Potential Deadly Situation

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2015, 06:02 AM
Sage
Default Potential Deadly Situation

The other day I was driving on 484 westbound & I saw a tree limb fall on the road way. If a person or a vehicle was under it they would have been gonzo. It was one of those old oak trees with lots of moss hanging.

How does this affect the Villages. Look at the similar tree branches in the Villages.
Are any of these branches on the verge of falling? Do you think your golf cart or you would survive?

The county should start trimming the moss & inspecting for hazards--its more important than replacing pine straw.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
The other day I was driving on 484 westbound & I saw a tree limb fall on the road way. If a person or a vehicle was under it they would have been gonzo. It was one of those old oak trees with lots of moss hanging.

How does this affect the Villages. Look at the similar tree branches in the Villages.
Are any of these branches on the verge of falling? Do you think your golf cart or you would survive?

The county should start trimming the moss & inspecting for hazards--its more important than replacing pine straw.
I don't think the county would be responsible for the trees overhanging the MMP. I'm not even sure they would be responsible for the trees overhanging the roadways, if the trees are on TV privately owned property.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,941 Times in 2,461 Posts

Especially dangerous when raining and wind blowing
Old 09-29-2015, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If you think about how the potential for some deadly disease increases as we age, it will take your mind off of a tree falling on you.

Works for me.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-29-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:03 AM
Sage

Its not just on MMP its on Buena Vista--I don't care whose responsibility it is --FIX IT--if someone gets killed or injured----this will be a big liability case.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:06 AM
Sage

I think in areas of the country where there are electric wires that alot more tree trimming goes on along the roadways. A friend of mine in Ohio's son was killed by a tree limb falling on his car while he was driving down the road. Probably best to stay out from under the old trees especially during a storm.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:14 AM
Sage

It best to stay away from trees during a storm, but, in Florida storms can pop up with very little warning--just FIX IT
Old 09-29-2015, 07:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Its not just on MMP its on Buena Vista--I don't care whose responsibility it is --FIX IT--if someone gets killed or injured----this will be a big liability case.
It's probably best to have an expert engineer conduct a study to document if, in fact, the accident/incident rate justifies the expenditure of funds toward this effort. Based on reported incidents, we may find that there is no safety issue whatsoever. It may boil down to those who can't survive a tree limb falling on them should just stay at home.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I often wonder about this when I am driving under some of these trees. There's that that's especially scary on the MMP along 466. if you take the tunnel under Morse just after Mission Hills and go right when exiting the tunnel you go on to a MMP that winds around a bit. At the end of this winding section is a live oak branch that reaches almost all the way across the MMP and is only about 8 feet off the ground. There are also several in some of the parks around The Villages and I always wonder what the chances are of them coming down.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

The majority of us probably agree with you. Unfortunately, tbat doesn't change anything. Have you contacted FDOT or tbe county or TV to see about getting the situation rectified?
Old 09-29-2015, 07:37 AM
Gold member

Sorry, can not worry about this stuff.

If one thing doesn't kill ya another will.

Okay - tee time coming up!
Old 09-29-2015, 07:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I often wonder about this when I am driving under some of these trees. There's that that's especially scary on the MMP along 466. if you take the tunnel under Morse just after Mission Hills and go right when exiting the tunnel you go on to a MMP that winds around a bit. At the end of this winding section is a live oak branch that reaches almost all the way across the MMP and is only about 8 feet off the ground. There are also several in some of the parks around The Villages and I always wonder what the chances are of them coming down.

Our 70 ft tall Oak in CA was just cut down yesterday; not danger anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Oak cut down 9-28-15.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	55161  
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-29-2015, 08:39 AM
Platinum member

It is hard to tell how sick some of these oak trees are until they do fall and you see that the core is really rotten. They do have a good root system and can withstand high winds.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:02 AM
Sage

Are any near the gates? I'm working on an idea.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If you think about how the potential for some deadly disease increases as we age, it will take your mind off of a tree falling on you.

Works for me.
Gracie, you made me smile with your post.

It is better to live than exist.
Closed Thread

Tags
branches, villages, moss, falling, verge, similar, cart, important, hazards--its, replacing, straw, pine, inspecting, survive, affect, golf, county, trimming, start, lots, fall, limb, tree, road, person

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.