exercise a dog you carry them to your car, drive 37.2 miles away to a rare area with 0 population, let them get their exercise then return.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:25 AM

Too many people don't care about the internal self. When one doesn't care about the damage these forever chemicals do to every living being, it's a true testament to the demise of humanity. Oh but I have a perfect looking lawn and cancer.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:31 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 549 Posts

I agree, too many chemicals are used for stupid lawns. I read that article yesterday and thought about all the animals that eat grass, and walk on it, like Gopher Tortoises. It's sad that so many here thought attacking the OP was the way to go. The poisons go into lakes and waterways. Forget snakes, coyotes, gators....humans are the deadliest animal in Florida.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:33 AM

What's up with all the negativity?
Old 04-29-2024, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,539 Times in 2,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGuyNJ View Post
I hear all this stuff about The Villages being a "Dog friendly Community". Boy oh boy, reading things here I can see that is definitely not the case. I see a few dogs here and there but not a huge population by any means. I guess when you want to exercise a dog you carry them to your car, drive 37.2 miles away to a rare area with 0 population, let them get their exercise then return.
I think most Villagers are very dog friendly, it's the irresponsible dog owners that are the problem.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:43 AM

When I moved here in January of 2023 I was told I absolutely had to have a pest control company for inside my home and outside or I’d be overrun with various insects. I was also told I needed to hire a company to fertilize my lawn and spray for weeds and insects. Coming from CT, I had no experience or knowledge but I knew one thing for certain… I’m not spraying chemicals inside or outside my home if I can avoid it! So what did I do? I spoke with Master Gardeners from the University of Florida and attended the classes they offer locally. I found a very knowledgeable woman named Lisa Sanderson and she has graciously guided me over the past year. Has it been challenging? Absolutely! Has it been time consuming? Most definitely! However, my lawn looks amazing and I’ve successfully dealt with a few nests of Palmetto bugs (which I absolutely despise), sugar ants and aphids. Diatomaceous earth, Borax and powdered sugar work wonders and are non-toxic. I also ordered traps from Amazon that helped as well. I planted numerous pollinator plants in my gardens to help support the bees, butterfly’s etc. My lawn and gardens are flourishing and I’m incredibly happy to be successful when I was repeatedly told it couldn’t be done.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,002 Times in 5,367 Posts

Regarding Roundup, just because a smart attorney convinces 12 stupid jurors that a product causes cancer doesn't mean that it does. Where is the bona fide research to prove it?
Old 04-29-2024, 07:49 AM

All very valid points and we’ll written - I want to be your friend!
Closed Thread

Tags
paws, place, poisons, clean, alternatives

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.