PooL Access to Swim Laps

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2021, 08:18 AM
Default PooL Access to Swim Laps

My granddaughter is visiting July 4th for a few days. She is Olympic bound for Swimming
She swims laps everyday for 2 hours daily to keep her times. She asked me …
WHERE IS A POOL IN The V FOR HER TO USE?
Appreciate any help
Old 06-20-2021, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

there's a lap pool @ Everglades rec center, but it can be busy @ times
Old 06-20-2021, 08:30 AM
Gold member

The lap swimming pools are for Village residents only.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Somebody asked this question last year as well. Unfortunately, the lap pools are so busy they are reserved for residents only. The adult pools are not supposed to be used to swim laps, and if she is an Olympic swimmer, she would be frustrated by their short length.

There is a guy in the southern portion that has a lap pool. Also, I wonder if anyone has one of those lap pools that provides a current, where you swim in place.
Maybe someone will offer a pool up for her to use. Try posting on Next Door as well.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:13 AM
Veteran member

How old is your grand daughter?

My niece, an elite NCAA swimmer, had success by going in with her grand parents and talking to the folks at the front desk of the rec center to guarantee them she would go at an uncrowded time and be respectful of the other pool users. She was over 18 at the time.

Note, there are not a lot of two hour windows for lap swimming. And as an elite swimmer, she finished up early as there was no way to do real speed work with senior swimmers in the pool. If your grand daughter needs to do full workouts she might look for a public aquatic center, like the national training center in Claremont.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:10 AM
Platinum member

I hope you get a positive answer to this. I had a niece in a similar situation a few years ago, and she could not, under any circumstances, be permitted to use a sports pool (only family pool).

Please come back and let us know how this goes. Or where you find a pool she can use. I have another niece coming up. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Find the sports pool near you - like suggested above, and talk to the recreation staff.

I assume your granddaughter is not an actual Olympic swimmer, because July 4th weekend she would not close to her taper and would not be leaving her club team, because the actual olympics are 3 weeks later. And since trials were just last weekend two tapers in a month is a precise science.

The rule for residents at sports pools has two purposes - 1) to limit the number of people in the sports pools and 2) to keep young kids from being in the water

Assuming your granddaughter is around 16 or 18 and a nice club swimmer, she would be welcome. I did the same thing for my mid 20 daughter, who swam at Olympic trials 5 years ago - she just swims for exercise now. They were accommodating - we worked around a time that wasn’t busy.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:32 PM

Maybe the powers that be, can pull some strings..To help a U.S. Olympic athlete, swiming hopeful to obtain her dreams... : )
Old 06-21-2021, 04:42 AM

Crazy walkers at the family pool. You bring your grandchild and they continue to walk back and forth, and yet they have open exercise at the sports pools. A family pool would not work for her.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:03 AM

TOO YOUR HEALTH SPA in Lady Lake. Indoor pool.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:23 AM

I had this situation happen to my son. You HAVE to get a form from Recreation Department, wait a week for the bureaucrats to "approve your guest" to use one of the two sports pool where this is allowed. It was quite a power trip for the rec department. We ended up using the Rohan pool. Good luck and stay on top of the application.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:31 AM

Sports pools are for residents over 30 only
Old 06-21-2021, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruca View Post
My granddaughter is visiting July 4th for a few days. She is Olympic bound for Swimming
She swims laps everyday for 2 hours daily to keep her times. She asked me …
WHERE IS A POOL IN The V FOR HER TO USE?
Appreciate any help
Only Village residents can go in sports pool. When my granddaughter, who is a swimmer, was coming I found Leesburg Aquatics. You could check with them.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:03 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Marcy View Post
I had this situation happen to my son. You HAVE to get a form from Recreation Department, wait a week for the bureaucrats to "approve your guest" to use one of the two sports pool where this is allowed. It was quite a power trip for the rec department. We ended up using the Rohan pool. Good luck and stay on top of the application.
Glad this worked out for you. If you ended up getting approval, do you think you should complain about the “power trip for the Rec department?” I think you were extremely fortunate that they waived the rules for your son.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Glad this worked out for you. If you ended up getting approval, do you think you should complain about the “power trip for the Rec department?” I think you were extremely fortunate that they waived the rules for your son.
I agree. Struck me as rude. Everyone wants to change things to fit "their" situation, yet I'd venture to guess, they don't like the rules changed for others. There are some things in life we have to take responsibility for. If you have a guest you need to nurture in a certain way, that is YOUR responsibility, not every one else's.
Closed Thread

Tags
pool, laps, times, asked, daily

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.