To Pool or not to Pool?

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2018, 06:27 PM
Platinum member

When we lived in Tampa we had a pool, built-in hot tub, and summer kitchen.

I am the swimmer in the family.

Our one requirement when looking for a house here was NO POOL.

The people behind us who all put in pools never use their pool after year 1.

I think the answer is what does a pool mean to you.
If it is your dream go for it.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:30 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Real cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
I grew up in Michigan - installed a pool and had it for 20 years - moved to Georgia - installed a pool and enjoyed it for the 8 years I was there. I love pools - love being able to walk outside the door and going in - love the privacy of your own pool. These are all the positives. Also, contrary to popular belief, if you have a salt water pool, maintenance is EASY. I have always done this myself. Very little effort.

I moved to The Villages and, for the first time in 30 years, I don't have a pool. I have room for one - and may add one one day, but have to consider the following.
  1. Your taxes will go up - significantly - for as long as you have the pool. When on a fixed income, this can be a huge negative.
  2. You home insurance will go up - again, significantly - for the time you keep the pool.
  3. Your homes resale value will not go up nearly as much as you think - you will never recover the investment. Make sure you are buying the pool for YOU!
  4. Equipment will need to be replaced regularly - figure on ~$2,000 every 3-4 years if you do it yourself - ~$4,000 if you pay someone to fix it.
  5. The pool surface will require resurfacing - in Florida it will probably be in ~10-12 years.
  6. Plumbing WILL age, crack and eventually leak. This may mean tearing up concrete and resurfacing again.
  7. If you go with a chlorine pool (my 1st pool was chlorine, 2nd was salt) be prepared to spend ~$200/month for chemicals. My salt pool was typically ~$300/YEAR.

Personally, I LOVED having my own pool... but since my new home is only 1 block from the pool, I'll see how that works out first.
Irvalley you are spot on regarding the pros and cons of having a pool. We had pools in our younger days and using them about 3 or 4 months a year it was great for the kids during the summer. Ambiance is the main draw for a pool in my opinion. From our experence when selling a home with a pool, it is more difficult to draw potential buyers. Bottom line, it all boils down to a personal decision. Good luck.....
Old 05-15-2018, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Everyone is different of course. As for me, I don't see the hassle and work of having your own pool as worth it when there are so many great pools here.

Also, if you like to swim, most of the private pools that I see are too small.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:40 AM

We previously had a pool in Fl for over 20 years. When the kids left the pool was rarely used except to cool off after mowing the lawn. Kids aren't at home and I don't mow the lawn anymore. It was aesthetically pleasing, but a lot of maintenance and a money hole. When we moved an absolute must was NO POOL!!!
Old 05-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Veteran member

You also need to realize that not all Villages have Family Pools nearby. Often a private Pool is the only way to go.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:38 PM
Veteran member

I see people building these little bath tub size pools one block from the neighborhood pool. What do you do in a pool that small? You cannot do laps so is it just for soaking? Perhaps skinny dipping? If I want to swim I will go to a pool where I can.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post
You also need to realize that not all Villages have Family Pools nearby. Often a private Pool is the only way to go.
What do you consider nearby? To me pretty much everything in The Villages is nearby.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:08 PM
Gold member

Had a pool up north. Would not look at a house with a pool here in The Villages. You get tired really fast at the upkeep. I think you will become less sociable with a pool at your house. If you want to have a swim just jump in your golf cart. Let them maintain the pool while you enjoy it with no hassle.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Pool

After many pools in our past, we use our Chula Vista pool daily.
Fellowship is wonderful. We call our group the Cocoon. Best of all, the Villages does the maintenance. Maintenance on our spa was $80 in power alone, plus charge from t & d pool was additional $50. Life in paradise is great!

Last edited by jebartle; 05-17-2018 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:19 AM
Sage

We had an "endless pool" in NC, totally enclosed heated and ventilated for year round use--the Admiral would open, the sliders from the master bedroom and swim @ her leisure--I was " the pool boy" , cleaned it and did all the chemistry--since she swims @ least a mile every day--she lives in several sports pools after, tennis and or pickle ball-

IMHO -no need to have your own pool here, especially if you're a swimmer
Old 05-17-2018, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

I thoroughly enjoy our pool, and wouldn't trade it for a second. Being saltwater, there is very little maintenance involved. Weekly or bi-weekly vacuuming, and you're done. About the only thing I add is a cup or two of muriatic acid once a week to keep the pH from climbing. As far as other posters complaining about the "hassle" of maintaining a pool, I feel just the opposite.

Even during the cold time of year when we might not be getting in the pool, I couldn't imagine not being able to sit poolside with a cup of coffee and watch the beautiful blue water.

Pools are not for everyone, but there is simply no comparison between having your own pool and having to use a community pool.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

This is our first pool to own.

Someone told me that part of the pleasure is living with it beside you and that person was right. It is so nice to sit in the morning with a cup of coffee and have the sun sparkle on the water and look through the screen enclosure to see the nicely trimmed bushes and trees that Sweetie maintains by the sweat of his brow.

It is lovely at night to sit with the pool lights on and enjoy company and some cool drinks and conversation.

And I am not an athlete and I can swim in the pool. Enough to raise my heart rate and make me feel as if I exercised. I like floating and watching the airplanes waaaay up there fly over and seeing the pretty blue sky and the clouds.

Sometimes I just can't believe how nice it is to have a pool.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-17-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:58 PM
Gold member

We had a beautiful large pool when our kids were growing up in Clearwater, Fl. It was used daily, except in very cold weather. Hubby and I loved taking a dip after the kids were in bed to share our thoughts of the day and wind down for the night. We loved our pool!
But, when we moved here we did t once consider a pool. We were thrilled with the neighborhood pool around the corner. I guess we go at off hours. Most often we are the only ones there. We find that we share our thoughts of our day and wind down for the night, AND someone else does the maintenance and it is always lovely!
We opted for a fabulous view instead and that, never grows old.
Different strokes for different folks, and for different stages in our lives too, I guess.
Our neighbors who have pools do not seem to use them frequently. They enjoy their pools and the atmosphere it provides and so they are happy.
If it’s a priority to you then go for it!!
Good luck to you in finding your perfect home!
Old 05-18-2018, 03:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

If your thinking about it then do it. You only get one shot at this life so let 'er rip. Best to enjoy before its R.I.P. I thought I found a Courtyard Villa with a pool several weeks back and it was gone before I got the ball rolling with negotiating. You got a whole lot of great advice. You'll figure it out. No more skinny dipping here. Sorry to say its now chunky dunking.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:40 PM
Veteran member

I like pools. They look cool, literally and figuratively. But I will not have a pool for maintenance and liability reasons, or maybe I’m just too lazy. However, after reading Grace’s last post, I’m on the fence.
Closed Thread

Tags
pools, pool, nearby, constant, money

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.