Pre-Historic Area

Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Platinum member
Smile Florida Land Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
OP, interesting history and information. Perhaps the largest mail-order real estate lots in Florida was Lehigh Acres east of Fort Myers. In the 50's they had approximately 175,000 quarter acre lots for sale. Even today----it's something to see! You can google it for more interesting history and information.
In the early 1970s a developer began selling unimproved lots in Flagler County (north of Daytona Beach) targeting government workers in Washington, DC, with a very aggressive sales campaign that included free dinner in a nice restaurant before the sales presentation.

At the time they were just beginning to put in infrastructure, such as roads, sewers and electric power. A major attraction was that many of the homes were located on a waterway leading to a marina and on out to the Atlantic Ocean.

Like many of my associates, I purchased one of these lots.

The developer fulfilled the promises regarding the infrastructure, the development thrived, many government workers retired there and property values went up for those who considered their purchase to be an investment rather than a retirement destination.

That development is Palm Coast, Florida.

When I retired, my wife and I decided that as lovely as the area was, we preferred to return to Tampa where we had gone to high school, and where most of our friends and family lived.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Maybe the hilighted statement above and/or money/financing?
Then what would prevent the developer from buying it all, installing infrastructure and subdividing it into house lots.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Then what would prevent the developer from buying it all, installing infrastructure and subdividing it into house lots.
The developer owned it all at one time and he subdivided it then and it still is subdivided into house lots.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts

Who or what is LBCV?
Old 07-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Same guess, Doc - money, financing and I'll throw in timing.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
The developer owned it all at one time and he subdivided it then and it still is subdivided into house lots.
So all that remains is to put in the infrastructure and turn it into a neighborhood.

Although I really like the idea of a little airport. How nice would it be to park over there and take a little shuttle to MCO.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Many of the deed restrictions from the 1978 document linked above look very familiar.

o. All Owners shall notify the Developer when leaving their property for more than a seven day period and shall simultaneously advise the Developer as to their tentative return date.

Does anyone still do that?
Yes, the Developer has a box near his front door, just drop a note saying when you will leave and when you will return.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Veteran member

I asked to 2 people in the TV real-estate office today what kind of structures would replace the ones being removed. Answer, something called a doughno.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
So all that remains is to put in the infrastructure and turn it into a neighborhood.
….but first, they have to fill in the sink hole (in the dog exercise field) behind the air gun range, and remove the trees growing out of it….
Old 07-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-flyer View Post
.but first, they have to fill in the sink hole (in the dog exercise field) behind the air gun range, and remove the trees growing out of it.
Nah...just turn it into a retention pond and start a fly fishing club.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:11 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,670 Times in 1,773 Posts

Quote:
Nah...just turn it into a retention pond and start a fly fishing club.
or an alligator farm.

Might also be a good location for a lightning research center.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.