Price of Groceries in Florida

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2015, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
The food prices here seem higher than the NYC suburbs. Stores like Pathmark and Walbaums are cheaper and have better sales. I would like to hear a rational reason. Rents, labor and electricity are cheaper in Florida.....

Of course other things are cheaper and better here, but that is off topic.
Usually higher food prices result when there is a lack of competition--i.e., the fewer the food wholesalers, the higher the price of food due to the lack of competition. Despite the high prices on everything we encountered living in NJ, the food was cheaper due to the many wholesalers around, creating stiffer competition than we found in Pittsburgh and moreso in west Michigan, where there were only two main wholesalers.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:38 AM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
It takes a while to learn your way around TV and the surrounding area. When we first moved here I was really surprised at how few choices in markets was available, but over time things have changed dramatically.

I shop at Publix, Fresh Market, Aldi's, WalMart, Sam's and sometimes WinDixie, and let's not forget we have the Market of Marion and a Farmer's Market right here in Spanish Springs and one at Brownwood.

I like Publix because it is clean and they have just about everything I need, however I do not shop there exclusively.

Fresh Market has excellent sales. If you log into their website you will see where you can get information daily on their sales. Their Tuesday ground chuck and chicken breast for $2.99 lb cannot be beat, and the quality is the best - they also do a whole cooked chicken with a whole apple pie for $9.99 on Tuesday. They have specials every day. But one of the best is their two cooked chickens for $12.00 every weekend.

I shop Aldi's on 441 for basics and vegetables, their prices are very reasonable. Worth a visit to check them out.

Our WalMart is probably the best I have ever shopped. Their produce is very good and their prices are excellent.

WinDixie once in a while for their good sales.

Sam's for great prices and because we don't have a Costco's.

I am centrally located and can get to all these stores without having to travel too far, and I am certainly not out shopping every day, I am trying to make the point that there are various shopping venues available to us in this immediate area.
What a great sensible post. Thanks for providing positive and helpful thoughts on this topic.

One note - I am from eastern Long Island. The Wal-Marts there were terrible. Here, and especially on 466, it is a pleasure and a money saving trip with quality foods. And as to Fresh Market, well, that's just excellent and fun. Love their meat and their specialty foods.

Someone above said it well. Shop wisely. It works.

I wouldn't trade TV for anywhere else. I'm here and love it and feel blessed. I do not waste my time looking for places where 'the grass is greener,' or looking only for negatives, real or baseless.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Florida ranks fifth in the price of food in the US, coming after Hawaii, Alaska, Mississippi, and Tennessee
Where did you find that report? I can't seem to put the right keywords together. I understand why Hawaii and Alaska are high but not the others.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Veteran member

Alaska? Freezing cold plus high food prices! And some will complain about Minnesota! If I were forced to live in Alaska, I would probably live on a diet of fresh salmon. Must be a bargain up there.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Where did you find that report? I can't seem to put the right keywords together. I understand why Hawaii and Alaska are high but not the others.
Here
8 States with the Highest Food Costs
Old 01-16-2015, 04:49 AM
Sage

That report explains it quite well
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 01-16-2015, 04:59 AM
Sage

I find food prices to be slightly higher and it needs to be compensated for by shopping more wisely. Shopping wisely will keep one's expenditures to a reasonable level.

I am more concerned about finding the items I need, and in the quality, that I like.

I don't find food to be a large part of my budget and I need to do more pushaways, from the dinner table.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-16-2015, 05:48 AM
Veteran member
Default Thanks for the report!

I'd never have found that report, or the cost saving ideas, thank-you! My new and good friend here in Key Largo,Charlie bought a pineapple that cost $5 and was hard as a rock. Back in Minnesota, where they are not even grown it would be $3! My other concern for next year is finding someone like Charlie who'll be a best friend. Sure, all the TV people I met in December where friendly enough to say hi, but...The area we rent in is people much older than us. I guess I'll have to work on it.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nelson View Post
I'd never have found that report, or the cost saving ideas, thank-you! My new and good friend here in Key Largo,Charlie bought a pineapple that cost $5 and was hard as a rock. Back in Minnesota, where they are not even grown it would be $3! My other concern for next year is finding someone like Charlie who'll be a best friend. Sure, all the TV people I met in December where friendly enough to say hi, but...The area we rent in is people much older than us. I guess I'll have to work on it.
Old people need friends, too.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:17 AM
Veteran member

Carol the lady next door is very nice. And I do 'visit' with some of the older people but did not find a regularfriend. But, like my dad used to say 'the hardest person there is to live with is yourself' so I'll have to work on it.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:34 AM
Gold member

I look at it this way. If you can afford to be in Florida in the winter time, you can afford the groceries!!! Instead of groceries, we should be complaining about the rise in prices, for those who have Comcast!! This months bill, went up 10.00????? I mean wow, without even telling us.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:44 AM
Sage
With the price of gas hovering around $2.00 per gallon, all groceries that are shipped should be coming down. The stores can raise prices in a heartbeat when fuel prices go up, but never seem to get around to lowering them when their costs go down.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:00 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
With the price of gas hovering around $2.00 per gallon, all groceries that are shipped should be coming down. The stores can raise prices in a heartbeat when fuel prices go up, but never seem to get around to lowering them when their costs go down.
Good point!!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Sage

I am in the Blue Ridge mountains in Georgia and paid $2.00 for Florida strawberries today - just curious how much they are at Publix?
Old 01-16-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
I am in the Blue Ridge mountains in Georgia and paid $2.00 for Florida strawberries today - just curious how much they are at Publix?
A lot more than $2.00 I am sure. Last Saturday in Brownwood they were $5.00 a quart.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.