Political "Information" Calls

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Sage
Default Political "Information" Calls

I really wonder if either of the main political parties think they are going to garner any votes for their governor candidate by disturbing people with robo-calls and recorded messages.

I have yet to meet anyone who said, "Gee, Buggy, I was watching American Idol last night and got a recorded robo-call from the xxx Party about their candidate. It made such good sense to me that I am changing my vote and you should, too. By the way, who won the American Idol final?"
Old 08-09-2014, 03:34 PM
Veteran member

When I worked on a campaign back in '72 a local candidate mentioned he was going to a nearby apartment building that evening to knock on doors and meet the people. A last minute "blitz" before the next day's election.
I mentioned it was a good idea... that there was nothing I would enjoy more than pouring a nice glass of beer, setting back in my comfy chair, switching on Monday Night Football... and then having him knock on my door.
He decided not to go.

I've worked on campaigns but will never do the phone calls. If I find them annoying and don't see any point to them.

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (and more) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo6w...gbuFRTT06nS9pn
Old 08-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Gold member

Yes, they are annoying.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:00 PM
Sage

Another reason for Caller I.D.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:06 PM
Veteran member

Get a Panasonic phone with the ability to block numbers. My current one can block 30 numbers but I just ordered one that will block 250. The caller just gets a busy signal every time they call. I've really cut back on the unwanted calls and would recommend this phone highly as the Do Not Call registry is a joke! This week I've blocked the political calls

Last edited by mfp509; 08-13-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:28 PM

Political calls are exempt from the Do Not Call registry I believe
Old 08-13-2014, 02:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claricecolin View Post
I believe you are correct about political phone calls.

In addition, I think the same holds true for calls from the Fraternal Order of Police.

Both of them are annoying!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:45 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by claricecolin View Post
They exempt themselves from almost everything. Kings and Queens!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:56 AM
Platinum member

You know, they annoy me too, and I never listen to them and hang up as soon as I know what is going on. But I bet there is research that says that the calls do generate votes for a candidate, otherwise they probably wouldn't do it. Unfortunately, too many voters either (1) don't know the issues or candidates and only vote for a name they recognize by whatever means, or (2) vote for the last candidate that contacts them. My rule in retirement is, use caller ID and if I don't recognize the number, then I don't answer it.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
You know, they annoy me too, and I never listen to them and hang up as soon as I know what is going on. But I bet there is research that says that the calls do generate votes for a candidate, otherwise they probably wouldn't do it. Unfortunately, too many voters either (1) don't know the issues or candidates and only vote for a name they recognize by whatever means, or (2) vote for the last candidate that contacts them. My rule in retirement is, use caller ID and if I don't recognize the number, then I don't answer it.
If I don't recognize the number I let the call go to the answer machine, and then I decide whether I want to answer or call back.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Veteran member

I agree robo-calls are annoying and worthless. However, they are a good demonstration of the low level of intelligence and lack of common sense of politicians and their handlers.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp509 View Post
Get a Panasonic phone with the ability to block numbers. My current one can block 30 numbers but I just ordered one that will block 250. The caller just gets a busy signal every time they call. I've really cut back on the unwanted calls and would recommend this phone highly as the Do Not Call registry is a joke! This week I've blocked the political calls
Which Panasonic phone - there are several, and does it have the ability to hold calls in a memory so that you can scroll back through several phone calls? Thanks ..................

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Veteran member

My current Panasonic is KX-TG7731 but that only blocks 30 numbers. It was given to me. The one I just ordered is KX-TG6841 which blocks 250 numbers. It does store calls in a call list as people call - I guess it just keeps building unless you erase it. I can't believe how it has given me such satisfaction to block the telemarketer idiots. I would recommend the 250 capacity though and you must be subscribed to caller ID. Best purchase I've made in a long time!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
I agree robo-calls are annoying and worthless. However, they are a good demonstration of the low level of intelligence and lack of common sense of politicians and their handlers.
AMEN JIM! Call me cynical in my older years but I don't care which party you look at. In my humble opinion they are all out for themselves. Has anyone ever seen a poor politician after they leave office? And yes I still do exercise my right to vote out of respect for all those heroes that gave their lives so that I can.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp509 View Post
My current Panasonic is KX-TG7731 but that only blocks 30 numbers. It was given to me. The one I just ordered is KX-TG6841 which blocks 250 numbers. It does store calls in a call list as people call - I guess it just keeps building unless you erase it. I can't believe how it has given me such satisfaction to block the telemarketer idiots. I would recommend the 250 capacity though and you must be subscribed to caller ID. Best purchase I've made in a long time!
mfp, are you talking about a cell phone or a house phone? I am in the market for a new house phone, and this sounds interesting.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.