Postal Station trash Cans...overflowing

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2020, 09:08 PM
Default Postal Station trash Cans...overflowing

Postal Station garbage.
Why are people putting their garbage in the trash cans at the postal stations? Not all of it its unwanted Mail as bags of what ever is is hanging out the sides of the cans.
People can see the can is overflowing yet they leave their nwanted mail even on top of the can. More unwanted Mail is lying on the ground.
I picked it up and took it home so that the wind does not scatter it all over. Keep the The Villages beautiful. Is it so difficult to take and sort your Mail at home?
This happens a lot at the Buttonwood station. Not sure how the others are.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:42 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forebubba View Post
Postal Station garbage.
Why are people putting their garbage in the trash cans at the postal stations? Not all of it its unwanted Mail as bags of what ever is is hanging out the sides of the cans.
People can see the can is overflowing yet they leave their nwanted mail even on top of the can. More unwanted Mail is lying on the ground.
I picked it up and took it home so that the wind does not scatter it all over. Keep the The Villages beautiful. Is it so difficult to take and sort your Mail at home?
agree, many times we see folks filtering thru their mail for junk right there - to throw out in the postal cans...

we always simply bring all home, and any junk mail (most of the mail...) gets shredded if our address is on it, or trashed at our home.

Bottom line, it all ends up at the same place - why make a mess at the Postal areas?
Old 12-02-2020, 09:45 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
agree, many times we see folks filtering thru their mail for junk right there - to throw out in the postal cans...

we always simply bring all home, and any junk mail (most of the mail...) gets shredded if our address is on it, or trashed at our home.

Bottom line, it all ends up at the same place - why make a mess at the Postal areas?
Why do you shred junk mail with your address on it, anyone that want's that information just has to go to the county tax site and they can see it all quicker than going through trash.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Why do you shred junk mail with your address on it, anyone that want's that information just has to go to the county tax site and they can see it all quicker than going through trash.
That has nothing to do with why. Actually, Why not? That's why we have a shredder. It takes a couple seconds a day. And our names/address aren't on the junkmail mail-back cards or such.
So why? Because we can - and do.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post

The issue isn't whether people put junk mail in the cans, one might even argue that is why the cans are there. The issue is people continuing to leave trash, whether junk mail or other trash, when the cans are overflowing. There is simply no acceptable reason to create that kind of mess.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

I think the whole point of having trash cans there in the first place is so people can throw out unwanted mail, and not HAVE to bring it home with them. I don't think people should be cleaning out their cars in the parking lot and using those trash cans as their personal garbage receptacle. But as far as I can tell, there's no actual rule against it. If it's overflowing often, you should get in touch with whichever governing entity is in charge of your postal area. Perhaps they need to add another trash can. Empty that one out more often. Or have Community Watch make an extra stop every day to remind people that people are paying attention to their lack of consideration for others, even if it's not technically against the rules.

Where I come from, littering is actually against the law and if you're caught doing it you can be fined. That doesn't happen often (the fine part - people still do litter). But when someone is being a real jerk about their bad habits, eventually they do have to pay the price for their inconsiderate behavior.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:43 AM

I could never understand why people do this. EVERYONE pays a sanitation fee every month. It make no sense not to bring your mail home and throw the unwanted mail out.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:48 AM

‘Gotta get a bigger can.’
Old 12-03-2020, 06:02 AM

People in the Villages are from all over. Many areas of the country have no sense of community and it shows here. I bring my mail home.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:52 AM

If the USPS didn't give advertisers ENORMOUS discounts, we wouldn't get so much JUNK MAIL! They pay next to nothing to send us all those unwanted brochures and catalogs. The junk clogs our trash cans; imagine what it does to our landfills!
Why aren't enviro-fanatics screaming about the trees that are cut to create all that junk and the dilemma it creates in trash management? They're so invested in getting rid of plastic straws, but never complain about the extreme amount of wasted paper in junk mail!
Of course, the reality is junk mail saved thousands of union jobs at the post office. Twenty years ago, the USPS was threatening to reduce mail delivery to 3 or 4 days a week. So what? Most messages are now sent via email or text. "Snail mail" is a relic of the past. But, any reductions in service meant the union would have less workers and less dues being paid. Can't have that! The more junk mail to be delivered, the more workers they have to employ!
Old 12-03-2020, 06:53 AM

If it's full put it somewhere else Bingo
Old 12-03-2020, 06:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Postal Station garbage.
Yesterday I was sitting on a bench at the Tierra del Sol postal station after my mile walk from my house, enjoying the kestrel preserve there, when a couple drove up in a gold Toyota (just in case they are reading this). The man got out of the passenger seat with a large soda cup and a big bag of fast food trash and proceeded to stuff them into the trash can there so we could all enjoy it. I thought, “I carry my junk mail home on foot to throw it away. You can’t carry your own garbage home in your car for one minute of driving?” But I said nothing. I’m glad to have the opportunity to vent here.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:04 AM

Perhaps the trash cans should be completely removed. There is no need to have trash cans at the postal facility.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Postal Station garbage.
Some people just like to live like pigs
Old 12-03-2020, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I've seen people standing by the small trash barrels at the postal station sorting out what they want and tossing the rest, and thought, well that's efficient.....but I've never seen the barrels overflowing

Like most of us, we take our 'junk mail' home and toss it...

I have to say that it feels like we are being inundated with many more catalogs and requests for donations this year than ever before
Closed Thread

Tags
mail, postal, station, cans, garbage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.