To Pool or Not To Pool

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2011, 03:53 AM
Default To Pool or Not To Pool

We will be moving to TV in about a month; very excited! Part of our "dream" was to have a small salt water pool added to the home in the near future. Now after having spoken to various friends around the country it seems many that have or have had pools complain about the work and expense; some say never again!
Well we still want a small pool but common sense tells me we should pay some degree of attention to the opinions of those who know.
Am still gathering facts and opinions; BLUF; please share any information or recommendations, comments on expense of pool ownership, etc... your information will be much appreciated!
Old 11-27-2011, 04:51 AM
Veteran member

we love ours and the expense is manageable. The hot tub in the cooler months is a great way to watch the sunset znd takes cre of these old bones

Ours is a smallish pool but very refreshing for a quick dip in the heat of summer

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 11-27-2011, 06:37 AM

I have sold and built pools & spas most of my adult life. My wife and I had always had a pool or a spa or both everywhere we lived. We moved to The Villages two years ago. First part time, now full time. I am of the opinion that we will probably never own a pool as long as we are in the Villages. Most of neighborhoods south of 466 have so many pools to choose from it just doen't seem to make sense owning one. I do miss my hot tub and might recommend a swim spa. They can be used for exercise, swimming in place against a strong current, or as a hot tub in the winter especially. They are small enough that maintenance is not much of an issue. Can be covered with a hard locked down cover and in most cases,can be drained if needed to be.
Not sure of the costs, I use to install for around 20k, they are fiberglass and installation is pretty quick and minimally invasive. I might also recommend if you think you are going to want a pool installed make sure you buy a homesite that will accomadate the size of pool and enclosure you might want.
If your building new it would be best to do it when the house is being constructed.
D.G.
"Retired and trying to stay that way"
Old 11-27-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Johnson View Post
We will be moving to TV in about a month; very excited! Part of our "dream" was to have a small salt water pool added to the home in the near future. Now after having spoken to various friends around the country it seems many that have or have had pools complain about the work and expense; some say never again!
Well we still want a small pool but common sense tells me we should pay some degree of attention to the opinions of those who know.
Am still gathering facts and opinions; BLUF; please share any information or recommendations, comments on expense of pool ownership, etc... your information will be much appreciated!
The advantage of having your own "ool" vs. using the many available public pools is quite simple. You get to post a sign that says "ool". You'll get it after a bit of thought.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:25 AM

The best thing about having a pool sized lot is that you have a bit of distance from your neighbors.
We love our pool and have just gone through a few unanticipated expenses totaling just under $4000 for new bird cage screens and a pool pump. They were both 15 years old.
If you are looking for a home look for a lot with access to natural gas as well as correct orientation for a solar heating system. Yesterday the pool temp was 82 after I removed the cover with solar only.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:29 AM
Sage

We have chosen to not build a pool because there are lots pools to use, t's one of the best ways to meet people, no worries with supplies laying around, and don't have to pay someone to maintain it.

That being said.... If it is your dream to have a pool! You should do it! I would be afraid you would feel like you missed something by not having your own pool. Many people in The Villages enjoy their own pool out their back door and would do it again. Had I NEVER had a pool... I would probably build on myself. But that is an experience we have already had (and BTW, enjoyed).
Old 11-27-2011, 09:44 AM

First my disclaimer: my experience with owning a pool is in New England which probably doesn't do you a lot of good. We had an inground pool for about 25 years, but after our kids left, and I was the only one using it, it no longer made sense. We filled it in and planted grass! The costs here for chemicals ($100- $200 per year), winter covers, solar covers, repairs to filtration/pumping system, and gas pool heater along with the labor no longer made it economically sensible. When we move to TV we will have two pools within 5 minutes that we can use yet not have to maintain. Think about it- your amenity fees help pay for that maintenance, so why pay the extra for your own. In the end its "to each his own"!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Platinum member

Having your own pool makes the summer more enjoyable. Anytime I come home from tennis or working in the yard, it's great to just jump in. Very relaxing in the evening too. I do not care to use my pool during the winter and so the solar panels are sufficient for warmth. I don't think anyone mentioned aesthetics in this thread. I like both the visual appeal and the sound of waterfalls. We added a large birdcage when we built the pool and it greatly expands our living and entertainment space. I knew the what the cleaning costs would be and found the additional electric to be less than I had budgeted. To pool or not is a big decision. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Gold member

I would say it depends upon how much you think you might use a pool. Yes there are plenty of pools in TV to use but there are restrictions on hours and who can use them. With your own pool it becomes your pool, your rules.
We also had a pool up north and it did require a bit of work on our part. But it did not have a birdcage over it and thus the leaves etc were a pain. Here the salt chlorinator requires little time to take care of the pool. More time though is required in the summer due to the sun (readings every couple of weeks and maybe adding chemicals). Hiring someone else to take care of the pool may cost around $100 per month.
We spend about $65 per month to run the filter and maybe 1hr per month brushing the sides and vacuuming the pool.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Platinum member

Just as an aside, all the neighborhood pools are salt chlorinated.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:08 AM

Having lived "up north" most of my life, I dreamed of having my own pool so when we moved to FL we found a place with one. I must say it is all I had hoped for and more. I love being able to walk out my door and hop in the pool anytime i want. i'm someone who hates to exercise, but swimming and doing water aerobics seems like fun, not exercise to me. I also like to turn on the underwater lights at night as it gives off a beautiful blue glow. Our pool man comes weekly and takes care of cleaning and chemicals, which costs $125/mo. There is added costs for running the pump but it doesn't seem to be much. We just bought a home in TV with a lot big enough for a pool. We've decided to give it 6 months before making a decision but must confess, I am already missing the joys of our own pool
Old 11-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Sage

Building a pool on my side lot. Using an ozonator for most of the sanitation (small amount of chlorine only needed). I used an ozonator in my hot tub in MA and it worked great. Anyone here tried it for their pool? Not too late for me to change.

thanks,
Old 11-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have a small (12 X 28) pool and cage (1200 square feet) and enjoy both the extra outdoor living space and pool. However it is not cheap. I budget $5000 a year for the pool. So far it has come in around $4000 a year. This is weekly maintenance, repairs, electricity, gas and solar heaters, painting pool deck, screen repairs, extra water, and a few other costs. This cost is very accurate as I have another home to compare electric, gas and water bills with. Someday when I get tired of the expense, I will move to eliminate it, for now we enjoy it a lot.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
Just as an aside, all the neighborhood pools are salt chlorinated.
Gee, the pool guys doing our neighborhood pool told me liquid chlorine was metered into the pool and not "aqua salt". Could be wrong......will ask again tonight when I see the crew.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Question for Pool owners!

Is property insurance, specifically liability, noticeably more expensive with an in-ground pool?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.