Polo

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Gold member

OH Well!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 AM

I go to Polo every week and I know the humor of the announcers. To most of the regulars, the announcers are funny and their light humor brings more enjoyment to the matches. We stay after and socialize with the players and announcers and they are all just having fun.

Try to lighten up and have some fun.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOB View Post
I go to Polo every week and I know the humor of the announcers. To most of the regulars, the announcers are funny and their light humor brings more enjoyment to the matches. We stay after and socialize with the players and announcers and they are all just having fun.

We, too, take in some of the matches and usually with a group of friends. Everyone seems to chuckle and enjoy the commentary by the public address announcers. It's done in fun and never a put-down. During the break in the action you can often see the player, themselves, laughing and smiling at something that the announcer says....
Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOB View Post

I agree TomOB

I never miss a polo game and help with advertising and parking. Lord Lyall's family is the reason we have public polo in the Villages. The polo fields are on his family's land. The real polo fans LOVE these announcers and respect their polo skills. Complain and you will see this turn into a closed private club. Its not part of your amenity fee. You wouldn't believe the price of keeping polo fields and strings of polo ponies etc.
Lord Lyall has opened his private field inside the compound to the polo boosters and the horse clubs. He has lunch, plays demonstration games and explains polo. He has given much time to keep polo in the Villages. There are 1000 fans in the polo boosters club and MANY who delicate their TIME so YOU can go watch polo for almost nothing. This is a GIFT to the Villages from people like Lord Lyall and others that could easily be taken away.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkret View Post
We, too, take in some of the matches and usually with a group of friends. Everyone seems to chuckle and enjoy the commentary by the public address announcers. It's done in fun and never a put-down. During the break in the action you can often see the player, themselves, laughing and smiling at something that the announcer says....
So true.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Platinum member

Is it really necessary to the enjoyment of the polo match? If it offends.............don't do it. Seems simple enough to me.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Gold member

Sense of Humor is different for everyone. There will always be"Bubble Complainers"......
Old 11-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Sage

If the female players and veterans in the audience understand and explain that the comments are said in jest, then who are we (total newbies to the sport) to decide that they are mistreating the women players or discriminating against them??

Sports are a type of "culture" among the players and teams. We don't understand all cultures we visit initially.

Personally, I find it refreshing to see women who stand up to such comments and throw it right back at 'em. Polo is a very rough sport and I'm sure the women know what they're in for and take it as a challenge!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.