Possible fraud alert

Closed Thread
Old 09-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts
Default Possible fraud alert

I received an email "from Chase Fraud Alert" telling me of possible fraudulent activity on my card ending in ####, however, the phone numbers to call DID NOT AGREE WITH THE PHONE NUMBERS ON MY CARD, and the #### was an OLD number that was compromised with the Home Depot data breach.

I called the phone number on my card, and was transferred to the fraud department, and sure enough someone had the OLD card number.

DO NOT call the numbers in the email, call the number on your card, and then discuss the problem with the vendor directly. This is actually a little scary, as the culprits appear to have a credit card number, and my email (which home depot had for email receipts), and were able to create a very reasonable email. I am sure if I had called the numbers on the email there would have been a very different result.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:08 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Its not only a little scary its happening a little too much and credit card companies and law enforcement need to step up their game
Old 09-09-2015, 04:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Best defense against these scammers is to just call the bank/credit card co directly on a phone # you know to be legit and inquire
Old 09-09-2015, 05:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Thanks for the reminder. We can and do make stupid mistakes in that split Second of panic. It's how the bad guys keep winning.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

As a follow-up, it turns out the original e-mail was valid as were the phone numbers as these were the direct lines to the fraud department. In discussion with Chase, it turns out that my OLD credit card number did get out and someone was trying to use it. This activity was shut down immediately. Interesting point, this old number was supposedly shut down many months ago when the Home Depot was hacked. At that time Chase immediately sent me a new card, and cancelled the old card. It is interesting that the old number was still accepted.

So bottom line, Chase was on top of this and provided notification of the possible fraud in a timely manner.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:16 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

A year or two ago I had a similar experience. Someone tried to use one of my old Citibank credit card numbers. I had a call from an 800 number which I did not answer not knowing the caller . Turns out it was their fraud department. I did not trust that is wasn't a scam so I called the 800 number on my card. They connected me with the fraud department. It was real. The problem is when the call or email comes in the fraud department's number is given, a number which one may not be able to identify.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
As a follow-up, it turns out the original e-mail was valid as were the phone numbers as these were the direct lines to the fraud department. In discussion with Chase, it turns out that my OLD credit card number did get out and someone was trying to use it. This activity was shut down immediately. Interesting point, this old number was supposedly shut down many months ago when the Home Depot was hacked. At that time Chase immediately sent me a new card, and cancelled the old card. It is interesting that the old number was still accepted.

So bottom line, Chase was on top of this and provided notification of the possible fraud in a timely manner.
Unfortunately I have found on a couple of occasions that this happened to me, including once when the thieves bought $35,000 worth of merchandise on line and shipped it to Nigeria, that they cancel THE CARD and send a new one, but DO NOT cancel the old number if there are regular subscription charges being made to it, so beware.
Closed Thread

Tags
email, card, number, numbers, fraud, call, phone, home, depot, called, ####, alert, credit, received, receipts, culprits, helps, scary, result, create, reasonable, hope, data, breach, transferred

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.