Pool Heaters - Gas or Electric?

View Poll Results: Pool Heater - Gas or Electric?
Gas 5 62.50%
Electric 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2021, 09:12 PM
Default Pool Heaters - Gas or Electric?

We are looking to install a pool heater for our inground pool. 28x12; Approx 8000 Gal.
We had the electric panel upgraded in anticipation of getting an electric heater, but now we're thinking gas may be a better option. Already know we'll need to install a gas line if we go that route. Upfront costs are one thing. We'd rather get an understanding of performance benefits/issues of each and monthly/annual operational and maintenance costs. We do plan to run the heater during the colder FL winter temps.
Pros? Cons? Thoughts? Open to suggestions, but solar is not on the table.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerner View Post
We are looking to install a pool heater for our inground pool. 28x12; Approx 8000 Gal.
We had the electric panel upgraded in anticipation of getting an electric heater, but now we're thinking gas may be a better option. Already know we'll need to install a gas line if we go that route. Upfront costs are one thing. We'd rather get an understanding of performance benefits/issues of each and monthly/annual operational and maintenance costs. We do plan to run the heater during the colder FL winter temps.
I found the need to cool my pool in the summer so it didn’t feel like my hot tub. Hayward makes a heat/chill electric heat pump that is only about $1000 more than a heater alone. Installed two years ago. Works great!
Old 10-28-2021, 09:36 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerner View Post
In the past gas was the better option. Looks like LP and natural gas prices are going to JUMP in price. Unfortunately we can not predict the future. Should give more thoughts on solar if your property has good sun exposure.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:53 AM
Platinum member

We have had 3 heat pump heaters and one solar in different homes over the last 25 years. The heat pumps have been fantastic! And very reasonable on electric bills.

Check on solar, but I don't think in heats enough in the winter. Something about only so many degrees above outside temperature.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbsheriff View Post
I found the need to cool my pool in the summer so it didn’t feel like my hot tub. Hayward makes a heat/chill electric heat pump that is only about $1000 more than a heater alone. Installed two years ago. Works great!
Interesting. I hadn't thought about cooling it in the summer. More research coming up. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2021, 06:15 PM

Agree with the heater/chiller option. I also use a liquid cover and my costs have been minimal.
Closed Thread

Tags
pool, heater, gas, electric, costs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.