Politeness

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Veteran member

I'm sorry......I did not mean to infer anything bad about anyone from Brooklyn....or anyplace.
It is just exasperating sometimes to hear how rude, etc us Ny'ers are.

I think the lesson here is that it is wrong to put any whole group in the same basket. The fact is there are good and bad people, nice and rude people everywhere and it is generally wrong to generalize.

I guess we've gotten off topic. I think the topic is the increased population during snowbird season, and weather folks are sometimes rude during this time.

Do you think some of it is just not knowing the local rules, customs, etc? Perhaps a booklet could be made and given folks when they get their ID tags explaining traffic rules, etc,etc. Perhaps you already do that.

It kind of reminds me of some friends of mine who recently moved down to their Florida home here having recently retired. For the first month or so they seemed frazzled and in a hurry all of the time. It took them a month or so to realize that it was OK to slow down and enjoy their new life....that they were not just visiting anymore, but were here for good.

Anyway, I did not mean to offend.....if I did, I apologize. Have pity on me....I've spent a long cold winter up here in NY and cannot wait to return down there to my Florida home.....in 15 days.....

Frank
Old 03-21-2011, 10:35 PM

I believe this is a very important topic because it addresses the essence of what we value here in The Villages. The vast majority of people are patient, polite and friendly. This isn't about snowbirds or any other group, it is about rude behavior. As our community grows, we need to be reminded of our history of friendliness, tolerance, and civility. This really is a great place to live.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
Hopefully they'll be gone soon and we can return to normalcy.
Rather than saying what I think about this comment, I'll just wash my mouth out with soap and try to spread some cheer
Old 03-22-2011, 02:37 AM
Sage
Smile I'll be polite too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francie View Post
I will be visiting for 2 weeks in April and PROMISE to be polite. It's easy to do this by following the golden rule!

Like Francie, I also promise to be polite when I visit TV in July. If you see a blond looking looking lost in a golf cart in July that will be me. And I may ask you for directions while driving the golf cart, so thanks in advance for your help. And be warned in advance, I've never driven a golf cart before.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Acting polite is how we should act when we don't feel polite.

Francie..Welcome!

I won't be here in July Shaumburger, or I would give you both hugs.

Please do NOT consider it impolite if people scream and run when you head a golf cart toward them.

Those carts sure do take off sometimes if you floor the accelerator.

I have an old and slightly used St. Christopher medal. I will leave it on my front porch.

Have a WONDERFUL time.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Veteran member

Gracie, as usual you're the best.
I'm convinced that most everyone there are wonderful.....how can one not be when living in the land of palm trees and sunshine...!

Frank
Old 03-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Politeness

I was reared in the Finger Lakes region of New York where folks had an earthy way about them. In my town we welcomed visitors and enjoyed learning about them and from them. Since then I have lived in a number of places. I loved the Minneapolis area the best and their pride in being "Minnesota Nice" Of course it all boils down to you and your treatment and reactions to people. I will say that the crowding in the winter months does leave some folks short on patience. The best remedy for this is one I learned from my wife. Always have a smile on your face it denotes warmth and approachability.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Veteran member

You know what is impolite? Bashing snowbirds. I love the birds, I have met lots of very nice people. I love it when they are here and I love it when they are not here.

Also, keep in mind, their taxes, home owners fees, etc. help keep YOUR cost of golf and other activities low!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by salpal View Post
You know what is impolite? Bashing snowbirds. I love the birds, I have met lots of very nice people. I love it when they are here and I love it when they are not here.

Also, keep in mind, their taxes, home owners fees, etc. help keep YOUR cost of golf and other activities low!
The birds love you back. These birds are gonna go home once more and try to become Frogs.

Birds and Frogs. Natures best.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:11 AM
Sage

Don't be a-hatin' the snowflakes, either!

Bill
Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker View Post
I believe this is a very important topic because it addresses the essence of what we value here in The Villages. The vast majority of people are patient, polite and friendly. This isn't about snowbirds or any other group, it is about rude behavior. As our community grows, we need to be reminded of our history of friendliness, tolerance, and civility. This really is a great place to live.
I have to agree with this post. I'd have to say that 99% of the folks we've met have been warm and friendly. But the other small % do stick in my mind with their being brusk, in a hurry and down-right rude. First impressions stick! Maybe it's because this type of behavior is shocking, especially when the other majority are NOT this way. I'd say these folks have always been this way...something about "entitlement". I'd not lump it to the "birds" because I'd have to say I've seen it when they aren't here yet. I don't think the original poster was "stirring the pot"...just asking a question due to their observance.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile You'll Notice

You will notice that in my original note I did not isolate the "renters" but rather addressed it to the "residents/renters" as I think when you have the
number of people here both are affected and it is not necessarily just renters. Regarding New Yorkers..I have traveled to all the major cities in
Europe and lived in NY. I use to get a kick out of people saying how bad
New Yorker's were. All the big cities are the same. You have your share of
people in Paris, London, Rome, etc. who are impolite just as you have in NY.
People are people.
Back to impolite in The Villages. I personally feel it is the frustration of all the
crowding, traffic, etc and that drive the attitudes and behaviors. A check
of this is when you are on a cart path, few people are around and someone has a problem almost everyone stops to see if they can help.
The only ones that I really dislike are the ones that try to push ahead of the
others, try to beat the system which is a form of abuse. To them I say go
home whether it is in The Villages or NY or Chicago or Miami, etc.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Don't be a-hatin' the snowflakes, either! Bill
Hey, I like flakes, especially when they're frosted! (Puns intended, but just kidding around) The Villages Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The birds love you back. These birds are gonna go home once more and try to become Frogs. Birds and Frogs. Natures best.
Good luck to you and Kermit on your "try"! The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Sage

Quote:

Salpal .... On behalf of snowbirds, snowflakes and seasonal residents, thank you for that warm fuzzy!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Sage

Quote:

You're so right. A song for all birds! and flakes like me.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.