Preserve Homes

Old 05-19-2024, 08:30 AM
Default Preserve Homes

Quick question please regarding homes that abut a preserve within the Villages.

Can a preserve be sold to a developer and homes built?

We currently live in a Village that had "farm land" (cows, horses, etc) nearby and now we have a Walmart Market Place, 2,200 homes being built and low-income apartments expanding.

I get the "buyer beware", "do your due diligence", "look before you leap" and all that. My question is: Can preserve land be sold?

Thank you.
Old 05-19-2024, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,448 Times in 2,341 Posts

I would ask this question to the county zoning department, I suspect the answer will be NO but since I have never seen the legal documents regarding these areas, this would be a guess.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,012 Times in 5,371 Posts

I doubt it. If the preserve contains any wetlands, they would need a Federal permit to eliminate the wetlands, and/or a mitigation plan to replace the wetlands that were affected. This can sometimes be done, but it is very time consuming, bureaucratic, and expensive. They can also be sued by environmental groups.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,336 Times in 2,856 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmspla1952 View Post
Quick question please regarding homes that abut a preserve within the Villages.

Can a preserve be sold to a developer and homes built?

We currently live in a Village that had "farm land" (cows, horses, etc) nearby and now we have a Walmart Market Place, 2,200 homes being built and low-income apartments expanding.

I get the "buyer beware", "do your due diligence", "look before you leap" and all that. My question is: Can preserve land be sold?

Thank you.
If a wildlife preserve is truly designed as a wetland then it can’t be built on. These preserves are part of the storm water management system and are highly regulated by the Southwest Florida Water Management District and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The wetlands are owned and maintained by the Districts and access to the wetlands for maintenance is limited to a small buffer area inside the fences. We have one in our backyard and the variety of wildlife we have witnessed over the years is amazing. Unlike land zoned as agricultural, which is subject to zoning changes, land designated as wetlands is protected. Below is a picture of the beautiful sunset we see over the preserve behind our home : )
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3243.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	104181  
Old 05-19-2024, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,364 Posts

The fare warning was always since we arrived in 2007 never buy a house that backs up to farm, open field, or pasture that’s used for cows.

Because eventually that can be buildable land that not only the developer but anyone that buys the property.

We live on a preserve, that has a wall with a 10 foot drop. The preserve behind our house has some dry areas, and then turns into wet areas, finally actual standing water.

If developer could build houses on the Prairie, they would’ve done it during the building of Richmond. But the wetlands or preserves or depending on where you come from swamp, is a protected area and no amount of money could have changed it from a preserve to buildable lots. Because if it was a possibility it would have already been done

Flood zones can eventually be changed to allow for building. Just because today a 100 year flood zone, behind your property, In 10 year or so it may be rezoned.

Tags
preserve, homes, land, built, sold

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.