Postal Key

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2016, 11:16 AM
Veteran member
Default Postal Key

My husband lost a set of remotes that had our postal key attached. There's no form of identification on either the remotes or the postal key. We have another postal key so no issues there but does anyone know what I need to do to get this key duplicated.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539 View Post
My husband lost a set of remotes that had our postal key attached. There's no form of identification on either the remotes or the postal key. We have another postal key so no issues there but does anyone know what I need to do to get this key duplicated.
Ask the people at your Postal Station
Old 12-17-2016, 11:42 AM
Sage

Call the Post Office. 753-3888.
Hope you find your keys!
Old 12-17-2016, 12:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
You can't get those keys duplicated anywhere, but the post office will change the lock on your box and issue you with three keys for it. Check at the post office.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,154 Times in 2,250 Posts

With any luck the key will be returned to post office (Lady Lake) and you will be able to get it there. I occasionally use the Wildwood Post office, and there is a sign stating the cost to replace the lock and keys is around $100. I would call the post office and see if your key has been tuned in, it will have the same number as your spare key.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Ebay sells the lock with 3 keys. Also available from Amazon. You use the existing clip. It is easy to do check it out on you tube. The us postal service controls 1 lock in the postal station the remainder are private property. Replacing locks are a source of profit to The Developer. Replace the lock yourself voila 3 Keys. The cost is 12.50.

The Ebay replacements are marked USPS just like the the originals. No you cannot buy the one key the controls the postal station. No it is not shady to replace your own mail box key, no it is not illegal. Now Charging 100.00 for A 12.50 key now that is...

Last edited by Toymeister; 12-17-2016 at 11:33 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 12-17-2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Ebay sells the lock with 3 keys. Also available from Amazon. You use the existing clip. It is to do check it out on you tube. The us postal service controls 1 lock in the postal station the remainder are private property. Replacing locks are a source of profit to The Developer. Replace the lock yourself voila 3 Keys. The cost is 12.50.

The Ebay replacements are marked USPS just like the the originals. No you cannot buy the one key the controls the postal station. No it is not shady to replace your own mail box key, no it is not illegal, no it is not immoral. Now Charging 100.00 for A 12.50 key now that is profitable.
I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK!!!do you have a link to those on ebay?
Old 12-18-2016, 10:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Well I can't say for certain as I am hundreds of miles away, but I believe those postal locks are known as 1172 sets and if you type that or "postal lock" into Amazon you should get enough pictures to confirm. If it were illegal to replace these a reputable firm, such as Amazon, would not sell them or they would exclude sales to consumers.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:25 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Ebay sells the lock with 3 keys. Also available from Amazon. You use the existing clip. It is easy to do check it out on you tube. The us postal service controls 1 lock in the postal station the remainder are private property. Replacing locks are a source of profit to The Developer. Replace the lock yourself voila 3 Keys. The cost is 12.50.

The Ebay replacements are marked USPS just like the the originals. No you cannot buy the one key the controls the postal station. No it is not shady to replace your own mail box key, no it is not illegal. Now Charging 100.00 for A 12.50 key now that is...
I was told that in The Villages you cannot change your locks yourself. I live in Calumet Grove and they sent me to the Post Office near Spanish Springs. The cost for lock replacement including 3 keys was $25. They give you 2 keys when you pay then when the lock is installed in approximately a week they put the 3rd key in your box.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

Thank you for your reply JGVillages but I only want keys; I don't want to change the lock. Whoever finds the lost key will have no use for it because it's not identifiable so it's useless to the finder. Is there anyway I can just get extra keys without changing the lock itself out. Thanks
Old 12-22-2016, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for your reply JGVillages but I only want keys; I don't want to change the lock. Whoever finds the lost key will have no use for it because it's not identifiable so it's useless to the finder. Is there anyway I can just get extra keys without changing the lock itself out. Thanks
As previously advised......call the post office.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:46 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

There is no legal way to duplicate a postal key. You lose it and the post office changes the lock and gives you three new keys. The cost used to be $25. I haven't heard of it going up. The only real inconvenience is having to go to the Lady Lake USPS to have this done. When you make arrangements, they give you one key. The other two keys will be in your mailbox once the locks have changed.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-22-2016, 05:40 PM
Gold member

Quote:
No. The Post Office wants the lock changed out. Surely a security issue allowing the keys to be duplicated. If they allowed outside vendors to duplicate the key the PO looses security control. I lost 2 keys, along with car keys each time, so i really don't feel a $25 charge is out of line to correct my inability to secure my own keys. It was a lot cheaper than replacing my 2 key fobs. A LOT!!
Old 12-22-2016, 09:44 PM

I had a new lock and 3 keys for $25.00 ,I went to the post office in Silver Lake off of 441/27 Historic side
Closed Thread

Tags
key, postal, remotes, issues, duplicated

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.