Retirement community

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2022, 08:14 AM
Default Retirement community

My husband and I want to downsize and live in a smaller home with little maintenance. We have been to The Villages a couple of times and almost moved there.

To make a long story short, our only child moved back to our state and now lives about 10 minutes away from us with our grandkids. I have been looking at 55+ communities here in New York, but nothing as nice as The Villages is here. Did anyone have this dilemma of leaving family for a better quality of life?
Old 08-03-2022, 08:25 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
My husband and I want to downsize and live in a smaller home with little maintenance. We have been to The Villages a couple of times and almost moved there.

To make a long story short, our only child moved back to our state and now lives about 10 minutes away from us with our grandkids. I have been looking at 55+ communities here in New York, but nothing as nice as The Villages is here. Did anyone have this dilemma of leaving family for a better quality of life?
Apparently your only child made a decision at some point to leave family for their own reasons. Wouldn't they want you to be happy with your quality of life?

No dilemma. Make your visits quality time and everyone wins. The kids and grandkids have their own lives to live.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:33 AM

Yes, my son left for the service after graduating college as he did ROTC for air force. He is married now and still is in reserves.

My husband says the same thing. They have their own lives. Yes, quality time is good. They can come down to visit, and I can come up.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,973 Times in 755 Posts

We visit our kid/grandkids and family about 3x’s a year it’s only about a 2hr flight
Old 08-03-2022, 11:05 AM

Mom - cut the cord already. lol
While I understand the desire to be close ( have kids of my own that are far away) you really need to live your life and perhaps more importantly, let him/them, live theirs. With all the tech avail, there are a million ways to remain connected to family and as said, its a short plane ride away and a nice, new destination for them to come visit if & when.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Just mention Disney is just down the road.
You will see grand kids quite regularly!
Old 08-03-2022, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:

It was something I thought about quite a lot prior to our move to TV a couple of years ago, living within a couple of hours of my kids and grandkids. Not so my wife: she predicted that we'd be seeing a whole lot more of our family/extended family than we did before we moved.

She was right.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Just mention Disney is just down the road.
You will see grand kids quite regularly!
Especially if you offer to foot that 1000-1500+ bill per visit, make it an annual tradition and you'll see the kids EVERY year. At least until they are 16 or so. Then you need a lakehouse, and jet skis.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 08-03-2022, 12:01 PM

My husband complains they do not come here that often. I do not know what he means by often, but my son has to work. I can understand that.

I tell my husband we will probably see them more when he goes on vacations. Like someone mentioned, footing the bill will help if they permit me. I think my husband is more apprehensive than me.

I am getting ready. Retire completely and move.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

We are snowbirds. EVERY time we are down, my wife and I both wish our parents would have moved to the Villages. Their quality of life, especially in their 70s/80s would be much superior.
It was nice when our kids were young.
Now, in the winter, while all of us in The Villages are dancing, golfing, etc, my mom sits the couch, on her iPad.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:

that's why we are moving back. grandkids go figure
Old 08-03-2022, 01:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

I bought a place on a lake in NY State, figuring it would be an attractive place for kids and grandkids to come, and then, of course, we'd get to see them a lot. That has worked out nicely. Sometimes, a bit too nicely, but we love it.

When we bought our place in TV (we still snowbird to our NY lake home), we didn't think living in a 55+ community would be attractive to the kids and grandkids. We were wrong. They love TV. They love being in TV, and the proximity to Disney and the other Florida attractions doesn't hurt a bit.

So, come on down, and be prepared for company.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,049 Times in 5,337 Posts

We are here 2 1/2 years and happy to be here but do miss our grandkids and kids.

That is why we drove up north and spent time with them. As they get older school does get in the way of visiting here
Old 08-03-2022, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:

You joined the forum 13 years ago. Takes you a long time to decide! It's not easy at first leaving family but as kids get older they aren't as "grandma and grandpa friendly" as they were when they were under 10. Now that our grandkids are near college graduation and our kids have their own lives & friends we're lucky to see them a few times a year. We do use Facetime and the phone on a weekly basis. You'll get over it real fast. Like some folks here say, just get a dog because they prefer dogs to kids down here! We'd like to have homes in both places but at least for us that's not financially possible.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I would go for the move. But, how about staying put for another year and see how much interaction you have. Also as the grandchildren get older I think you will see the grandchildren less.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, moved, communities, grandkids, york

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.