Polo

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Default Polo

Did anyone attend the Villages Polo matches today (Sunday, 10/22). It was a Women's Polo event. Wondering if anyone found the announcer as offensive as I with his sexist and one glaring ethnic remarks. His references to the women athletes were offensive and made viewing difficult since there is no way to tune him out. If anyone knows to whom I can direct my concerns in Polo operations, please forward that info.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Gold member

Contact Stuart Campell. I believe his office is located in the yellow house/office bldg that sets behind the paddaock area north of the stadium.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:02 AM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Unbelievaible!!!

This is reason 1 why I come to TOTV less and less.

As a man of a certain age I could be accused of not being very enlightened.

But as a man with a wife and daughter, I can see no reason in this day and age for sexist, racist comments, if these were made as posted.

The real issue is that the original posted made a valid obseravtion, asked a valid question, and had already received a valid response before hit with critisim as a whinner.

She or he may have had a valid complaint, asked how to move it up the line and gets dumped on.

That's not right!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:07 AM
TOTV Moderator

Please address the topic and not each other.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
Did anyone attend the Villages Polo matches today (Sunday, 10/22). It was a Women's Polo event. Wondering if anyone found the announcer as offensive as I with his sexist and one glaring ethnic remarks. His references to the women athletes were offensive and made viewing difficult since there is no way to tune him out. If anyone knows to whom I can direct my concerns in Polo operations, please forward that info.
Sorry you experienced this. Think public announcers would show a little more maturity at their age and in 2012. Some people still seem to be living in 1952.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Location: Brooklyn, NY Queens, NY Village of Summerhill, Village of Santiago

Quote:
Yes, call Stuart Campbell or Paige Boone at 750-7656. I attend a lot of the games but I missed yesterday's matches. The announcers that they use are polo players. Most of the polo players are friends, on and off the field and they do like to tease each other. I am hoping that this was the case yesterday.(but it sounds like they may have crossed the line)
But, if you felt it was offensive, please let them know. Paige, a female player, was playing in yesterday's game, so it would be good to talk to her and get her opinion.
Most of the female players are very outspoken, so I am sure that if they were insulted, they will have already spoken to the announcer. Still, it would be good for Stuart and Paige to know how you felt.
Sorry, you had a bad experience at polo. It is really a wonderful day out and a great sport.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Sage

Hi Mac,
Wish I had been available on Sunday to attend the match. Sorry also to hear that you had a negative experience, and sorry to see you being dissed on TOTV for merely stating an opinion. For those of us who weren't there, what did the announcer say?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi Mac,
Wish I had been available on Sunday to attend the match. Sorry also to hear that you had a negative experience, and sorry to see you being dissed on TOTV for merely stating an opinion. For those of us who weren't there, what did the announcer say?
Yes. Please tell us what happened and what was said that was offensive.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:34 AM

Same thing on Friday matches...he was absolutely horrid........................
Old 10-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeputt View Post
Same thing on Friday matches...he was absolutely horrid........................
Meaning, he said what?Tell us what he said that was absolutely horrid.........
Old 10-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Meaning, he said what?Tell us what he said that was absolutely horrid.........
Curious minds want to know.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Eternal Member

I was there and I don't remember exactly what he said...I remember one bit about the players doing their nails during a break in action...it was that kind of over the top sexist stuff. My impression is that he was actually mocking those who hold those views..while also teasing the players.

Humor is hard...especially, if you are playing that line between serious teasing and mocking the people who use that teasing in a pejorative manner. Steven Colbert does it all the time; but, he's a pro doing it - plus, we are all in on the joke. When the show started, a politician walked out on him cause he thought the show was serious (it was the Nebraska guy who dated Deb Winger).

I kinda feel for the PA guy because I use humor often and have fallen victim to the same misunderstanding.

Please don't take this as criticizing the poster. I think it is totally ok to share your views and, certainly, a case can be made that if your humor might be misunderstood, you might want to avoid a PA mike.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson
Old 10-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geewiz View Post
I was there and I don't remember exactly what he said...I remember one bit about the players doing their nails during a break in action...it was that kind of over the top sexist stuff. My impression is that he was actually mocking those who hold those views..while also teasing the players.

Humor is hard...especially, if you are playing that line between serious teasing and mocking the people who use that teasing in a pejorative manner. Steven Colbert does it all the time; but, he's a pro doing it - plus, we are all in on the joke. When the show started, a politician walked out on him cause he thought the show was serious (it was the Nebraska guy who dated Deb Winger).

I kinda feel for the PA guy because I use humor often and have fallen victim to the same misunderstanding.

Please don't take this as criticizing the poster. I think it is totally ok to share your views and, certainly, a case can be made that if your humor might be misunderstood, you might want to avoid a PA mike.

Well said and well understood on this end anyway.

I have learned that my humor falls flat on here sometimes, but I have come to find out that I am just not that funny.

But seriously what is funny to some is offensive to others...and where do you draw the line? Who knows?

Doing nails seems kind of "not mean or offensive" to me. It is a bit unusual for girls to be the polo players.

I guess to be fair that the next time when the guys play there could be a comment about adjusting cups.

JUST KIDDING!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Location: Philadelphia,PA - Mt Laurel, NJ, Village of Fernandina

Quote:
I totally agree with this post; however, I along with 2 visiting females attended the Friday match. The 3 of us females had never seen polo before so I thought it would be an interesting activity. There were at least a half a dozen times that sexists comments were made and the 3 of us sort of raised our eyebrows. We are far from feminists, we weren't horrified and we have a sense of humor, but we were really surprised that an announcer makes sexist comments in a public forum. I wish I could remember some of the comments but we came away wondering if remarks like that are made when men are playing. Since it was our first time, we don't know. Bottom line is that I think he was out of line.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:58 PM

In updating the original post, I wish to share with you that I did receive a PM from a partipating woman polo player. She apologized for the insensitive remarks of of their regular announcer, Mr. Lyall, and inferred that he was trying to be funny. It would appear that after hearing Mr. Lyall's "jokes" for a long time, the players and some of the audience have accepted that he is "trying" to be funny.

At least one of the TOV responders wished to hear what was so horrid. References to "broken nails", "lost earrings ", and introductions of players as "the housewife", "the nannie" and working in a "service industry" are derogatory to women athletes in this setting. Subtle sexism, sometimes explained away as "joking" is often used to minimize the accomplishments of women in male dominated roles. While perhaps not "horrid" to some of you, subtle sexism is offensive to me and my friends. I went to watch a polo match not listen to a sexist comedian at a comedy club. Mr. Lyall was also way over the top with an offensive ethnic remark made during the introductions when he referred to a player's lengthy name as being "longer than a Mexican's".

I would hope that the Polo Club would bring to Mr. Lyall's attention that it is an incorrect assumption that all who attend polo matches find his "jokes" funny. The use of subtle sexist and ethnic humor of the 1950's that Mr. Lyall may use with his family and close friends is not appropriate as a Villages Polo announcer in 2012.

"there's no such thing as a joke." Freud
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.