Barking dogs in courtyard villas??

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Default Barking dogs in courtyard villas??

I'm thinking of downsizing and considering either a patio villa or courtyard villa. I am a full time resident and both homes have pros and cons but ever since I moved to TV 4 years ago, I've been warned by some that to sit on the lanai of your courtyard villa may not be a quiet experience since lots of owners leave their dogs in the yard while they are not home and the dogs bark. I am a dog owner but would never just leave my dog outside while I'm out. I totally enjoy using my lanai to read and am wondering if anyone could share any pro and con experiences about this. The patio villas do not have this problem but I'm concerned about having only rental neighbors if I purchase one. Any comments would be welcome...

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel222 View Post
I'm thinking of downsizing and considering either a patio villa or courtyard villa. I am a full time resident and both homes have pros and cons but ever since I moved to TV 4 years ago, I've been warned by some that to sit on the lanai of your courtyard villa may not be a quiet experience since lots of owners leave their dogs in the yard while they are not home and the dogs bark. I am a dog owner but would never just leave my dog outside while I'm out. I totally enjoy using my lanai to read and am wondering if anyone could share any pro and con experiences about this. The patio villas do not have this problem but I'm concerned about having only rental neighbors if I purchase one. Any comments would be welcome... Thanks!
I think there are just as many barking dogs in patio villas as in courtyard villas. And when dogs are left in the front screened area of a patio villa, there is no wall between you and the barks.

However, I think most residents are very considerate and respectful of their neighbours, and will leave their dogs indoors when they go out.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Sage

Buy one on a golf course - can guarantee you a barking dog would not be tolerated on a golf course.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Buy one on a golf course - can guarantee you a barking dog would not be tolerated on a golf course.
spot on
Old 07-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel222 View Post
I'm thinking of downsizing and considering either a patio villa or courtyard villa. I am a full time resident and both homes have pros and cons but ever since I moved to TV 4 years ago, I've been warned by some that to sit on the lanai of your courtyard villa may not be a quiet experience since lots of owners leave their dogs in the yard while they are not home and the dogs bark. I am a dog owner but would never just leave my dog outside while I'm out. I totally enjoy using my lanai to read and am wondering if anyone could share any pro and con experiences about this. The patio villas do not have this problem but I'm concerned about having only rental neighbors if I purchase one. Any comments would be welcome...

Thanks!
Why concerned about only having rental neighbors with a patio villa? We have a patio villa and only one on the street is a rental.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Gold member

We live in a courtyard villa area and have never had a problem with barking dogs. Guess it depends on your neighbors.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Platinum member

We live in a courtyard villa and almost everyone has a dog or two. (62 units) You'd never know it.
All our doggies are beautifully trained by courteous owners and we live happily among them.

There is only one dog that the neighbors find a problem- a beagle that howls for (sometimes) hours, until he's frantic and hoarse.
However, this beagle does not live in our compound, but a distance beyond our village walls- in a cottage home. The sound carries our way and can be heard throughout our neighborhood.

So, in general, it is probably luck of the draw.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Coyotes maybe.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

the voices can carry also in cyv that's why our rep had us rent one before we bought..i loved the private back but the conversations for that six weeks drove me nuts..along with some barking, but i would take the barking over someone on their cell anytime
Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Gold member

I was looking at a villa in mission hills . We parked the car several villas away. As we were walking past one of them a loud barking sound came from inside the villa. The dog continued to bark for quite a while . These things will happen.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:21 PM
Platinum member

I think the problem is usually dealt with by neighbors living near the barking dogs. There were two dogs in a villa that has an open fence onto a retention pond that barked a lot, but now I don't hear them.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 07-07-2013, 11:01 AM

Thanks for all the comments....please keep them coming!
Old 11-13-2013, 03:00 PM

we moved into a large home with a large lanai and we hear our neighbors' dog barking all the time (we hear the from dog inside our house) . The owners live behind us and are new to the area and out working most days (they leave the dog on their lanai for maybe 5 hours or more). I haven't been able to catch up with the owner yet to him/her how awful it is for us (and my visitors) and probably the dog as well. I don't think the owners know how bad it is. The dog must be very unhappy to bark so much.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Veteran member

Most counties have an ordinance against constant barking from dogs. So if talking to the owner fails you can attempt to resolve the problem that way. Here's some info for Sumter County.

Sumter County, FL - Official Website
Old 11-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Platinum member

Dogs don't only bark in The Villages. They do at times bark. It's just their nature. I think most owners would never leave their animal out all day. Seems mean.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.