Pool enclosure recommendations - Domed or Mansard - Standard or tight screen mesh

Old 03-26-2024, 12:57 PM
Default Pool enclosure recommendations - Domed or Mansard - Standard or tight screen mesh

Hi all

We are in the final stages of pool construction and I'm undecided on a few details of the enclosure. I'd appreciate any informed opinions.

Enclosure shape - I've read several articles about the best shape, domed or mansard, but no first hand accounts from people that have dealt with both. I'd think domed would be easier for leaves and debris to blow off of but I don't know if that's a concern or issue anywhere but my mind. It seems mansard is the preferred choice of villagers by a margin of 10 to 1 based on my rough observations.

Screen mesh - Our current lanai screen seems to be standard spacing (I assume 18) and we do get several small flyers passing through. I don't think they are mosquitoes or other biters so its a minor nuisance. Do you think tighter mesh is worth the added cost? Should we (or can we) add solar screens to the top of the enclosure to help manage the suns rays? Solar screens in the southwest are very common to manage the suns rays but I'm not sure this is a good application for that?

Again, I'd appreciate any informed opinions.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Pollen season is your biggest hurdle. No matter what screen the yellow green stuff just enters and covers furnishings, TV screens, deck and floats in the pool. Even if trees are nowhere close you get to clean it up.

It was suggested not to upgrade screens because we only have full sun in winter on entire pool from sun up to 4p.

Would I change them At replacement, probably not. Our friends have the heavier screen. It’s like the sun is always shading the pool. They stopped heating in the winter because it was too expensive.

We have semi dome/mansard due to the angle of our deck.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

We chose a 75% sun reduction screening only for the roof area, makes the birdcage much more useful.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Sage

When we expanded our lanai and built a bird cage we asked for a mansard shape. The contractor noted "mansard" on the contract but somehow forgot it, drew a dome and got that design approved. To me it reminded me of a quonset hut and we insisted that he stick to the mansard. It was purely an aesthetic design decision, not that there was anything wrong structurally with the dome.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:35 AM
Veteran member

If I had to do it over again I would go domed. I went with Mansard, but then added a canvas covering on about 75% of the top. With a Mansard, they have to build a frame to raise the canvas to allow drainage - I really think a domed top would lend itself much better for this. In addition, I really think that domed looks much better. Just looking at the design and engineering, I'm guessing it may be a tad more expensive for domed.

For screen, we have two large Maine Coon cats. When they chase geckos, normal screen would never hold up to them. I went with pet screen all the way around with standard screen on top. We are going on 6+ years and not one tear in the screen even though the cats have gone up the screens multiple times.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
Hi all

We are in the final stages of pool construction and I'm undecided on a few details of the enclosure. I'd appreciate any informed opinions.

Enclosure shape - I've read several articles about the best shape, domed or mansard, but no first hand accounts from people that have dealt with both. I'd think domed would be easier for leaves and debris to blow off of but I don't know if that's a concern or issue anywhere but my mind. It seems mansard is the preferred choice of villagers by a margin of 10 to 1 based on my rough observations.

Screen mesh - Our current lanai screen seems to be standard spacing (I assume 18) and we do get several small flyers passing through. I don't think they are mosquitoes or other biters so its a minor nuisance. Do you think tighter mesh is worth the added cost? Should we (or can we) add solar screens to the top of the enclosure to help manage the suns rays? Solar screens in the southwest are very common to manage the suns rays but I'm not sure this is a good application for that?

Again, I'd appreciate any informed opinions.
Just my opinion, but as long as there is a door, there will be insects. To me, I'd go with what is aesthetically pleasing to you and your fam. Good luck sir
Old 03-27-2024, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
We chose a 75% sun reduction screening only for the roof area, makes the birdcage much more useful.
Good idea, that will be what we do when the screen needs replacing. Getting tired of playing “whack a mole” with sun spots every visit to the dermatologist.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Pollen season is your biggest hurdle. No matter what screen the yellow green stuff just enters and covers furnishings, TV screens, deck and floats in the pool. Even if trees are nowhere close you get to clean it up.
You got that correct, pollen is a pain in the butt. We have an overgrown wildlife preserve in our back yard and everything gets coated with the green and yellow stuff. Then there are the occasional allergy outbreaks. The last few days have been especially bad with the consistent wind making all the pollen go airborne.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We have an overgrown wildlife preserve in our back yard
you are lucky, we just have a swamp in our back yard
Old 03-27-2024, 11:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
you are lucky, we just have a swamp in our back yard
You gonna drain it!
Old 03-28-2024, 06:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Good idea, that will be what we do when the screen needs replacing. Getting tired of playing “whack a mole” with sun spots every visit to the dermatologist.
Even standard screen knocks ~50% of the UV out. My wife's sisters came down from Michigan last November. Couldn't even get a hint of a tan despite being in the pool all week. They finally dragged chairs outside the cage to catch a bit of sun.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
Even standard screen knocks ~50% of the UV out. My wife's sisters came down from Michigan last November. Couldn't even get a hint of a tan despite being in the pool all week. They finally dragged chairs outside the cage to catch a bit of sun.
I like the sound of that, my crusty old skin needs every break it can get. I regularly get the little "spots" frozen, zapped or dug outta my scalp by the annual trip to the dermatologist (I think he specialized in taxidermy in medical school). I don't think I want a solid top cage but I will inquire for the most sun blocking screen material possible, maybe that's the 75% tinker has.

The more I look at the shape of the top the more undecided I am. From the inside the domes seem to appear more spacious to me, I don't know if that accurate or just my eye. Logically I'd think the mansard (if the highest point on both styles were the same) would be the most spacious.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

If you have a view, a panoramic design is nice.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo.../t-319263.html

Tags
enclosure, mesh, mansard, domed, screen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.